Japanese Spitz Discoloured Eye Rings

casnpete

post-26819-1227931199_thumb.jpg I just brought a beautiful little 8 week old Japanese Spitz and I was wondering if you could help me, as you can see she has discolouration around her eyes and I was wondering 1. If its normal for Spitz's and 2. How do I get rid of it or prevent it from happening. I've only had her since last night and I'm hoping she is pure breed as I didn't get papers.

I'm hoping she is pure breed as I didn't get papers.

:o

It looks to be very bad tear staining, for such a young pup! maybe I'm wrong...

I don't know much about the breed ,apart from the fact I think they are very attractive - but I would be very concerned about some problem with either the tear ducts, or with things like entropion.

Please get a vet check if you haven't done so...

Will the breeder refund you money if there is found to be a substantial problem?

Did you have it vet checked upon purchase or before?Did you SEE the pup before you bought it? See the parents?

Have a look at some puppies of that breed here

Edited by persephone

Ask the breeder how to remove the stains. If they've had Japanese Spitz for a while, they'll no doubt have dealt with this in the past and should give you some hints as to what to use that will be gentle for a baby puppy.

Well, i took your advise and went off to the vet and yep she has an eye defect that needs surgery....

Why cant people just be honest when selling puppies!?!?

Its going to cost me just under $300 to get her eyes fixed and can't get it done until she is 6 months old. The vet nurse said she is irratated by her eyes and in some pain but nothing she cant handle, god it breaks my heart to know my little girl is in pain but they said she is copeing very well as she is active and looks great apart from that. They also said if it does get worse we have to take the chance and get her done ASAP and she may not recover from the anasthetic! god i hope it doesnt happen this way!

We also finally decided on a name Mia, so little Mia in 4 months will be desexed and have an eye operation before she is 1. Poor little girl!

Thanks for the replies and i will post an update after the surgery and let you know how it all goes!

WARNING to all future puppy puchers make sure its a REPUTABLE breeder and has pappers! Also see the parents first. That's a mistake i wont make again but i wont need to until my little bundle of joy leave this earth (which i hope isnt for MANY MANY MANY years to come)

casnpete.. I am glad you went to the vet. Have you spoken to the breeder about this problem?

It is very sad that they didn't notice it happening,or tell you about it . :o

Mia will be much happier when the irritation is removed, and the tears will be much less.

:laugh:

We will need more photos of her now ... very cute girl!

Glad you found out what the problems was....is it entropian? Bad luck about the irresponsible breeder though. Have you spoken to them yet, to let them know the dog has a health problem? Not that they'd probably care, but might as well lay on as much guilt as you can.

She is a seriously cute girlie, I love that breed. More pics would be good, please.

please talk to the breeder and let us know what she said

this is awful

tear staining is something that is unavoidable in some breeds but i havent seen a spitz so badly affected

can be an ingrown hair sometimes which has to be surgically removed or a bad infection but some of the poor malts u see around have chronic problems with infections in the nose and tear duct that causes this weeping

Poor little girl, I hope the surgery goes well when she has it.

She is the sweetest little darling though.

You might like to come and join us in the spitz thread, we have a few other Japanese Spitz in there too and we would love to see more pics of your little Mia :)

Sadly there are a LOT of BYBers breeding Japanese Spitz. and no where near as many reputable breeders. All the JS puppies I have seen have not had anywhere near as much eye staining as that. Her eyes are clearly irritated, and at least the vet has confirmed an eye problem.

Best of luck with your newest addition!

She is very cute. What has she been diagnosed with? Entropion? There are some tear stain removal products on the market that might be helpful.

I did leave a message on the breeders phone but they still havent called me back. I will keep trying though as i this they shoudl know and pass it on the anyone wh will in the future buy their other puppies....!

I am doubting very much that the dodgey BYB breeders will call you back. They have your money now. Lets hope others do not buy their other puppies.

May I ask why you chose not to go to a registered breeder in the first place? The cost?

Sadly there are a LOT of BYBers breeding Japanese Spitz. and no where near as many reputable breeders. All the JS puppies I have seen have not had anywhere near as much eye staining as that. Her eyes are clearly irritated, and at least the vet has confirmed an eye problem.

Best of luck with your newest addition!

NSW seems to be the main hub of Puppy Farmers breeding JS, they seem to be popping up in the pounds a lot also.

We must be pretty lucky in QLD as we only have 1 main Puppy Farmer in QLD (a mother and daughter breeding team) and of course the normal handful of BYB's breeding with their pets, etc...

Sad though isn't it...

Yes it is very sad, for such a lovely breed. I have lived with one for a short while, and when my home situation changes (ie we move) I will be adding a JS to my show team :eek: They are a delightful breed and its very sad they appeal to the BYBer.

kimyata

[We must be pretty lucky in QLD as we only have 1 main Puppy Farmer in QLD (a mother and daughter breeding team) and of course the normal handful of BYB's breeding with their pets, etc...

Sad though isn't it... /quote]

I guess you mean the one up the highway a bit from you?

There are a couple of big ones around Warwick, another couple near there, four or five near Wondai and Murgon - not registered ones - a couple near Dalby some near Milmerran - Oh, I could go on and on!!

casnpete, as your puppy was diagnosed with what I think is a hereditary condition very soon after purchase, if you wished to, you would. under the Fair Trading laws, be able to return the pup to the breeder for a full refund of the purchase price.

I am quite you you don't want to do that, but you may be able to have the money for the operation refunded, and keep the pup, as the pup is not altogether healthy. Could be worth ringing the Dept of Fair Trading and asking them.

So sad, hope all goes well.

I guess you mean the one up the highway a bit from you?

There are a couple of big ones around Warwick, another couple near there, four or five near Wondai and Murgon - not registered ones - a couple near Dalby some near Milmerran - Oh, I could go on and on!!

Yeah thats the one... I probably should have been more specific and said Puppy Farmer who breed JS as I know there are quite a few out there. Although apparently the one near Warwick breeds JS also? Well used to anyways.

My Mum breeds Cavaliers and the amount of BYB with them is amazing checking out the DogWorld every month but the worst part is MOST have breeding dogs from so called "reputable breeders" hmmm....

Yes it is very sad, for such a lovely breed. I have lived with one for a short while, and when my home situation changes (ie we move) I will be adding a JS to my show team They are a delightful breed and its very sad they appeal to the BYBer.

Bundy wasn't it? He is a VERY fluffy boy... Will be good to see more people showing the JS... they are a wonderful breed but hey I am biased! :eek:

She is very cute. What has she been diagnosed with? Entropion? There are some tear stain removal products on the market that might be helpful.
I did leave a message on the breeders phone but they still havent called me back. I will keep trying though as i this they shoudl know and pass it on the anyone wh will in the future buy their other puppies....!

I am doubting very much that the dodgey BYB breeders will call you back. They have your money now. Lets hope others do not buy their other puppies.

May I ask why you chose not to go to a registered breeder in the first place? The cost?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have some bad news my little one just (10mins) ago was rushed to the vet hospital. My hubby got off night shift last night (I was at work by that time) and cleaned up after her as yep she's a messy puppy and noticed that she had vomited a few times. He watch her most of the day besides his sleep and let me know that she had don't a few more vomits during the day as well as the runs (which she has had for 2 day, we just put that down to change of diet). So off he went to work again and I got home about 1.5 hrs after him. She was very bad by this stage, I called her at first and she had enough energy to come between I called her about 10mins later she wouldn't come. I was worried at this point, she tried to get up but she just put her head up and swayed it from side to side then back down again she went. I went over to her and she just wet her self and layed in it I then rushed her over to the vet and they put her on a drip straight away. The vet just called while I'm writing this and she said she has responded well the the drip and is sitting up and looking much better... Few.... They said they still have the treat her for the runs other wise she will go back to the disorientation again but they cant promise anything and will keep her overnight! God I hope she is ok!

The money was a bit of an issue as we just brought our 1st house 2 weeks ago other wise I would have and I have learnt from my mistakes that's for sure.

I finally got a hold of the breeder and they have agreed to pay for her eye operation thank god! They where pretty understanding but hey you can never tell if anyone is telling the truth these days.

Well I will let you all know how she goes,

Thanks again for all the support!