Gracie Is Unwell

Our homebred Rough Collie "Gracie" has been unwell since Monday. She had yucky diarrhoea so I iimmediately started her on peptosyl, boiled rice and chicken and probiotics.

By Tuesday it had not resolved so took faecal sample and Gracie to the Vet. Her temp was slightly elevated but all her other signs were good. Vet sent faecal sample off for faecal float and analysis and told me to continue what I was doing plus give her electrolyes,which I did.

I though she was picking up but this afternoon she had another bout of mucky diarrhoea( duly collected) so back of to the Vet.

Faecal float showed No signs of parasites, no signs of giardia or coccidia , he is waiting on the microculture results and should have them tomorrow. In the meantime he has now put Gracie on Clavulox as well as all the other things I am doing.

Boy I am so glad I took out Petpalan health insurance when I did - I have racked up nearly $300 so far and will get all bar $100 back

Dad and I are praying it is nothing sinister.We have already losy our beloved Maggie( our first Champion) in 2005 to Inflammatory Bowel disease and we don't want to lose Gracie.

If you can please include Gracie in your prayers.

Thank you

Edited by InspectorRex

Still haven't received the faecal culture results.Our Vet phoned to say he should have them either late tonight or Monday

Very frustrating waiting and wanting to know but you cannot hurry science :thumbsup:

As far as I know Gracie hasn't had any diarrhoea yet today so hoping the Clavulox is kicking in

Keep you all posted and thank you for being there, again

Okay- Vet phoned at 8am this morning. Faecal culture did Not show anything abnormal like salmonella etc.

His Gut(pardon the pun) feeling is that she may have eaten something in the yard ( she is a Hoover on legs) and it has irritated her gut hence the diarrhoea or it is a viral gastro.

So far since she has been on the Clavulox she has not had diarrhoea. so she has to finish the clavulox and then we re-introduce her normal food.

Gracie is full of beans and not showing any other signs of being ill.She was doing zoomies around the house last night chasing her mother.

Thanks everyone for your support

I'm going to ask what might seem like a dumb question but have you looked at sources of illness that could be in or around the home. From memory you have not been well and several of the dogs have had problems.

Have you looked at things like lead ? chemicals etc.

I have no idea where you live or what your house is built on but could it be a source ?

PPS- done all that. living in a totally different area then when our Maggie got IBD ( two hours away) and much cleaner environment( ie no pollution from coal mines etc).

House is only 16 yo and there are no plants in the backyard(front yard is for plants and backyard for the dogs in this household), just grass and two very big conifer trees. House is brick with a mixture of lino and low pile carpet.

My suspicion is when we went to training the other day(before Gracie took ill) she made contact with the sheep and the ducks(actually caught a duck and plucked a feather from it's bottom) and may have picked up a bug there as she was fine before that.

Edited by InspectorRex