Dog Dryers - Reccomendations?

Cross posted from The Show Ring ...

I've been looking at dryers. The only one I've seen in use before was on a stand, so I was suprised to find that the majority of them are not on a stand. How do you use these ones?

What brands should I look at/avoid. I groom my own dogs (low shedding but clipped), foster dogs (usually the same), and hopefully soon a long haired, low shedding show dog. I dry them on a grooming table (currently with my own hairdryer LOL)

(I have read past threads on this, but they didnt have the info I want)

I have a LaserLites table dryer which is absolutely fantastic. It's on a short stand, and the dryer head swivels up and down.

My dogs are big so I dry them with the dryer on the floor, then just aim it at the part I want to dry and it allows me to have both hands free for brushing and holding while they get dry.

It gets right down to the roots of the undercoat and it's very quiet.

I got mine secondhand from an ad on DOL. A friend of mine saw it and sent me the link then went to check it out for me.

For small dogs who are groomed and dried on a table, something like my one would work beautifully because you don't need to hold it and it leaves both hands free to control the dog. Plus its not big and fits in a cupboard, so doesn't have to stand around looking unsightly when you're not using it.

Do you need to brush while drying to straighten coat? If you do, you'll need to go hands free which means some kind of stand dryer will be required.

I've got a Liberty and you can attach a hose to it for initial drying. I'm very happy with it.

Edited by poodlefan

What is the difference between the ones that look like people hair dryers (simpson), and the ones that are a barrel with a hose and nozzle on them (oldfield)?

Generally speaking, the barrel uses forced air and the stand dryers use heat.

If you had to choose between one, for your dogs I would go with a barrel (such as the Oldfields one) as you can always fluff dry using a little hand held dryer once the coat is about 90%dry using the 'forced air' dryer. Although I believe there are dryers now which are a two in one. Anyone?

With the Oldfield velocity (forced air) you can always take the um, 'pointy bit' (I forget what it's called) off and this is the same then as a hand held dryer. The forced air dryers start off cool but warm as the dryer warms.

Does that make sense? If in Sydney you are welcome to come sus out my dryers (I have both types) to see which suits you best.

Condenser! = Pointy bit.

I have a Liberty stand dryer which I use for the Persians and the dogs. I love it! It has good force behind the air plus heat on the high setting and the low setting is great for finishing them off. It is also easy to adjust and swivel around with a directional nozle.

As I said in your other thread.

I use a Liberty Ultraforce (cannister) for blasting water out of the coats, for drying the smoothies (Staffords) and for the horses.

I use my new Beacon stand dryer for fluff drying. I had a Liberty but hated the fact that it was more noise than grunt and sold it.

I also use a powerful human hair dryer (with a cool setting) for drying at shows or for spot drying or straightening at home.

I use my new Beacon stand dryer for fluff drying. I had a Liberty but hated the fact that it was more noise than grunt and sold it.

And now you've got less noise and no grunt :laugh:

Don't need grunt when you have proper heat controls and ease of movement. And can dry a dog without creating an environmental (noise) hazard!!

And, as I said, if I want to blast the water out of the coat BEFORE I fluff dry, I use the Ultraforce.

Thanks everyone. What is "fluff drying" though??

I brush while I dry, so I guess I need a stand.

"simple" explanation is using the direction of the air and the brush to straighten and dry a coat at the same time.

For this, yes, a stand dryer or at least a dryer you can use hands free is the best. It IS possible to use a hose to dry and straighten but unless you know what you're doing and are very, very careful the average person will end up with a tangled, twizzled mess.