Rip Kangaroo

The Funny Farm

:D :( I was driving into work tonight on a dirt road and a kangaroo came full spead at me. I was only doing 60 kmh as the kangaroo's are very bad at the moment. We collided and i braked but just kept sliding and i could see her being flicked around in front of my car which seemed like forever but probably only seconds. I pulled up and then i started thinking i may have hurt her really bad and she wouldnt be dead. I got out and she was still at the front of my 4wd and still twitching but was already dead. RIP Girl

Oh how terrible!! :D RIP poor roo.

I have hit two roo's in the past and I find it very distressing.

The first one jumped away before I had a chance to check it out but it was a BIG hit as I was on the highway at 110km/hr and literally saw it as I hit it!!

At least you know it is dead and not lying there suffering.

:laugh::rofl: I was driving into work tonight on a dirt road and a kangaroo came full spead at me. I was only doing 60 kmh as the kangaroo's are very bad at the moment. We collided and i braked but just kept sliding and i could see her being flicked around in front of my car which seemed like forever but probably only seconds. I pulled up and then i started thinking i may have hurt her really bad and she wouldnt be dead. I got out and she was still at the front of my 4wd and still twitching but was already dead. RIP Girl

that's awful, poor girl but at least it sounds like it was quick for her. I am not sure if you know, you should check their pouch for young.

Yeah i checked her pouch and there was nothing in it thank god, the worst thing is im so careful i dont hit one but i just couldnt avoid her. There are so many accidents and rollovers in the area which are from people trying to avoid them when they come rushing out in front of the cars. Also the wombats are bad in the area and that is one the locals say you dont want to hit

Such a terrible but common thing. We have so many round here - and so many people dont stop - on our small turn off alone we have had to call the police to dispatch several this winter - people just leave to die an agonising death. So sorry this happend to you and RIP roo

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU! for checking the pouch.

I'm a registered wildlife career and i cant thank you enough for stopping to check, not enough people do and babies are left to die slowly, they starve to death in the freezing cold or crows eat them alive.

Thank you so much.

RIP kangaroo. :laugh:

It really is horrible when you have no time to stop, they are just so unpredictable sometimes :rofl: .

Good on you for stopping and checking the pouch :( .

The only other thing I would recommend to you and everyone else on here that reads this post is to check the surrounding area for pouch young. Often at the point of impact the joey can easily get thrown clear of the pouch and end up metres away. This is even more important if the young are a little bit older they might get thrown and then try to hop away, so please if you are unfortunate enough to hit any marsupials when driving, please check the surrounding area for pouch young.

And a last note, for everyone that is unfortunate enough to hit ANY wildlife, please stop and move the animal well off the road. Even if it already well and truly dead, other animals like wedgetail eagles and other birds of prey will likely come to eat the carcass and will end up as road kill as well, so please, even though it is a bit gruesome, please stop and drag the animal well clear of the traffic. THANK YOU!

:laugh: RIP KANGAROO

Yeah its funny that you say that about looking for the joey just incase it was flung out, as the next night not far from her body there was a large female kangaroo with 2 joeys exactly the same size hoping away altogether. So i think she may have adopted a joey at sometime, Ive never seen that before but it did look lovely.

This happened to me last year. It feels just awful. It was a wallaby and I was only going about 60ks, but she just jumped out in front. It was early evening, but dark. I stopped and turned the car around so there would be light. Then I saw the joey in front of the car, so very lucky I didn't hit him too. The mum was not dead and threw herself into the bush when I approached. Luckily the lady in the house nearby heard the thump and came up. She collected the joey in a pillowcase and told me she had the number of a wildlife carer. She knew what to do, as they often dashed through that particular strip of the road. I dropped in the next morning and she said the w/c came out fairly quickly, found and collected the mum, who was by then dead, and took care of the joey, who was in good condition, thank goodness. Now I drive very slowly when going along there.

RIP Roo!

Edited by badboyz

• 3 weeks later...