Sick Dogs

storm

I have 2 dogs in hospital on the drip. They were both healthy and full of beans yesterday normal dogs.

Then around 6pm last night they both became flat, diahorrea which stunk, refusing food and fluid.

Up to the emergency vet, I was thinking coccidia.

Vet tested for Parvo and both results came back as negative and also negative for coccidia.

They have all the symptoms of parvo but tests don't agree. Vet has admitted they don't know what is wrong but will treat as a possible parvo.

How long does it take for parvo to show up on tests? All other dogs have also been tested for parvo waiting for those results. Every other dog is fine all normal behaviour, eating drinking etc.

Any one have any suggestions?

Storm my dogs had something like this last year, one dog came down with very similar symptoms plus vomiting and it rapidly spread to two of the others although the rest didn't get it. My vet diagnosed a bacterial infection and gave them (I think) Trisoprim tablets and it cleared up in a couple of days. The dogs weren't hospitalised and I kept them hydrated by syringing Gastrolyte down their throats.

Thanks everyone, I dont handle things well when the vet states they dont know what is wrong.

Its just so frustrating when you have no idea and to see them go downhill so quick.

One is a 20 month old and the other is a 4yrs.

I have a litter of pups and they are only 7 weeks old and both are fine yet they all live together.

I have spoken to the vet and the result for everyone's parvo test is negative, so thats a relief.

Hopefully they will be able to come home this afternoon if they stop the diahorrea and eat.

Sorry the dogs are not well. Could be bacterial, could be gastro. Tests for parvo will work once the dog is showing symptoms, so if yours had had it, it would have shown when they were tested.

Sounds like giardia, my kids (as did alot of others in the area) had this early in the year from drinking rain water i wont forget the smell.

dogs can get it too, when i worked at a kennel we had a few dogs get it after drinking from a puddle or rain water.

hear is the link http://priory.com/vet/giardia.htm

good luck and i hope they get better soon

Claire

Giardia would fit after reading that info, as we went bush last weekend and the dogs had a ball playing in the mud and semi dried river bed. I would assume they would have drunk some of the water.

When I left last night they were running more blood work as I asked if it could be what was been mentioned on here.

One of the dogs has been on cortisone treatment for a skin allergy.

Will know more after 7am

Thanks again everyone. Its wonderful that everyone is willing to share ideas :laugh:

Lost one of the girl during the night. :cheer:

The other one has improved and will be able to come home this afternoon.

She will have medication for the next week as will every one else here.

Vet has said its a strain of giardia.

Thankfully its a hot day today and everything will dry after being scrubbed yesterday and again today.

Thanks everyone, its a shock in all honestly didn't think we would lose one.

Turns out she had a heart problem that had never been picked up.

Just figured they would stay for a while get better, get a huge vet bill and everything is back to normal.

My other girl is home now, still quite flat but better.

This has been the year from hell, roll on next year

We went out to kingaroy/ esk this is where the dogs would have picked it up, I assume as that is the only place they have been for the last month