Whippet With Swollen Face

About a week ago, before an early morning walk, I noticed that my 8 year old whippet's face was swollen under the jaw on the right side. I took him to the vet a couple of hours later but by that time the swelling had gone down. The vet thought it may be an allergy (Bobby has also occasionally been making these odd nasal honking noises - NOT reverse sneezing, sneezing nor coughing) for the past month. He was given a cortisone injection and the swelling and "honking" didn't reoccur ... until this morning.

I've taken photos this time - the swelling you can see is simply fluid.

post-21410-1219531775_thumb.jpg

post-21410-1219531796_thumb.jpg

The vet checked his teeth, heart and lungs and all are OK.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Hope its not the same as my Basenji Boy just had. It swelled up in the same place then went down. It went up again last week then burst leaving a hole the size of a ten cent coin under his right ear. Took him to the vet and it ws an absess and he is now on antibiotic with the hope that the hole will close. Good news though it is clearing beautifully and already closing up. He has to wear a collar thing though as he was scratching at it.

Good luck

The swelling didn't go down much at all today and he looks very uncomfortable...will try to get an early appointment at the vet tomorrow.

I hope it is just an infected salivary gland, although the vet checked his temperature during the visit last week. Can he have an infection without running a temperature?

From what I've read on the net, if it's anything other than an infection, treatment can be quite invasive :rofl:

the mother of one of my whippets had a problem with a salivary gland and although I never actually saw it when it was swollen that's the first thing I thought of too when I saw this heading. I think her owner had to get it drained and then anti biotics for her.

I hope your Whippet is feeling better, salivery gland infections can end up wuite painful, I think from the deep dark recesses of my memry that I have seen a small breed dog that had a swollen lump like that and in the beginning he didn't have a huge temperature. It swelled more and the results of a FNA came back as infection and he was on ab's had it drained a few times etc, but in the beginning I think it was a bit the same.

Well the swelling went down over Sunday night and by yesterday afternoon there was no sign of it! I phoned the vet and we agreed to wait until some pattern emerges. For some reason the vet thinks its an allergy even though it only happens on the right side of his face. Personally I think it's a salivary gland that's blocking and clearing. Will just have to wait and see.

:rofl: a salivary gland can block and clear- the thing is to then find out why it's blocking- is there a physical barrier, is it a crystalline blockage, or what :eek:

my mum has a blocked duct- and she also gets a swelling under the jaw.

We do solve it temporarily (hers is due to crystals) by her sucking a piece of lemon! The gland squirts out extra saliva in a hurry and flushes the crystals away :rolleyes: (til next time)

I have an Italian Greyhound and a lump suddenly came up on his neck area. The vet gave me antibiotics for infection, then we had a needle aspiration and finally it was diagnosed as a burst salivary gland, a rare occurrence and indeed an expensive one.

When I went to collect him, I had an awful shock, I'm very squeamish and he had a tube threaded through his throat draining on both sides with the effect of a waterfall of blood and fluid coming down his chest. I had to leave him in the vet, couldn't cope.

About 3 weeks after, the lump came up again and we had to go through the whole thing again ... the vet said he obviously hadn't removed the whole thing the first time.

I have an Italian Greyhound and a lump suddenly came up on his neck area. The vet gave me antibiotics for infection, then we had a needle aspiration and finally it was diagnosed as a burst salivary gland, a rare occurrence and indeed an expensive one.

When I went to collect him, I had an awful shock, I'm very squeamish and he had a tube threaded through his throat draining on both sides with the effect of a waterfall of blood and fluid coming down his chest. I had to leave him in the vet, couldn't cope.

About 3 weeks after, the lump came up again and we had to go through the whole thing again ... the vet said he obviously hadn't removed the whole thing the first time.

What happened to your IG is what I'm afraid of - that's why I'm so keen to get a diagnosis asap, and perhaps prevent the gland bursting. Did the lump initially come and go, before it was diagnosed?

It's very frustrating. I get the impression that very senior vets will not consider a diagnosis because a condition is rare, whereas those with a middle range of experience will consider something as possible, even if they haven't seen it before.

The neck is swollen again this morning (although not at it's worst). Hopefully I can get an appointment in the next few hours so they can have another look at it. At least I have photos this time.

He saw the other senior vet yesterday at the clinic who, like the other one, thinks it's allergy related. He said the position of the fluid doesn't indicate salivary problems, nor is there any indication of swollen salivary glands.

He believes the lymph fluid isn't draining away from bobby's face and this could either be caused by an allergic reaction or some sort of mechanical problem.

Bobby has been prescribed Prednil for 7 days and I'm to call Monday. If there is no improvement he will have to have a chest x-ray.

He had his first tablet last night, but the swelling is bad this morning... :)

How's he going now? Hope there's an improvment.

He's better, thanks Kirislin. There was no sign of any swelling yesterday, although there's a small pocket of fluid there today.

For the moment I'll reserve judgement on whether the medication is working as this has been the pattern in the past (bad days followed by good ones).

Edited by Mum to Emma

• 2 weeks later...

An update ...

After being on Prednil 1 tablet a day for 7 days, the vet said to cut it back to alternate days. But the swelling immediately returned.

So I was advised to put him back on the full dose. The swelling and snorting has disappeared and after checking in with the vet today, I was told to keep him on the full dose for another 7 days before we try to reduce it again.

I'm not particularly happy with this - it will be 3 weeks on the tablet-a-day dose. All for something (allergies) that hasn't been conclusively diagnosed. :D

If it comes back again, I'll press for blood tests including thyroid.

Strangely the only other symptom/sign of any change to his wellbeing is that he's become a whippet who "shivers" ... Don't get me wrong - he's always been a classic sensitive "whippet on the verge of a nervous breakdown" type of guy, but this trembling is unusual.

Maybe he's just responding to my anxiety about his health :laugh: