Spaying - When Is The Best Time To Do It?

Arty, with my girls i have always done them just before their first seasons

Thanks i has flava. :thumbsup:

Why did you get then done so early and not wait until after their first season? Was it for convenience sake? Were you advised to do it that way by anyone?

with Mitchi i did it before hand as that is what we had always been told - get them speyed before their first season, my vet also said it

With Hunta as her breed dont usually come into season until 12-14 i waited until she was 11.5months to get it done. Most of her growing was done anyway

With Hunta because i had an entire male at home, my breeder and i came to the decision to get her done before she had a season

With small dogs, they finish growing earlier so getting them done earlier shouldnt affect growing.

Before i learnt what i have i would have always got them done before - because that is what you did and also i dont want a bitch in season at my place - too much hassle as far as i am concerned

However if i got a bitch and she was not going to be shown and my breeder said to get her done before her first season, i probably would unless she was a large breed bitch

My vet advised to have my puppy bitch spayed mid way between her first and second season adding it's not something that would be recommended to an owner who was not responsible and/or couldn't manage the dog whilst in season. The first season is nature's way of letting us know the animal is now mature. I would never spay or neuter a dog which is immature. Managing the bitch during this time involved some thought and care, but we should all be doing that throughout their lives in my opinion. Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Thank you :)

and you too i has flava :D

Aubrey has been spayed today so we're picking her up from the Vet in about 2 hours. :thumbsup:

She turns 9 months on Monday.

She had her first season just under 3 months ago, as I was of the belief that doing it between the 1st and 2nd season was the best time.

It was a bit hard managing her and the blood for the 2 weeks, then managing her around dogs for a few weeks after that, but we got through it, and now we have a mature bitch who will hopefully not have all the randy dogs chasing her around the dog parks!

Andrew

In our puppy contract all must be spayed by 6 months.If they come in season before this time they are told to wait until after the season ,never to get in down whilst in season( we care for the dog at this time if its a problem)

We have never had any bitch with mammary cancer & whilst we spay our retired bitches they could be 8-9 years old.I dont believe a vet could claim a 100% reduce risk though.

Even now all our bicthes nipples etc are checked.

We also apply this same principal to grooming clients as many owners never check there dogs testicles or there bitches nipples etc etc for changes,

We have over the years picked up alot of cancers the owners never new about .

Its a shame she wont be shown especially if she has all the potential as she would be a great asset to the trainee judges plus letting the reed being scene.

Showing is very easy to learn & plenty of helpers in the Terrier grp.

I had both of my girls done at 5.5 months. I was definately more stressed about the hwole thing thwn what they were! Each of them came home groggy and tired but the next day you wouldn't even know that anything had happened!

My vet told me its better to get it done earlier as they bounce back alittle bit easier when they are younger?

Not sure how true this is but it worked with my two girls

Its a shame she wont be shown especially if she has all the potential as she would be a great asset to the trainee judges plus letting the reed being scene.

Showing is very easy to learn & plenty of helpers in the Terrier grp.

I have never been to a dog show so really have no idea what is involved. My greatest concern is it would be time consuming and expensive.

I never seem to have the time to do everything I need as it is! :thumbsup:

It can be as time consuming as you want it to be & as expensive as you want it to be.

I cant remember the last time a Norwich was shown in WA,there have been Norfolks & i handled one of those for my friends.

I would gather it is most likely trained for the show ring already which would make things easier but it really comes down to whether or want to join the CAWA & have that expense part of it.

As a side not it only takes 17 shows to become a champ :thumbsup:

The age that your little one arrives means it eligible for points .

The main consuming part will be the coat but it depends on how you plan to to do it as a pet?

It can be as time consuming as you want it to be & as expensive as you want it to be.

I cant remember the last time a Norwich was shown in WA,there have been Norfolks & i handled one of those for my friends.

I would gather it is most likely trained for the show ring already which would make things easier but it really comes down to whether or want to join the CAWA & have that expense part of it.

As a side not it only takes 17 shows to become a champ :)

The age that your little one arrives means it eligible for points .

The main consuming part will be the coat but it depends on how you plan to to do it as a pet?

I'll PM you tomorrow I think (if that's alright), rather than take over my own thread! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me what is the benefit of letting a bitch have her first season before being spayed? Is it a myth like letting them have a litter of puppies first, sort of thing? Or is it common practice?

My vet advised to have my puppy bitch spayed mid way between her first and second season adding it's not something that would be recommended to an owner who was not responsible and/or couldn't manage the dog whilst in season. The first season is nature's way of letting us know the animal is now mature. I would never spay or neuter a dog which is immature. Managing the bitch during this time involved some thought and care, but we should all be doing that throughout their lives in my opinion. Good luck!

Here's a link to the article I read that changed my mind on spaying & letting Tilba have one heat.

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

My vet also agreed with me.

Edited by luvsdogs

My girl who is 5 months is going in next week to get speyed, so just wondering what are the risks with having it done too early?

HAve a read of the article that was just posted by luvsdogs...

I had Chelsea done at 2 years of age - she was main register and we decided against breeding from her (she excellent hip/elbow scores etc). She wasn't messy when on heat at all, the odd drop of blood here or there. We kept her isnide we weren't home as we don't have a run, which may not be for everyone.

If she was limited, she would have been done at around 12 months-ish. My vet has supported this.

Edited by ChelseasMum

There would appear to be more incontenience in spayed bitches than mammary cancers in entire bitches? Only ever spayed one bitch in 50 years + of having show dogs and never had any problems.

Yep, a bit of inconvience for a few weeks maybe twice a year but IMO better than mucking around with mother nature.