A Better Treat Bag?

I've used the Black Dog treat bags (lasted about 3 months before it started to come apart at the seams), and the one from here: http://www.airdogs.com.au/agility/product....171&cat=255 (hinge broke after 1 month)...

So...Any suggestions for a better treat bag.

I think what I'm after is one that's leather with a nylon insert AND a leather clip together belt.... Doesn't have to be a hinged opening, a zip or velcro would do fine.

Any suggestions?

Although that doesn't answer your question, I have a suggestion. I used to use the treat bag all the time in my agility training until my trainer pointed out to me that Laffi (my golden) is too focused on the bag and not me. So I started putting food in my pockets and it works much better. It's also easier when you trial as you don't have to worry about fading it out as much as a treat bag. Hope that helps :)

Although that doesn't answer your question, I have a suggestion. I used to use the treat bag all the time in my agility training until my trainer pointed out to me that Laffi (my golden) is too focused on the bag and not me. So I started putting food in my pockets and it works much better. It's also easier when you trial as you don't have to worry about fading it out as much as a treat bag. Hope that helps :)

I'd need big baggy pockets for ease of access :o

I've had my Black Dog pouch for about 2 years now and no problems with it. Although like Laffi, it's more often in my bag and not on me as I tend to use my pockets or a specially designed tugging/treat pouch at agility.

Has anyone else had trouble?

LukeW, maybe you were just unlucky. It might be worth approaching the company (nice guy!) about it to see how long they believe it should last for, as in general, their products are pretty sturdy.

We deal with them through our agility club and resell some of the products to members so I will ask if anyone else has had problems with them wearing out.

I'd need big baggy pockets for ease of access :laugh:

Absolutely :o ! That's why I have 3 paris of "agility shorts" with big pockets with zippers so stuff doesn't fly around when I run (yes it did happen with my "non-agility shorts" :) )

I have a bag where most of my treats are and I just replenish my pockets from time to time. I find this the best transition between training and trailing. :cool:

Edited by laffi

Hehehe...I used to have a vest that had large side pockets....with sleeves you could zip on and off for all weather occasions. Could even stick a ball in there.

Is it considered cheating, to wear it in a trial? Is it considered cheating that when the dogs focus wanders you might casually make like you are heading to a pocket..but...oops...now that I have your attention I'm going to smile a you instead?

That said...I got totally pinged one time for extra signally, cos when my dog buggered up an exercise that they were normally bomb proof on, I screwed up my face....I had NO idea until the scores were tallied and I queried my very, very low result. Far lower than it should have been. Lesson...LEARNED. I still refuse to be a robot, however.

Although that doesn't answer your question, I have a suggestion. I used to use the treat bag all the time in my agility training until my trainer pointed out to me that Laffi (my golden) is too focused on the bag and not me. So I started putting food in my pockets and it works much better. It's also easier when you trial as you don't have to worry about fading it out as much as a treat bag. Hope that helps :rofl:

I'd need big baggy pockets for ease of access :)

Absolutely :) ! That's why I have 3 paris of "agility shorts" with big pockets with zippers so stuff doesn't fly around when I run (yes it did happen with my "non-agility shorts" :thumbsup: )

I have a bag where most of my treats are and I just replenish my pockets from time to time. I find this the best transition between training and trailing. :D

Do you have long arms? I imagine with baggy pockets they'd also be deep pockets and I'd be struggling to reach into them all the time. A pouch sits so much higher.

ETA: I've got short legs and short arms, pockets end up around my knees! (only slight exageration).

Edited by Luke W

ok - maybe I should buy a new black dog one and see how it goes - I threw out the one where the stitching was coming loose.

I do have a maxi black dog one with a liner but it's a bit more cumbersome than my old regulkar size one.

I did find these:

http://ldsleather.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...her_accessories

http://www.smartpakcanine.com/ProductClass...veCategory=true

I had to replace my first Black Dog bag earlier this year - left it at a training session :) . Second one is still going strong but had to replace the liner as the plastic started to break up. I do find the hinges need wiping with Vaseline regularly to keep them snappy.

You can buy replacement hinges as well if you need to and don't need to replace the whole bag. My first one last 4 years, then I left some treats in it for a long time and it was that nasty I threw the whole thing out. Then I got number two pouch with liner. Onto 2nd liner, long forgotten treats again, but bag is still in really good condition.

I bought my black dog pouch from ~Erin~ two small puppies store about a year ago. It's still going strong... it does have one small chew hole in the corner thanks to a puppy :confused:

I use the glad sandwich bags as a liner and what is not used in training then gets thrown in the fridge for the next day.

I had a blackdog one that I left treats in and the dogs ate it, lasted over a year no probs until it got eaten!

Then a friend gave me her old black dog one and I've used it since, it would have to be at least 3 years old if not more, and never had a problem with it, I use it all the time for flyball, but for obed I have hundreds of jumpers with middle pockets, and vests with pockets, as the dogs got treat pouch smart :confused:

I have a liner for mine and its been great, though alot of the time I se a ziploch bag as well as the treats are all in the freezer in those bags anyway so I just grab a bag out and chuck it in the pouch