Drugs For Increasing Appetite

Zhou Xuanyao

Does anyone know about such a thing ? I know they exist for humans, I wonder if you can get something for the dog.

Jordy is one of those dogs that has some kind of aversion to eating properly. She likes the theory behind eating, as she wont let another dog so much as look in her direction when she has food, but she just dosnt like actually eating it. She has always pretty much been this way. She goes through phases where she does eat all her dinner, then other times when she kind of eat a bit of it, and other times when she will eat next to nothing for days. She is not eating at the moment, its been about 3 days. She has eaten about a cup worth of kibble and about 500grams of dog roll in 3 days.

As a result I would describe her condition as trim. She probably isnt strictly speaking underweight but I would suggest that her ideal weight would be an extra 3-4 kg. She is 16.4kg right now.

I wonder if it would work this way - and im not quite to sure -

But my theory goes get her on something that will get her to woof her food down, get her weight optimum and maintain it for a few months, then hopefully she would have learned the habit of how to eat properly and will feel the need to maintain her weight on her own.

Edited by calsonic350z

Are you quite sure that she doesn't have something wrong with her that is making her not want to eat. Loose tooth, teething, stick in gum, tonsil inflamed? I can recall that abother DOLer, who is a breeder, stated that it is nearly always tonsils that are infected/inflamed that is the cause of a odg not eating. This is unless they have a serious illness like cancer etc.

Nutrigel is supposed to work. Get this from your vet or a pet produce store.

or Pentavite which is used for babies when they wont eat. Get this from your chemist.

Ok thanks ill check my local pet supply for Nutrigel tomorrow hopefully they will have it.

ellz according to various sources on the internet Periactin is an antihistamine used to for treating allergies - but is commonly used as an appetite stimulate. Thats unusual isnt it.

Well thanks you guys I will buy both products and see how I go. I sure hope something works.

puggy puggy, she dosnt have any other symptons that I would associate with tonsillitis . Apart from not eating she acts as though she is in good health. She also dosnt have a problem barking, ect. Ill keep it in mind I sure hope she dosnt have tonsilitis or god forbid anything more serious :laugh:

I'll see how she goes over the next few days with this other stuff otherwise she can take a trip to the vets to look her over.

She is nearly 18 months. Yes its not the type of food that is the problem. She rejects all kinds of irresistable foods such as chicken drumsticks, mince meat, ect.

ellz do you have any recomendations regarding Periactin dosage ?

taters so encouraging to hear how well Nutrigel works for you dog lets hope it works the same for my girl.

Unless she is becoming too thin I wouldnt worry. Give her the meals and if she turns up her nose take it away. On her starve days try offering the puppy milk (there is dog chocolate flavoured as well) if you are worried about her missing out on calories or put some Nutrigel on her tongue.

Personally, only sick animals need periactin to stimulate appetite, if you thinks it's that serious then see your vet and get her checked, that's what they are trained for. Otherwise work on the training aspect and be wary of internet suggestions for drugs!

Ok thanks ill check my local pet supply for Nutrigel tomorrow hopefully they will have it.

ellz according to various sources on the internet Periactin is an antihistamine used to for treating allergies - but is commonly used as an appetite stimulate. Thats unusual isnt it.

Well thanks you guys I will buy both products and see how I go. I sure hope something works.

Have no idea why the Periactin works, but it does. Is highly recommended by many "old-time" breeders.

"see your vet and get her checked, that's what they are trained for."

Our vets ask us what tricks we have used.Most vets wouldnt have a clue ,being a vet & actually having alternative knowledge is too different things.

Does your girls breathe smell at all??

Is she sterilized??

Personally, only sick animals need periactin to stimulate appetite, if you thinks it's that serious then see your vet and get her checked, that's what they are trained for. Otherwise work on the training aspect and be wary of internet suggestions for drugs!

Presumably you are not referring to Nutrigel as it is not a drug.

Ok well i didnt seem to have any luck with Periactin. I used it for four days. First day 4mg (1 tablet), then I used 8mg for 3 days and no luck.

With the Nutrigel I didnt realise what the recomended dosage was. Its 10g per 5 kg of body wieght if using as an appetite stimulant. My girl is 16.4kg so that is going to work out mighty expensive as a 200g tube $25. I havnt given her a 30g dose yet, but will tomorrow. Whether it works or not dosnt matter as its too expensive.

A poster in another thread suggested nutritional yeast from the health food store for an underweight Chihuahua so I might look into that. Sounds like it works like Nutrigel. Hey at the very least I can still use Nutrigel as a vitamin supplement.

I decided to change her diet. I bought her blade steak and she took that. It works out not too dear and she took it so we'll see how we go with that over the next few days. She does take a bit of kibble too so I started buying Science Diet to replace what I was feeding before. If shes only going to eat a little bit might aswell be the richest in nutrition it can be.

Edited by calsonic350z

• 2 weeks later...

Well she is doing great now on her steak and science diet menu.

Today I took her to the vet for something else, weighed her, and she came in at 18.8 kg ! :laugh: I wieghed her again to double check, 18.8. 2 Months ago she was 16.4, thats almost 2 1/2 kg, and she has spent half of the last 2 months not eating ! I dont know whats going on. I suppose she might have just grown, but seems unlikely dosnt it, she is now around 18 months. There may have been something wrong with thier scales I will take her to another vet tomorrow, but the vet nurse insisted that the scales are calibrated properly.

Edited by calsonic350z

my Euraiser didnt eat well for years till Faith my female wei came, when Faith is finished she hangs near my other dogs bowl till the other dog ate or she ate it for her. now she eats really well or she may loose it lol

maybe another dog??

Claire

Thanks guys.

Science Diet has a very low recomended daily serving size because it is so packed nutrients - ideal for a dog that wont eat too much.

Maybe something to try with Bondi aswell - I have been diluting a generous squeeze of Nutrigel in some warm water, and adding an egg and milk. I give her that a few times a week and she loves it.

I didnt get a chance to weigh her on the other scales today, will do it on Monday.

weiz - if I did that there would be world war 3 :cooldance: