Drowning Instead Of Swimming

Mr Bruno has only been swimming a few times and he just can't get it right. Bella always just swam perfectly but Bruno looks more like he's drowning than swimming :o .

He seems to be only using his front paws. His bottom sinks and his front paws go up and down really high and he splashes badly :cheer: . Fortunately he is very fit and strong so he can still keep afloat. All the other dogs seem to be able to swim by themselves. :o

The only thing I can think off is that he is very lean and doesn't have much fat.

Anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it?

Thank you

Edited by BellasPerson

we had one like that - we were trying to teach them in the pool for their own safety

we just continued to support near the belly

got the idea after about 5 consecutive swims in the pool

started with a dogs length from the steps

and increased distance gradually

the dog isnt a water baby but i reckon he could make it out of the water if he had to now

he is lean too but then so was my dachshund who was a natural swimmer and loved the water - all types

Thank you percyk. I will try and support his belly and teach him properly. He absolutely adores the water but has never been in deep water before.

Sounds like I will have to get wet myself :cheer: as we are in Canberra for the next two weeks still. The water is cold here :o . Might wait until we get back to brisbane and it's not too cold for me to get in..

When I first took Kyzer for a swim in a doggy pool he swam as you described, front paws only with a lot of splashing :cheer: we put a life jacket on him and after a few laps he got the hang of it and can now swim fine - he just had to be taught that it's more efective to use all 4 paws under the water :o .

I had trouble with Bailey sinking too, he just couldn't keep his bottom end up the poor fella :cheer: I use the Ruffwear Float coats on my dogs as well, they all swim beautifully with them on :o It might just help Bruno realize how to swim properly by using a life jacket :o

Edited by Weimlover

Mine all swam the same way to start. I have them in a horse pool on a lunge line and tow them in the water for a bit. They splash with the front legs, then when they go under (the front legs not the dog) because you are moving the dog in the water with the lead, they get the idea of moving as they paddle. After a short while they realise they have back legs to move as well! Now the lead is just to determine how many laps we do!!

Thank you everyone. I think I'll try the lead trick before buying a buoyancy vest cause he's not scared and he's fit enough to keep himself afloat. I think he will sort this out quickly.

His working so hard is usefull though because he sleeps for two days after half an hour of swimming :cheer:

Yup Sienna was the most classic "doggie paddler" took her a few swims to get the hang of it and now she is just cocky :cooldance: . If you get in the water with him though be careful he doesnt try and climb up you to get out of the water, its a bad habit and dangerous in the future if you two are in deep water together.

Its pretty funny to watch though - Sienna would make such huge splashes with her front feet :(

I took the dogs to the lake this afternoon and bruno's swimming was a little better. He has his head lower and is splashing less. I will try to take him sun and mon as well and take the lead down.

I will also send him in with a toy in his mouth but bella doesn't let him have them for very long :cooldance:

I took the dogs to the lake this afternoon and bruno's swimming was a little better. He has his head lower and is splashing less. I will try to take him sun and mon as well and take the lead down.

I will also send him in with a toy in his mouth but bella doesn't let him have them for very long :)

I would let them retrieve individually. Bruno is learning to lose (to Bella), and thus confidence may be an issue. I would presume Bella wins over Bruno in most situations? Not ideal.

I was wondering about that but I didn't realise it was an issue. I will tie bella up and let bruno retrieve and win in more situations. I will start now.

Bella is also in charge of burglar detection and bruno only assists if bella is already busy.

Thanks LL :)

Here's a little update. We have been swimming a number of days per week for practice. Today I bought Bruno a K9 Ruffwear float coat and tried him in the lake.

First swim out he was uncertain, second time he was looking more confident and the third time he had it down. He now swims using all four paws and only uses his front paws out of the water when he's turning.

He looked so pleased with himself :laugh:

The coat also stops him from getting his front paws up too high so he had to figure out to use his back ones as well .

eta: typo

Edited by BellasPerson