Anti-barking Collars

We have a bit of a nutter who is newly moved in next door to us. I know his ex quite well and she has said that he has a very bad temper and mental health issues - this was not said in anger, she is helping to care for him and is at his house quite often.

Grover my OH's deerhound is around 9 months old now and he barks quite a bit in play. We have tried dealing with it in different ways - he goes for a small walk every morning but can't have a long one as he is a growing giant breed, he is given a verbal correction, if he gets too vocal (say a bark every few minutes for 5 minutes) then he is brought inside and he sleeps inside at night.

This morning the guy walked out into his backyard, screamed at the dogs to "get down" :D (they weren't "on" anything) and when I went outside to ask him if there was a problem so that I could address it he said "F^%$ing dogs, they bark all day and night". Now I know that this is not true as I work from home, I hear them, if they bark they are brought inside, they sleep inside at night, they are walked regularly etc etc and my other neighbours have told me that my dogs hardly bark. There are only normally two dogs in the rear yard - one is Grover, the other is Bart - the rest of the dogs are in the front yard away from this guy's house.

My reading of the situation is that the guy is a nutter BUT Grover is still annoying. So - time for solutions....

I'm going to put up fence extensions on one section of the fence bordering his property that is only five foot tall - will give us and him some more privacy. But I'm also wondering if a citronella collar might help to correct Grover barking in play? Does anyone have any experience in this regard? I know that all anti-barking collars also involve a level of training - what sort of training are we talking?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just quickly, however it is my understanding that the citronella is a constant aversion as the smell sits on the dog coat, so therefore IMO quiet cruel.

I looked in to this for someone elses dog and a DOL'er pointed this out which makes perfect sense.

K9 Force has a variety of collars on his site plus articles for you to read. I like the look of the air jet stream ones as once the correction is given there is nothing else left behind.

Friends have recently gotten one which vibrates too.

I can understand trying to stop a dog barking when they bark at birds all day, or at traffic, or just because it is a habit ...especially as there is an unstable person living next door :D

Attempting to stop a PUP play-barking?

My worry is that pup gets happy/excited- barks, and gets the aversive.

Will it be the bark which is addressed, or the bouncy., happy feeling?

I bought the jet air collar and it didn't work for my dog. Once she figured out it was just a spray of air she just barked through it.

That's not to say it won't work for your dog but just be aware that it is quite an expensive item and it may not work.

I can understand trying to stop a dog barking when they bark at birds all day, or at traffic, or just because it is a habit ...especially as there is an unstable person living next door :D

Attempting to stop a PUP play-barking?

My worry is that pup gets happy/excited- barks, and gets the aversive.

Will it be the bark which is addressed, or the bouncy., happy feeling?

But if you have a neighbour (who I've since found out is a junky) abusing the dog over the fence that runs a huge risk of danger to the dog.... :D

having recently been through this Tris, my suggestion would be for the 'shock' type

Dogs can play without making noise, they can play with making a low level noise.

i used them on Hunta and Daire for 2 weeks

They play without being overly noisy now, it is lovely

They still get excited but not as noisy

I'm in NSW - shock collars are illegal :D . Otherwise, with Underdog's assistance, they would be my first port of call.

"Shock" collars is the name of the collars from which the modern day "e-collar" or "electronic collar" has evolved. Today, "shock" collars are a far cry from the older style collars.

But yes, you're right Trisven13. Electronic collar devices and e-collar use is illegal in NSW.

Edited by Erny

But if you have a neighbour (who I've since found out is a junky) abusing the dog over the fence that runs a huge risk of danger to the dog.... :thumbsup:

The difficulty is that if you are next door to a junkie with anger issues, no reasonable action you take will protect your dog. You run the risk of making your dog's life smaller and smaller to appease someone who is going to be unreasonable anyway. You've already noted that his assessment of the barking is unreasonable.

I don't know how your yard is set up, but is it possible to put Grover in a secure run in an area where there is no line of sight or access from the road or the guy's house, and shadecloth it so he can't be seen and no-one can throw any bait in? If the guy has decided he doesn't like the dog, he will bait or abuse it whether or not it barks. Or try and sell it to one of his pigging mates to fund his next fix.

I'm sorry, I wish I could be more positive, but if this was me, my dog would be inside or in a locked run. And I'd be reviewing all my other home security arrangements too.

I'm in NSW - shock collars are illegal :thumbsup: . Otherwise, with Underdog's assistance, they would be my first port of call.

"Shock" collars is the name of the collars from which the modern day "e-collar" or "electronic collar" has evolved. Today, "shock" collars are a far cry from the older style collars.

But yes, you're right Trisven13. Electronic collar devices and e-collar use is illegal in NSW.

Now I am confused. What is the difference between what you are referring to and what Ruthless is talking about in her thread? She's in NSW.

I don't know either - I will confess to being confused about that but assumed that she must have special permission to use it as it is being used in conjunction with an approved trainer. :thumbsup:

Hopefully someone in the know will jump on here and tell us!!!

More than a few people seem to have them here who are from NSW.

Sorry you have a loony neighbour BTW they are the worst. :)

I'm in NSW - shock collars are illegal :thumbsup: . Otherwise, with Underdog's assistance, they would be my first port of call.

Now I am confused. What is the difference between what you are referring to and what Ruthless is talking about in her thread? She's in NSW.

Ok - I'm willing to defer on this. It was my understanding that the use of electronic devices on dogs in NSW was taboo. In 'googling' to revisit your "Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act" I realise how much easier it is to navigate the Victorian on-line version ..... although that is perhaps because I'm more used to that site than I am to sites of other States.

I'm not saying I'm wrong - I'm saying that I am now doubting myself - especially because I am not constantly in touch with the laws of other States. If I can navigate to find the relevant sections of the Act I'll re-visit here with them.

I'm in NSW - shock collars are illegal :D . Otherwise, with Underdog's assistance, they would be my first port of call.

bugger that.

Erny i had a mind blank which is why i didnt refer to them as e collars. :D

:thumbsup: ..... I missed that in your post, IHF. You just dobbed yourself in. :)

No worries - I just wanted to clarify so that the incorrect name didn't become habitually used throughout the thread.

Ok - I'm willing to defer on this. It was my understanding that the use of electronic devices on dogs in NSW was taboo. In 'googling' to revisit your "Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act" I realise how much easier it is to navigate the Victorian on-line version ..... although that is perhaps because I'm more used to that site than I am to sites of other States.

I'm not saying I'm wrong - I'm saying that I am now doubting myself - especially because I am not constantly in touch with the laws of other States. If I can navigate to find the relevant sections of the Act I'll re-visit here with them.

I had a look at the Act and Regs, its lists acceptable devices in Schedule 1 of Regs, for dogs these seem to be pingg string and invisible containment collars :thumbsup:

Lots of other things you can do to cattle tho :) some of them quite rude!!!

Edited by Quickasyoucan

I'd try an air spray collar Trisven- Grover is probably soft enough for one. And while i agree that its not ideal to have to correct him for barking in play, sometimes living in suburban areas and dealing with neighbours means our dogs have to do things they otherwise would not to stay safe.

Trish I have both citronella collars plus one 'shock' collar. I also live in NSW. Ebay USA is your best friend LOL. Even with postage they cost half of what they cost here and they are exactly the same product. I can loan you a citronella one this weekend if you like? Can also loan you the shock one to try too- but you would need to send it back in a week or so as i use it on one of my fosters lol.

From memory the shock one was about $90 australian including postage and the citronella ones were around $120. But that was when the dollar was worth more so would cost a bit more now. But considering they sell here for $220 ish its a HUGE saving. I have 3 regular citronella ones, 2 waterproof citronella ones and one waterproof shock one. Also buy the batteries for them from Hong Kong. They charge up to $8 per battery here!!! I got 32 batteries for $60 aussie delivered.

You might have been lucky with getting your electronic collars through customs, Indigirl, and so might have others. But I think there's been just as many or more who have had theirs seized by Customs on arrival as you are supposed to have special permit to import them.

If the collar is seized, it works out to be a very expensive exercise for the purchaser, as they lose that money and then only have to go through the correct channels to buy one anyway. And with the money exchange rate at the moment, it would be quite a reasonable amount, I suspect. If you were to purchase from OS, I think you need to do so with the acceptance that you run a big risk in doing your dough. If you're prepared for that, then so be it.

I would suggest to anyone that they consult with a trainer/behaviourist who is familiar with the use of the electronic collars first. Not only to determine suitability but also to help the dog-owner decide on the best model collar for the dog. My preference is for the style that you can set the settings to suit the dog and of course that it is of good quality, waterproof, etc. etc. and I also prefer the rechargable ones. Although this style is that bit more expensive, generally speaking.

Edited by Erny