Good Australian Kibble

megan_

Great Barko - $25 = 22kgs = $1.14 per kilo = 3.5 cups = $0.86 day

WOW - that is cheap!

Yes it is cheap. I've got both my dogs on Great Barko, and their coats are looking great! :thumbsup: But I would never feed the amount on the pack it says dogs are required each day - WAY too much - they got really porky feeding at that amount. I feed 2/3 the recommended daily amount.

-WithEverythingIAm

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I would never feed the amount on the pack it says dogs are required each day - WAY too much

I'm glad you said that. I'm keen to give it a go, it's a lot cheaper than what I'm currently feeding (Pro Plan Selects) but according to the pack I'd have to feed each dog around 3 cups per day. If they have a meal of kibble at the moment, Benson gets about 3/4 cup and Dusty gets a bit less. To go from that to 3 cups each per day means my backyard is gonna be a quagmire of doggy poo in a day!

If you feed what the packaging says...you will end up with a fat dog (unless it's a working dog perhaps). As i said earlier i actually feed less of the Uncle Albers (it's slightly higher fat/protein then GB) then i did of Euk/Hills etc to my two boofheads :thumbsup:

I tried Artemis Fresh Mix prior to using Orijen and it didn't suit my dogs at all, they got lots of gas and loose poo.

What comes out the other end seems to be just as important as what goes in when it comes to dog food. Your experience is not making Artemis sound like an ideal option.

Anthony, I fed Artemis for 6 months to 4 dogs and was very pleased with it. Everydog is different :thumbsup:

The only reason I stopped feeding it is because I only found it to be available at 1 store and I found it more economical to purchase locally so switched to Advance.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=152699

We were lucky with the changeover. No runny poo's at all, but one of my girls certainly had softer stools for about a month, and certainly more frequent than she had on Eagle Pack, but then it all settled.

This is from the Artemis Online thread - GL has had fantastic results with her girls! :thumbsup: Additionally if you do experience softer stools I understand that adding a couple of eggs whites binds up the stools and may make the transition easier!

We were lucky with the changeover. No runny poo's at all, but one of my girls certainly had softer stools for about a month, and certainly more frequent than she had on Eagle Pack, but then it all settled.

This is from the Artemis Online thread - GL has had fantastic results with her girls! :) Additionally if you do experience softer stools I understand that adding a couple of eggs whites binds up the stools and may make the transition easier!

I thought feeding dogs egg whites without the yolk was unhealthy?

This is from the Artemis Online thread - GL has had fantastic results with her girls! :eek: Additionally if you do experience softer stools I understand that adding a couple of eggs whites binds up the stools and may make the transition easier!

I thought feeding dogs egg whites without the yolk was unhealthy?

Hmmm - I don't think a couple would hurt, not long term of course.

Champion released another statement. They said this:
Champion Petfoods Ltd, was unaware of the irradiation process for imported cat foods with fresh ingredients

How could they not be aware of it??

That line caught my eye as well. If they really were unaware, then what about all the other companies that have said their food is not irradiated, maybe they are unaware too?

Reading their 29 Nov release downloaded from http://www.championpetfoods.com/

as well as comments apparently by their representatives on catworld and other places - I suspect what they're trying to say is that they didn't know the level of radiation used on the cat food was so much higher than that used for human food.

That's my current take on it..

So as a summary (because I'm completely confused about what to feed the boy), Artemis is a good product, so is Eagle Pack (if you're looking for a dog food without grains). Nature's gift is out for me as it contains sugar (Henschke reacts badly to sugar). The 'Z' product from New Zealand sounds good - but oh, my, the price...

Best to try, try and try again to see what product suits your dog.

My problem is that we have a 6 month old and are about to get a young adult - is there something I can feed the both of them without having to buy 2 different food types (i.e. puppy and adult)?