So Where Do Your Loyalties Lie?

redangel

:( Hello again. Ive been reading, watching and looking at internet opinions, reviews and examples from all various digital slr cameras. As per my earlier post I am not much closer to finding "the one" camera Id like to part money for. I havent put this much research and effort into getting something since buying my four legged furchild.... So for a person who wants an all round camera (with a view to getting better lens in the future) with a general interest in dog photography and flora where do your loyalties lie? C'mon Ive heard so many opinions I'd love to know yours.

There are only so many shopping days till christmas!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( Hello again. Ive been reading, watching and looking at internet opinions, reviews and examples from all various digital slr cameras. As per my earlier post I am not much closer to finding "the one" camera Id like to part money for. I havent put this much research and effort into getting something since buying my four legged furchild.... So for a person who wants an all round camera (with a view to getting better lens in the future) with a general interest in dog photography and flora where do your loyalties lie? C'mon Ive heard so many opinions I'd love to know yours.

How much do you want to spend?

My list in increasing price:

Canon 1000D

Canon 450D

Canon 40D

Canon 50D

Canon 5D Mark II

Canon 1Ds Mark III

I own a 40D.

The 50D is currently probably the 'enthusiasts" sweet spot.

The 5D MK II is next on my shopping list.

The 1Ds MK III is a little pricey for me.

I bought my 2nd hand Nikon D80 on eBay (bit of a scarey purchase but hadn't taken many pics) with a lens and lots of xtras for around $1600 a few weeks ago and I'm loving it!!!! Nikon or Canon should be fine.........both great brands!!!!! Just make sure you leave some money for a good lense in the not so distant future cos I'm sure..........like most others.........you'll want better glass sooner rather than later!!!! Think rugerfly is about to spend some dollars on a new camera ......think she's looking at the Nikon D90 or D300.

:) Hello again. Ive been reading, watching and looking at internet opinions, reviews and examples from all various digital slr cameras. As per my earlier post I am not much closer to finding "the one" camera Id like to part money for. I havent put this much research and effort into getting something since buying my four legged furchild.... So for a person who wants an all round camera (with a view to getting better lens in the future) with a general interest in dog photography and flora where do your loyalties lie? C'mon Ive heard so many opinions I'd love to know yours.

How much do you want to spend?

My list in increasing price:

Canon 1000D

Canon 450D

Canon 40D

Canon 50D

Canon 5D Mark II

Canon 1Ds Mark III

I own a 40D.

The 50D is currently probably the 'enthusiasts" sweet spot.

The 5D MK II is next on my shopping list.

The 1Ds MK III is a little pricey for me.

OMG i would sincerly love the 1Ds Mark III (my dream lotto camera :( )

But alas i have a Canon 400D and will be upgrading to the 50D over the xmas period (i hope with a 70-200 f2.8 USM L Lens), but as they say the camera is only part of the deal it is the lenses that do it justice :)

I can say maybe a good idea is work out what you want to spend then go into a camera store and actually get a feel for the cameras themselves, this can play a big part in buying i found the nikon a little bulky for my hands and some find the canon a little small.

I'm going to play devil's advocate & say that for beginner photographer it doesn't much matter.

I have Nikon, b/c that is what my husband bought. If he had bought canon, that is the way I would have gone as far as loyalty...it's that simple for me.

I have a D70s that I literally wore out :( & now have a D300. I could have kept going on the D70s for another 2-3 years probably and would be still learning how to get the best out of it. I don't think my shots are heaps better with the D300 than they were with the D70s, but I can see a gradual improvement in my skill that is not camera related.

While I was between cameras I had a play with a small digital. It was kind of fun & yes, the longer I used it, the better I got with it. In the end I was getting some consistently good shots.

There are so many AMAZING shots around taken with cameras of lesser value. I love some of the functions on my D300, but I am sure I am still only using about 20% of it's capabilities...the other 80% will come with time, experience & expertise.

Edited by Vickie

My loyalties lie with Canon, and that's because they were the first company to come out with a sub-$2000 DSLR body (300D) which I purchased shortly after it was released. It was pretty damn good for it's day and I learned a lot with that camera. While I owned it, I bought various lenses, and began to build up a nice collection. The body was sold along with the original kit lens, and I've had various other Canon bodies, but the whole time I've been refining my lens collection.

Had Nikon come out with the first "cheap" DSLR, my loyalties would probably be with them.

Cost wise - I just bought a brand new Nikon D90, dual lense kit, UV filter, extended warrenty and 8 gig memory card for $1864 .... I bargained hard and Rugerfly helped me with some pricing in Sydney to get places to price match to up here and they did :(

I too am of the Nikon school. When i first learned to shoot it was still on a film SLR (Nikon), and when i started looking at DSLR i was open to looking at Canons as well, though i had a play around with a friend's Canon (can't remember which one, probably a very early entry model) and found the lack of separate dials for aperture and shutter speed highly frustrating, so i stuck with Nikons (though come to think of it, i may have been influenced before that by my dad, who had a beautiful F3). I've been on the D70s for over three years now so i'm quite ready to upgrade, i'm about -->this<-- close to talking myself into getting the D700 :(. (Slightly OT but just read about the new D3X - 24.5mp!)

That said, when it comes to compact cameras, i always stick with Canon, i guess i've just grown comfortable with their IXUS range and its user interface.

I am one of the 'odd ones' without loyalty :o My film SLR was a Nikon. It came down to Canon and Nikon and the decider was my Dad had Nikon. Camera was great but I did wonder how the Canon would have been. When getting my DSLR again it came down to Canon or Nikon. Showing no loyalty I went with the Canon, the decider being megapixels in the models I was looking at. So, having had both, have loved both... and I'm now looking at a Nikon DSLR! :rofl: Does that help?? Nope! However I agree with what Vickie says, and for 'beginner' photogrpahy it isn't going to be the camera that limit the pics :rofl: I am very much in that category.....

Edited by FHRP

I prefer the look of the photos that Nikon takes, but that is just a personal thing that you can decide for yourself (or you may not see any difference). I have a D40 and a D70 with various lenses, some of which I never use :o

One thing that I was told when first looking is to stick with either Canon or Nikon as they have been around for zonks and aren't likely to go anywhere. Nikon lens mounts havent changed since the 50s (so you may even know someone with old lenses lying around), not sure about Canon. While I personally don't see any of the other brands going anywhere any time soon, it is something to consider if you need replacement parts down the track and the company is no longer around.