5.5 Month Old Lab Nipping/biting

Samodor

poodlefan- yes your right, spitz breed to what you call a 'gun dog' is a huge difference. And i can admit bigger than i thought. I am dissapointed in myself, as although i thought i had done alot of research, OBVIOUSLY, i didnt do enough and have been in tears for the last 2 days because of it. HOWEVER, i do not believe this makes me a bad person, a bad pet owner.. or anything that i have been painted here.... all it makes me is someone who made a mistake.... turns out im human after all!!!!

And for what its worth, i wouldnt expect my children to train her or deal with her behaviour. She is not allowed around them with out us.

Thank you for your opinion anyhow.

ETA: what we were looking for was primarily a companion for JP.

Edited by Samodor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samador:

poodlefan- yes your right, spitz breed to what you call a 'gun dog' is a huge difference.

Gundogs is what Labs were developed to be and the ANKC Group in which they are categorised. Lots of people call them that. With that background comes people focus, mouthiness (they put EVERYTHING in there) and the need for regular mental and physical stimulation. They were bred to work all day finding felled birds often in water. Fail to stimulate them and they can be amazingly destructive youngsters. That goes with the breed.

Obviously I didnt do enough and have been in tears for the last 2 days because of it. HOWEVER, i do not believe this makes me a bad person, a bad pet owner.. or anything that i have been painted here

Not by me. The pup is what she is.. and what you will make her. With the right training, she will develop into the sort of dog you want but Labs don't come (as I have heard pet shops say) natually quiet and obedient. :thumbsup:

If you feel you aren't up to the challenge, the sooner she is rehomed, the better her chances of a good life are. You don't have forever to teach bite inhibition.

Edited by poodlefan

Young labs can be a handful :thumbsup: The ones I've known can be very full-on,and need a lot of firm calm training .

Labs can be an ideal dog for kids to have around- because of their low body sensitivity, and general lack of concern for loud noises, fast movements etc.

However, these very traits can make training interesting :mad

poodlefan, oh im sorry i didnt mean by you. I meant by the other posters earlier in this thread. I guess i am now defensive in here, as yes, i admit ive made a mistake with this breed, but im not a bad person and im not a bad person to animals. I if anything, love them too much. Hell, we never planned to have 5 cats, but over the years, here we arw ith 5 healthy, gorgeous happy cats lol.

Thank you for the info, i didnt actually read that and i am now wondering why i didnt...... but i am learning and have learned alot.

I have been reading ALOT now, and there is a huge differnece in the breed's... i do believe the psitz are more suited to us. I do have this gorgeous girl's happiness in my heart and i do agree, finding her a home suited to her may be best..... through many tears have i come to that conclusion.

Im rambling. im sorry for being defensive in your reply, i shouldnt have..... your reply was nice and informative. thank you!

I have been reading ALOT now, and there is a huge differnece in the breed's... i do believe the psitz are more suited to us. I do have this gorgeous girl's happiness in my heart and i do agree, finding her a home suited to her may be best..... through many tears have i come to that conclusion.

There is a thread in Rescue where a very patient person has been searching for a young yellow lab female for some time.. might be worth checking out if your girl is yellow.

However bear in mind that there are few puppies where you won't have to go through the mouthy, nippy bouncy stage.

I wouldn't be rehoming just yet- as PF suggests, you will be hard pressed to find a puppy that doesn't do similar things and it doesn't have to stay that way. You might be surprised at the difference training can make to a mouthy puppy. Its no good rehoming this pup and getting another that may do exactly the same things. What happens then?

Obviously the safety of your children is paramount- but i know many similar situations that have worked well. You don't have to compromise on your children's safety when you invest in good quality training and management solutions.

I wont be getting another one right now anyway IF we do find her a home. IF we did, it would be a samoyed as i know the breed.

But thankyou... i am considering everything i really am.

Sorry if I have missed something - but why not give her back to the breeder you bought her from?

I wouldnt give her up just yet. Labs and Samoyeds are both wondeful family dogs provided you put the work in first. They are a great duo IMO and I find that the breed personlities fit very well. I understand that you are worried for your family but no pup will not bite or mouth, its what they do. Given time and training she should stop and Labs are so smart you might be surprised how quickly she figures it out.

As huski mentioned if you must rehome, then surely the breeder will take her back.

And I just noticed you said you would get another SAmoyed as you know the breed. Trust me, Samoyed pups mouth and bite just as much as any other dog and are in fact more willful and hard to train then a Lab. Its just something to keep in mind :thumbsup:

EDT cause I am having a slow day.

Edited by Wolfsong

I wont be getting another one right now anyway IF we do find her a home. IF we did, it would be a samoyed as i know the breed.

Didn't you just rehome a Samoyed just a couple a weeks ago after having had him/her for only a few days? Now you're doing the same with the Lab... No dog or puppy can settle into a home in a few days. I think they deserve a chance to show their potential.

I agree with the others, that any puppy is going to mouth and bite, etc until they learn bite inhibition, regardless of the breed. I don't know what age you got JP, but is it possible that he had learned bite inhibition by the time you got him?

As Wolfsong said, samoyeds (and all other spitz breeds) can be very stubborn and willful and will challenge you. I think JP must be an angel of a dog and if I were in your situation I would not be relying on my next pup being the same as JP as I think I'd be setting myself up for disappointment!

As previously suggested, I would get a behaviourist in now to show you how to quickly teaching bite inhibition if you are committed to this puppy.

Ben also mouths, but he doesn't bite down... Somehow he knows not to mouth or jump up on my small grand children, who are between 3 and 6... He's still got his puppy teeth, so they are very sharp, and does hurt when he's being rough, even though he doesn't bite down.

Didn't you just rehome a Samoyed just a couple a weeks ago after having had him/her for only a few days? Now you're doing the same with the Lab... No dog or puppy can settle into a home in a few days. I think they deserve a chance to show their potential

With as much respect as i can, please can you be sure you have followed my history and what REALLY happened before judging or commenting. Yes, we rescued a samoyed 2 weeks ago. We fell in love with him, and eve J.P loved him but he was by far impressed with J.P.

I spoke to different breeder's getting opinion's and so on, and being the agression from the new samoyed to our samoyed was getting worse, decided it wouldnt work with us. He has though found the perfetc home with my mother, which i believe is where he is meant to be. He could not be happier.

I am going to book an appt with a dog trainer/behav'st i found through here and see how we go.

thanks

p.s Yep- i guess J.P obviously came to us as a very well behaved boy..... we did not and have not had any issue's with him like that.....

p.s Yep- i guess J.P obviously came to us as a very well behaved boy..... we did not and have not had any issue's with him like that.....

Baby puppies developing bite inhibition don't really have "issues" - just like a human baby you need to teach a puppy what is right and wrong. Your puppy doesn't have issues, you just need to teach it the appropriate behaviour. Expecting a puppy to be as good as your Samoyed was when you got him is not fair on the puppy.

Raising puppies is hard work. It's not supposed to be easy, it can be quite challenging. From your posts it doesn't sound like your pup is doing anything other than displaying normal puppy behaviour.

Edited by huski

ETA: what we were looking for was primarily a companion for JP.

This is where the problem lies. You should never get a dog primarily as a companion for another - why does JP need a friend? Does he at all? You should get a dog for yourself NOT for your dog. This is probably why you are running into trouble, find a dog that suits your expectations and lifestyle so maybe go get an older dog that is very low activity and soft temperament like your existing dog.

Either way you need to set rules for new dogs, show routine, leadership and training in order for them to settle into the new family. Most dogs in a new place take a while to settle in and if you just expect them to 'fit in' you will be dissapointed.

Nekhbet has just taken the words out of my mouth.

Pups are hard work, any new dog is. You seem to have an expectation of the new pup that, i personally think, is a little unfair. Your pup has been taken away from the only place it's ever known, put in a place on it's own with a strange family and a strange dog and then had expectations placed on it that it doesn't understand.

Try some training - and get some advice from people who own labradors if you don't know the specific training needs of the breed to see what works for them. The way I've worked with Zero (my sibe) and the way I've worked with Jude (my friend's hyperactive rescue lab) are totally different and I've had to work out what works best for the two different dogs. You have to do the same.

Crying and getting upset about it aren't going to make it any better - in fact, they'll make it worse because you'll react out of emotion rather than logic and likely make the wrong training choice.

Have you spoken to the breeder of the Lab ?

We didnt buy her from the breeder she was originally from, however, im trying to find the breeder. I know his name, as its on her vacc cards, i am trying to find him purely to try and find out her history as THAT im unsure of.

Crying and getting upset about it aren't going to make it any better - in fact, they'll make it worse because you'll react out of emotion rather than logic and likely make the wrong training choice.

I realise, and again i feel i maybe shouldnt have disclosed this. Sigh. I was merely stating so you all would understand, for all the mistake i may have made, i havent made it from vain. I am an emotional person normally, it is who i am. I obviously made the decision to buy her from my heart not my head, and am now dealing with this.

But thank you all for the advice.

I really dont know whatelse to say, or if i should keep coming in here to read, as i just seem to feel worse. I am trying to do what is right for her. :cheer:

I really dont know whatelse to say, or if i should keep coming in here to read, as i just seem to feel worse. I am trying to do what is right for her. :laugh:

Then this is going to sound harsh but I think you need a wake up call. Stop being so emotional - yes I hear that you are an emotional person but that is not going to help you. What is done is done. Now you have to deal with it: rehome the dog to a suitable home and DO NOT get another, do not even consider it, any time in the near future until you have lowered your expectations; or realise that you have a baby puppy that you are now in charge of and accept that being a puppy you will need to train her and teach her things so that she grows into a happy, well behaved canine citizen. Dogs are not always easy, dogs can be HARD work especially puppies. With the two dogs you have acquired in the last two weeks I would assume this is quite clear to you now. I admit I do find it hard to believe you did all the research you claimed to do on labs yet you did not realise that they are gundogs, a retrieving breed and as such typically mouthy pups :cheer:

Please don't think I am trying to be mean, that is not my intention. You have gotten a lot of help from DOLers in this thread and in others. To do what is right for this puppy you need to make a commitment to keeping her or rehoming her and once you have made your decision, stick to it!

ETA: Most of all I think I find it quite unbelievable that you would consider rehoming a little puppy you have had for a day or two because its doing something that is normal for puppies to do (nipping). I am actually quite gobsmacked that someone would give up so easily. Maybe in your heart you didn't really want another dog?

Edited by huski