Rally Obedience

Have had someone from the Adelaide area requesting more information so for those of you out that way....yell loud if you want to see my shining face!!

Not sure too many of the details on the who's and wherefores but am working on something in that area.

Also have had enquiries from up Cairns way, and am working on making that go as well. Am hoping that nothing happens there til all these cyclones and stuff go away!!

At this point, everything is booked til June, so for those wanting to do something..it's going to be a while, but hey..I'm not going anywhere so 'whatever'!

Melbourne (Geelong) is set for April 25-26th and I'll be in touch with Wendy shortly to iron out the last minute details (probably first week in April)

Still waiting on word from up Albury way as well as down more my way around the Wangaratta/Myrtleford area.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Melbourne (Geelong) is set for April 25-26th and I'll be in touch with Wendy shortly to iron out the last minute details (probably first week in April)

Hi

I'm looking forward to the Geelong Rally-O workshop.

My group have just finished 6 weeks of Rally-O. We have gone through the exercises as well as doing a full course. I'm so proud of my class members. they have been wonderful as far as setting out the courses for the day and packing the equipment away. The dogs tails are wagging which is a bonus of Rally-O. The handlers work the courses with intent and purpose. They have all improved out of site.

Our main problem is the halt 1, 2, 3 Step. We went though it and through it last night. Then I had two handlers at a time doing it together but not bothering about the person beside them.

We all did it exactly the same by adding another step to the 1,2,3 steps.

Can you explaine the steps that are taken for me please.

Two of us are obedience trialing and we don't wont to lead off with our right foot and saying heel at the same time.

Last night was our first timed event although the girls don't know what their times were as this class isn't about trying to beat the clock. This class is for handlers to work with their dogs and become a unit.

They have all booked in for the next term which makes me sort of pleased with myself as I didn't know a lot about Rally-O beofe I started this class.

Who else's Rally-O class is doing well? I'd love to hear from you.

Wendy

BDAG Rally-O's

1-2-3 steps (foward)

Approach the sign and stop with the dog sitting at heel position. This does NOT count as the first step.

Instructing the dog to heel, take one REGULAR size step leading off with the left foot as you SHOULD be doing when begining to heel regardless of the exercise. Bring your trailing food (right) to meet the left and HALT. Dog sits at heel position.

Instructing the dog to heel, take two REGULAR size steps leading off with the left foot. Left=1, right=2 HALT, dog sits at heel position.

Instructing the dog to heel, take three REGULAR size steps leading off with the left foot. Left=1, right=2, left=3 HALT, dog sits at heel position.

PAUSE upon completion of the third set of steps and then proceed to the next station.

BTW...there WILL be time during one of the days to go over the finer points of some of the exercises (regardless of the level) There will be novice courses set up and yes, I"ve got some dandy courses so you WILL be doing that exercise and the 1-2-3 steps call front exercise.

Let it be known, there are a few exercises I"m a REAL stickler about, and these are two of them....I will insist you learn to count properly! :confused:

Sutherland Introduction Day tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I have worked out a novice course with a few challenges and will also have work stations where the somewhat harder to understand signs will be.

Funny how things turn out. We shouldn't have any trouble with the 1 step, 2 steps, 3 steps as this is one of the focus exercises that I give even to my beginning obedience dogs. It is also helpful for gaining your dogs attention before agility trials. Also the people who have done doggy dancing will be way in front with some of the exercises, eg backing up 3 steps.

Oh Angelsun, just look what you have got us into!

Noels.

Hi Rally_O's

I have just realised that it is the 16th of March (or was yesterday) and thought I'd better get the news out and about that:

BELLARINE DOG ACTIVITIES GROUP INC are holding a 1 1/2 day workshop to be held on 25-26th April 2009 at the Geelong Obedience Dog Club grounds, Belmont Common, Breakwater Road, Breakwater, Victoria

The Workshop will commence after 12 noon as the 25th is ANZAC Day, a special day in the Australian Calendar.

If you would like more information then contact me.

Angelsun will be sending me an update on the arrangements very soon (won't you Angelsun?)

I would like to have some idea of numbers so I can organise the eats for the weekend.

If possible I would like you to forward this onto your particular Club as a way of letting Victorian's know of the upcoming Rally Obedience event.

Wendy

It is truly amazing how hard it can be at first to walk, turn and READ at the same time, all while counting.....go figure!!

(trust me, it gets easier as you do it!)

Oh gosh I am going to be a dunce at this :laugh: Hopefully the dog can read better than me :D

Yes, gotta love that 270, but you will be amazed at how quickly it sinks into the brain and becomes natural. Have you tried the About Left Turn?

Ask MrsDog about the 270 turn signs :thumbsup: .

Is the About Left Turn where you go left and the dog goes right??? That's sooo fun to do!

I know I am going to be useless at it, my friend who is does very well at obedience, has beautiful working dogs, she had the first Obedience Champion under the new rules, she had a go at Rally and came last, what hope is there for me :thumbsup:

Yes, that's the turn..when done right, it's quite elegant to watch...when not...well....won't go there!

As for those that excel in traditional obedience bombing out in Rally...VERY common! We like to humble those traditionalists!

Yes, that's the turn..when done right, it's quite elegant to watch...when not...well....won't go there!

Just so you know (if you haven't been told already at seminars), apparently Australians commonly call the left about turn a "pivot turn". Any tips on doing it right/well... regardless of what it's called?

Just found this thread this morning. There has been talk in recent weeks at my obedience club about doing rally o. One of our head instructors also goes to Sutherland club to do agility & flyball. Will have to ask her if she's going/knows about it. Sounds like it will be a great weekend. We dabbled in rally o about 5 yrs ago & nothing became of it.