How Do You Get Your Dog To Stand Still While You Brush?

I have a question...how do you get your dogs to stand still while you give them a good brush? If I get the brush out, I can do down Izzy's back if she's in a sleepy mood but if I do it too much, she gets up and moves but to do anywhere else on her body, it's always a struggle unless I put her up high where she can't get away but then she backs away and sits down, making it very awkward.

I have always brushed her, since she was a little puppy so it's not like I'm introducing something new but she's never really been into it - she seems to be getting worse, though, so was just after some tips that might help.

When Jedi wants to sit while I'm grooming him I put my arm under his belly so that he can't sit. He does it less and less now as he knows what he is supposed to do, but that worked for me. If it's just her back that you want to get to can you just get her to lie on her belly?

I'm pretty new to this grooming stuff but I sit on the floor with Barkly between my legs and my brush him mostly while he's lying on his sides and back. For his back, he's usually sitting. When I need him to stand, I put a hand under his belly.

I still need to train a good solid stand for him.

The dog doesnt tell you what it wants you tell it whats expected.Never brush when sleepy,on the floor,chair.lap .

Place your pup on a high surface with a non slip matt & simply be firm but kind & tell the pup to "stand".

Start brushing with minimal fuss,over talking & get on with the job.Pup will wiggle & move until it understands whats expected.

When pup is brushed do so when awake & in learning mode,brushing a sleepy puppy doesnt teach it anything but to resent what is happening & will not be capable of standing at that time.

We also don t use treats or bribery but our voice for all our showdogs who will stand on a table all day happily if allowed & most certainly put themselves on there with no fuss.

It doesnt happen overnight BUT unless you stick to your guns it will never happen & it isnt that hard.

If pup keeps wiggling then be a tad firmer with your stand command,when it bites at the brush & firm "NO" & your body language must match it.There is no point thinking its cute etc etc because the pup will feels what its doing impresses you by your reaction & play up more.

Its like a child bad behaviour doesnt get rewarded .Good behaviour does but just use your voice & hands to praise at the right moment.

Often people give treats but it doesnt determine the good from the bad just being a wiggle on the table gets food.

I have always trained my dogs to lie flat on their sides for general grooming (rubbing tummy is an easy treat for that) Always on a table or workbench, never on the floor in the play area.

Groom one side, roll over and groom the other side. All feet easily available to trim excess fur and claws. Mats under armpits and around privates don't stand a chance to form and ears can be cleaned too :rofl:

Many of my dogs have dozed off while being groomed. I groom all my own dogs for showing and as pets. Springers, Chows, Samoyed and now a Cavalier.

I know most 'Professional Groomers' stand all dogs being groomed but do what works for you, my dogs are and were always comfortable lying down but never adverse to standing for a ringside tidy up

Edited by Ashka

I have always trained my dogs to lie flat on their sides for general grooming (rubbing tummy is an easy treat for that) Always on a table or workbench, never on the floor in the play area.

:rofl:

"I have always trained my dogs to lie flat on their sides for general grooming"

Great if you are grooming yourself.

All my show yanks where taught to lay but as a professional groomer standing up is preferred :mad

Standing full stop would be great :eek:

We also don t use treats or bribery but our voice for all our showdogs who will stand on a table all day happily if allowed & most certainly put themselves on there with no fuss.

Often people give treats but it doesnt determine the good from the bad just being a wiggle on the table gets food.

Exactly. Timing with treats has to be spot on, and with grooming it's too easy to reinforce the wrong thing. We stopped treating mid-groom with our Afghan and instead made sure we ended the grooming session on our terms then called him in to the kitchen for a treat. Now when he jumps off the table, he heads straight to the kitchen because he knows that is where his treat is.

If you want to use clicker type training for grooming the approach is usually to break down the behaviour so that you are verbally marking and rewarding for parts of it then when that is working well, combining the bits. At first you don't attempt to do a full groom. So you might for eg gently support the dog in a stand, quickly brush her side, mark the behaviour while you do it, then stop and reward. When she's over it, stop. Marking and rewarding for accepting handling (the gentle restraint I've described above) tends to create an animal that is fairly passive during grooming and waits to be prompted before moving during the grooming (which is usually a good thing).

I believe first step is having a grooming table. The dog learns what the table is for. They have limited room to move, and you just have to hold them where you want them, until they learn what it is you want.

I could not imagine trying to train a dog to be groomed on the floor.

Once they are trained, you are open to other things. I used to groom my Lhasa's on the coffee table in front of the TV, on a towel, but they already knew the drill.

I believe first step is having a grooming table. The dog learns what the table is for. They have limited room to move, and you just have to hold them where you want them, until they learn what it is you want.

I could not imagine trying to train a dog to be groomed on the floor.

Once they are trained, you are open to other things. I used to groom my Lhasa's on the coffee table in front of the TV, on a towel, but they already knew the drill.

:laugh: I used to use the coffee table too but when dogs with tails came along, the coffee tables disappeared from the living area because we had too many coffee cup casualties. Isn't unheard of to see me sitting on the floor in front of the TV with an American Cocker laying on its side in front of me. But again, they knew that if I wanted them to lay down, it was brush time and time to lay still because they had already been taught that on the table from the first time they were groomed. Most just go to sleep.

The most important thing with anything is to start as you mean to continue.

Your dog has to stand on a table & get used to the one place & know it is grooming time.

Once its trained you can just say brush,or whatever word,& do it anywhere you want.

If its a wriggle bum try putting a coffee table near a cupboard door handle or somewhere you can hook a lead around. Put the lead on,secure it & make your dog stand & start at the back legs. Kneel down & keep it low so it cant jump & injure its neck. Keep telling your dog stand & verbally discipline in a sharp voice if it wriggles or sits. The dog cannot obey if it does not understand what you want it to do. So talk to it. This leg,chin up,belly etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Henshcke's a lot better since I changed the brush to a slicker brush. He seems to enjoy it a lot more as well. I've had a bit of trouble with him, but started a quick brush every day and giving him a treat for each section. Brush the left ear, treat and brush the right ear, treat. Seems to work well.

I'm just happy that he now stands there, doesn't chew the brush and lets me brush him.

Next thing will be to trim his paws and nails...