Douge De Bordeaux Bunny Hops When She Runs

sabertooth

Hi, I have a Douge puppy who bunny hops when she runs, and i would like to know if anyone can tell me if this is normal for a douge or should i get her hips x-rayed when she is 16 weeks which is what the vet wants me to do at a large cost, she is 11 weeks. she also has an incontinance problem as well which they also want to x-ray but i am hoping it will go away.

any help would be great.. :laugh:

post-26471-1225495543_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Puppies often urinate when they're excited or a more submissive pup, most grow out of it. Is she weeing when excited or does wee just dribble out whenever? It could be a UTI if it is frequent weeing too.

As for the bunny hopping I would definitely be checking that out, but I would go to a vet familiar with the breed. Whereabouts are you and perhaps someone could recommend one for you?

Have you discussed the bunny hopping with the pups breeder? If it was a small breed my first thought would be a luxating patella but I am not sure of the prevelance of this with the large breeds. Has she always done this or is it from a injury that you know of? BTW it's Dogue, rather than Douge :laugh:

She's very, very cute. I hope the problems are easily fixed!!

I agree- contact the breeder first.

if she is truly incontinent (wetting when asleep ,or just walking along)... and is bunny hopping- the two could be both coming from a spinal/pelvic problem, maybe ...

Breeder first, and as said , a vet who knows your breed .

Hope all turns out fine for your gorgeous girl :laugh:

Puppies often urinate when they're excited or a more submissive pup, most grow out of it. Is she weeing when excited or does wee just dribble out whenever? It could be a UTI if it is frequent weeing too.

As for the bunny hopping I would definitely be checking that out, but I would go to a vet familiar with the breed. Whereabouts are you and perhaps someone could recommend one for you?

Have you discussed the bunny hopping with the pups breeder? If it was a small breed my first thought would be a luxating patella but I am not sure of the prevelance of this with the large breeds. Has she always done this or is it from a injury that you know of? BTW it's Dogue, rather than Douge :laugh:

she does not dribble when excited just little dribbles most often arter she has done a wee.

i have contacted the breeder and he says he has 3 other puppies that bunny hop and he also does see some adult dogs hop.

Hi there

I've learnt recently from personal experience although not with the same breed that bunny hopping could be caused by a pinched nerve in the back leading to referral pain and therefore legs not having the drive or extension they should have. I paid for xrays but unfortunately xrays dont show nerves, althought it was good to know my boy had no other problems through them. I found a brilliant canine chiropractor in Brisbane who sorted mine out and all is perfect again. Good luck, fanstastic looking little one!

she does not dribble when excited just little dribbles most often arter she has done a wee.

i have contacted the breeder and he says he has 3 other puppies that bunny hop and he also does see some adult dogs hop.

Have the parents been hipscored ? Has the breeder treated those who have hopped and have they located the cause ?

This would be helpful for you.

A good muscle man/chiro are always handy with young developing puppies, apart from contacting the breeder of any of my dogs, I'd be seeing one of those as well.

Have the parents been hipscored ? Has the breeder treated those who have hopped and have they located the cause ?

This would be helpful for you.

A good muscle man/chiro are always handy with young developing puppies, apart from contacting the breeder of any of my dogs, I'd be seeing one of those as well.

both parents are hip and elbow scored. the breeder has said that it is just the breed they are a very lazy breed and that is just how some of them run.

I didn't think it was an acceptable thing to 'bunny hop'? Or are Dogues different?

I'd be a tad concerned if this breeder has several :laugh:

that is why i am really wanting to hear from another dogue breeder.

but i do apriciate all that have posted.

Normally a lazy gait is a "pace" not a bunny hop.

I'd personally be looking at seeing a muscle man / chiro for the pup. I'd do that before I saw any vet, GA'd and xrayed such a young puppy.

I would treat the symptoms as two completely seperate issues. Has the vet tested a urine sample ? and what has lead them to think that xrays would be useful in determining the cause of her being incontinent ?

A trip to a good chiro will enable you to rule out muscle problems and pinched nerves or it may be the visit that locates the problem.

These are 2 chiropracters that I use. Both are on the southside.

I'd have your little girl checked out by one of them to ensure her back or pelvis isn't out and that she doesn't have a pinched nerve.

If no improvement after a visit to them, then x-ray as per your vet's advice.

Dr Tony Smith

Fernvale Vet Clinic

3617 Forest Hill-Fernvale Road

Fernvale

Ph: 07 5426 7766

Dr Rowan Kilmartin

Animal Options

8/29 Blanck Street

Ormeau

Ph: 07 5546 6756

Edited by Shoelace