Malaseb Ear Cleaner

bingo

Hi there, I frequently flush my poodles ears with a 1:40 solution of malaseb which is made fresh each time. Does anyone know why you must make it fresh each time? It would be so much better if you could just make it up in a old ear cleaner bottle and have it on hand all the time. The vet says that the solution should be lukewarm to avoid astigmatism but how come it's ok to use regular ear cleaning solutions like bayer clean ear etc. then? The only other reason I could see for making it fresh each time is due to water quality but this could be avoided by using demineralised or distilled water. Has anyone tried this already or know why I cant just do it this way? I've also written to Dermcare in the past suggesting they manufacture a ear cleaner but got no response I might try contacting the US brand instead I've noticed they already have a malaseb flush solution and that a US pet supplies website is actually selling it as a ear flushing solution so maybe they'll take more to the idea or start producing their already existing malaseb flush solution over here their pledgets also look quite handy too.

I've used Malaseb Flush, ready made/bottled on my cocker, Spanky.

I got it at my vets'. It's available online too.

Bonz

EDIT: Sorry, I read 1/2 your post & replied.

I dint realize you knew about it being bottled.

Edited by Bonzawani

I think the flush is going through registration at the moment, when I have asked the reps about a prepared solution they've told me to 'watch this space'.

The lukewarm water means not warm, not cold tap water, tepid even. Prepared solutions are already going be be at room temperature, not cold and if they are cold they should be warmed even in a pocket or arm pit. Pouring a cold fluid (or an irritant) into an ear canal, particularly one that doesn't have a tympanic membrane (ear drum) can cause neurological signs such as a head tilt or nystagmus (flicking eyes) due to irritation of the middle ear.

Guess #1. You need to mix it fresh because it contains a volatile compound that will tend to evapourate if you store it. (Does it have a strong smell?)

Guess #2. The active ingredient gradually reacts with water.

Is malaseb related to malasol? If so, guess #1 is probably correct

Edited by sandgrubber

Hi there, thanks for your responses but I still am not quite sure why you couldn't make it up in a bottle and store it. Surely someone out there is currently or has been using this method. I don't think the active ingredient deactivates after 10min I think thats just the actual time it takes to completely rid their skin of the bacteria but I may be wrong. I like the sound of dermcare producing a flush for their ears Rappie you'll have to keep us all informed of how it's progressing and keep pushing you rep for it. It's a great nuisance attempting control ear or any skin condition as I'm sure many of you already know from personal experience so if anyone has any comments or ideas please don't hesitate to respond as I'm sure plenty of others would also like to know.

Hi there, thanks for your responses but I still am not quite sure why you couldn't make it up in a bottle and store it. Surely someone out there is currently or has been using this method.

I do!

I've always pre mixed and used at a later date. It's never occurred to me to do otherwise. Now I'm wondering if I should stop? For what it's worth, it still works for yeasty ears as a pre mix.

I don't think the active ingredient deactivates after 10min I think thats just the actual time it takes to completely rid their skin of the bacteria but I may be wrong.

As a skin shampoo it takes 7 minutes to start acting and has reached full effect at ten. Although after ten it doesn't do anything, so ten minutes is the optimum time to leave on if using as a medicated shampoo.

eta:

It's a great nuisance attempting control ear or any skin condition as I'm sure many of you already know from personal experience so if anyone has any comments or ideas please don't hesitate to respond as I'm sure plenty of others would also like to know.

What about the actual cause of the infections? I have a little dog once who was prone but since switching his diet from supermarket tins to BARF patties no more ear problems (or facial staining of any kind).

Edited by Clyde

Thanks Clyde I'll be sure to give it a go I think I'll use distilled water when I make it just to be on the safe side. Next time I'm at the vet I'll have to ask why it supposedly is meant to be made fresh each time. My vet didn't say it needed to be made fresh he hasn't actually ever suggested to use it at all I read it on a couple of sites but with no explanation why. Know that I think of it it may just be that if it's warm it would be even more effective at cleaning the wax etc. away even if so I think it would still get the job done cold. Also I cant really imagine any bacteria being able to grow in it after all it's supposed to kill bacteria + it's probably got preservatives in it anyway and using distilled water will cut the chance of the water growing the bacteria.

I use a sterile syringe, sterile container and make up very small batches- about 40ml each time. Store in the fridge. Seems to work fine.

I use the syringe first to measure up the 1ml of Malaseb, then to squirt into ear- being REALLY careful do "no touch" (so clean syringe doesn't touch dirty ear).

I agree that room-temperature is better, I'm guessing dog body temp is best, but I often use it straight out of the fridge without apparent ill effect.

BTW only one poodle here tends to get smelly ears, other is fine :rolleyes: