Dog Nail

Ouch :laugh:

If the nail is completely off I'd just bathe it in salt water. If the nail is still attached you could superglue it together until it grows a bit and can be cut.

Pele split her front left toe (ring finger) a few months ago and I superglued it. It gave the toe a bit of protection for a few days, then I managed to trim it. As long as you keep the foot clean there shouldn't be any need to bandage for more than a day or so.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

If it is completely ripped out then that is a good thing. Just bath it in warm salty water. Grab a container and put your dogs foot in it and let it soak for a little. Then let it dry and appy something like betadine to it. It should heal up fine.

If it isn't completely ripped out then you probably would be best taking your dog to the vets to get them to remove it. If it is not removed it will continue to catch on things and probably get infected.

Does sound like it is totally ripped out if you are just seeing a flat bed of flesh.

Bath with the warm salty water and use the betadie for the next few days. After that it should be happy to heal by itself.

If at any stage it starts to look yucky straight to the vet.

Does sound like it is totally ripped out if you are just seeing a flat bed of flesh.

Bath with the warm salty water and use the betadie for the next few days. After that it should be happy to heal by itself.

I dont think is is totally ripped out it looks more like is split

I dont think is is totally ripped out it looks more like is split

Mmmm if it is split then it's probably best it is removed otherwise it will become infected. Have a go yourself with some tweezers. Is it right at the base?

If you can't do it yourself, which most likely means your vet wouldn't be able to do it, you will have to book your dog in for the day to be sedated so that it can be removed whilst your dog is asleep.

its red and the shape of his nail but really short like its been filed down.

Ok..to me, that sounds as if the outer nail(the hard cover) has been pulled off cleanly....and the 'quick' is left.

If all looks clean..just spray some betadine on a couple times a day.. and don't panic :thumbsup: It will take ages for a new nail to grow.. but it will :D

Our dogs do this often.

I'll try and explain what it looks like. its red and the shape of his nail but really short like its been filed down.

Thats what Atlas's looked like when he pulled it out - He only actuallypulled half out - the vets had to pull the other half off for me, and nope, they didnt sedate him for it!

It will be sore.. it is the 'quick' after all :scared: you know what it's like, if you rip a nail or something..it throbs!

Don't touch it! simply spray or dunk in betadine... and leave it be.

he won't want to walk on it for a while...and some pain is a good thing... it will keep him still, and stop him damaging it further.

if you notice any swelling or redness on the part which is on his toe.. the nail bed area.. then see a vet

see a vet anyway if you are even considering painkillers!! Dog suitable ones can only be obtained from a vet.