Bye, Gladys

persephone

We have just sent "Gladys" over the bridge :)

She was old.. well into double figures, and just recently had gone downhill fast.

She was a nice old thing- a bit of a bully when younger, but Nannies are like that .

Here she is as a tiny kid- yes- she lived in the kitchen for a while :idea: was crated at night.. slept on a cushion near the heater of a day.. and LOVED her soccer ball :eek:

post-1359-1226447926_thumb.jpg

bruddy animals.....

For about 12 years there has been the tinkling of the bell on her collar.... it will be quiet now.

:) Oh persephone, don't you hate it when there are patches in one's life where we have a bunch of wonderful oldies that we lose?

many hugs to you, hope Gladys is enjoying Sally's company at the bridge.

you'll probably hear that little bell now & again when she pops in to check on things :eek:

love fifi, danny & hounds xxxx

Kid goats are unbearably cute!!! Then they grow up and jump on your nice shiny car!! :rofl:

Gladdie was a cranky tart sometimes... but so knowing and smart...

Poor Collie is all that's left now.. she is about 3, and has never been alone :(

In the past twelve months she has lost her two goat friends, and Sally horse, plus the two sheep we had ;)

She is crying, and wants to come in near the house... except the dogs hate her!! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Persephone,

Sorry for your loss. I understand your sadness.

I had pet goats as a child. These days I have 4 as my friends. We play "battle logs" (the last one standing on the log wins), "hidey" and "chasey" (their favourite) (they chase me and I run away laughing...then they "catch" me and stand waiting for me to run again, all four of them with tails straight up and standing very tall!!)

Sometimes they jump on your ride-on mower too!!

They are unbearably cute as kids and great mates as adults.

Your girl Gladys was gorgeous. And what a good age she reached!! You must have cared for her very well.

I am sure you will miss her very much and I am equally sure that you will still hear her bell every now and then.

RIP lovely Gladys.

laker... thanks for that .;)

We have but one left, Collie.. who is about 3 /4 yrs old, and just hitting her prime.

Now she is lonely... and would love to be with the dogs , as she was when a bub...BUT she also would enjoy grinding them into the dirt:( She is very violent with her horns (these are feral goats.. not dehorned).

I have to put a lead on her if we go for walks... as 6 dogs, one old cat, and a very animal aggressive fat nannygoat does NOT work :cry: If I leave her behind, tho.. she screams... and you probably know what THAT sounds like !!

Some re-education is in progress.. but I don't think she can ever be gentle with teh dogs again.. too many years of locking horns (literally) with gladys and Pippa...

:laugh:

Any chance of a friend for Collie? (She sounds like a hoot!! My youngest, Helen, would like to get my dogs...or kids...or other-half...or anyone except mummy, of course!!) They do so love company. Let me know how the re-education goes, Helen needs all the help she can get.

When we have game-time, she chases my other half, he hides behind trees and 'cos she can't get him, she bunts the trees!! She leaps up really high, kicks her back legs and shakes her head to show her displeasure when chasing him, them bunts a tree really hard!! I have to go give her face-rubs and cuddles to let him out of the paddock!!

Poor Collie, she is just hitting her prime...could she have a wether for a friend?

I have 2 boys and 2 girls, the boys are definitely the most placid.

could she have a wether for a friend?

We did have another sheep.. about 9 yrs old.. however when the OLD sheep.. Emma got her wings a month or so ago... and then Gladys.. The other sheep left home.. and has gone to live with the 'wild bush sheep" !!!

Funny old thing.. at her age, and an 'always in your face,velcro pet sheep'... she won't even talk to us if we call her name !

I was thinking of another goat... but really, it's nice NOT having to worry about cars being jumped on/trashed, chook food being stolen, garden being eaten.... etc . Collie is nowhere near as bad as she was with this sort of stuff, thank goodness.

We shall see how things go...and I will try and keep her fat.. slows her up a bit :rolleyes:

luckily she knows and responds to "OUT!".. which means "stop what you are doing!and/or find a gate and get the hell out of the garden and/or/ leave the bucket of dog food ALONE...etc" ;) She also comes when called, and walks on lead... so we'll see.

Aahhhh...my mistake, I thought Collie was another goat....makes more sense now that she is so sad. I think sheep take it more to heart when there are left on their own....sort of "just miserable", where as I have found you could always get some "conversation" from the goats.

Poor Collie....and the one that ran off with "the colt from ol' regret", what sort of a friend is that?? Saw the numbers thinning and headed for the scrub??? Turn-coat friend, if you ask me, you are better off without her, Collie!! :eek:

Do you think the other one might come back "when the going gets tough in the bush"? or do you think she has gone the way of all "un-godly" wild sheep and gone for good?

Poor Collie. I have a mate who has had pet rams and they really like the company of other sheep....I hope her mood improves.

As for not having your car jumped on or trashed......but they look sooooo cute when they are doing it :eek: