Lump On Puppy's Back

kleintjie

My 14 week old puppy has a big lump on her back after her vaccination on Saturday. Is it normal? I'm not sure if I should ring the vet or not. It doesn't seem to bother her, she did cry if we touched it by accident for about 2 days. It doesn't appear so sensitive anymore.

Thanks! :laugh:

This happened to our puppy with her second shot.

It showed up a couple of days after and it was the size of half a golf ball!

I rang the after hours vet and he advised it sounded like a reaction to the vaccine but as long as she seemed ok otherwise not to worry and come in tomorrow.

I took her in the next day and they confirmed it was a reaction and is quite common.

It did take a week or two to go down though.

If you're worried see your vet, they shouldn't charge you just to have a quick look, but don't worry too much. As long as it isn't painful and she's acting normal otherwise.

Makes you wonder about these vaccinations though :laugh:

This happened to our puppy with her second shot.

It showed up a couple of days after and it was the size of half a golf ball!

I rang the after hours vet and he advised it sounded like a reaction to the vaccine but as long as she seemed ok otherwise not to worry and come in tomorrow.

I took her in the next day and they confirmed it was a reaction and is quite common.

It did take a week or two to go down though.

If you're worried see your vet, they shouldn't charge you just to have a quick look, but don't worry too much. As long as it isn't painful and she's acting normal otherwise.

Makes you wonder about these vaccinations though :laugh:

Thanks. It's good to know. The only thing that's different is that she is very itchy today. Even when she's sleeping when i pat her, her little back leg starts moving. I'll keep an eye on her and ring the vet maybe.

It must be strong vaccines to make such a big lump. I can see it poke out when she is just standing or lying down. Poor little puppy.

My 14 week old puppy has a big lump on her back after her vaccination on Saturday. Is it normal? I'm not sure if I should ring the vet or not. It doesn't seem to bother her, she did cry if we touched it by accident for about 2 days. It doesn't appear so sensitive anymore.

Same with ours. Happened after 2nd and 3rd shot. Lump went down after a week or so. Nothing to worry about.

Same with ours. Happened after 2nd and 3rd shot. Lump went down after a week or so. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions of any kind to vaccination are a cause for concern. Reactions should see the alarm bells go off.

There are lots of threads on here about vaccination protocol

Reactions of any kind to vaccination are a cause for concern. Reactions should see the alarm bells go off.

There are lots of threads on here about vaccination protocol

True. Even though we were pretty sure it was just a minor reaction I still took Lili in to the vet first thing the next morning.

Lili didn't experience any itching etc so if your girl has more than just the lump I'd take her to the vet just to be safe :( .

I called her vet. He said the lump is a normal reaction from the vaccination. It's very obvious because she doesn't have much fat and is quite lean. He said to keep an eye on her but she's eating, drinking, going to the toilet, playing and sleeping all normally. The itchiness may not be related to the vaccination because it only happened 3 days afterwards.

I'll research some vaccination protocol.

The reaction may not kill your dog now and there's probably no need to rush off to the vet. As an owner I would be seriously researching vaccs and protocols before giving my dog another vacc of any kind.

I agree PPS. It isn't so much the 'symptom' of the reaction that is great cause for urgent concern, it is WHY the symptom appeared in the first place.

For those interested visit Dr. Jean Dodds' Vaccination Protocol .

There is also her Recommended Vaccination Schedule you could read.

Edited by Erny

Trooper got a lump the size of an avacado the day after she got her vaccination, it was on her rump though (that's where she got jabbed).

I freaked out, rushed her to the vet (now my ex-vet) and got told it's just a reaction and that a lot of dogs get it. He said it's because there is no sterilising stuff applied to the skin before vaccinations as it can kill the things in the vaccine - I'm not sure how true that is though, because this vet also told me that one week after Trooper got her C5 she would have to come back and get it again to boost it. I'd never heard of this being done (in an 11 month old dog, not a puppy, and certainly not a week after) so rang a few other vet clinics and got told not to do it as it could kill her.

As for the lump though, it ill get harder as it shrinks (Trooper's took almost 4 weeks). If it gets bigger or she's displaying other signs of illness, I'd be going to the vet to make sure all is well.

kleintjie a lump is a normal localized reaction to anything entering the body whether human or animal. Regardless of it being vaccination,pain relief antibiotics etc.

My vet massages the area really well after the vaccinations of the pups not so much of adults. I have never had a lump form and I am sure its due to the massage/rubbing. But as I said its extremely normal. If you stop vaccinating because of a lump then there is going to a lot of dead pups and babies from vaccine preventable diseases.

If you stop vaccinating because of a lump then there is going to a lot of dead pups and babies from vaccine preventable diseases.

No one .... not even the researchers who have in more recent years investigated vaccinations and their affects and prescribe to a different protocol, advocates NO vaccination. What is more recently advocated are titre tests to determine the presence of antibodies which evidences the body's immunity. The reasoning being that if the system is sufficiently immune, why bombard it with more of the same chemicals and taxation to the immune system year after year?

Edited by Erny

No one here is suggesting not to vaccinate either, but rather to have a rethink about how it's done. Following new protocols pups are still vaccinated twice as babies, it's just they are done later and they are boosted at 14 months plus when their immune system is full developed.

Following those guidelines and titre testing may leave you never having to vaccinate that particular dog again.

I had this happen a few years ago with my Vet(now ex-vet) when Phoebe had the C5.The lump was huge . I took her to another Vet who applied massage and bowen therapy to the area and the lump subsided

I NO longer use the normal C vaccine that alot of Vets still use. Our dogs have the NOBIVAC 3 yearly for Distemper/Parvo/Hepatitis and NOBIVAC Intra-Nasal Kennel Cough Vaccine annually( and I only do that because our dogs go to Boarding Kennels/obedience clubs etc). The Vet charges the same price as if it were C5 but at least the dogs are not getting golf-ball size lumps as they did with the needle C5.