50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on what brand of SLR you have firestone.

If you have a canon, you're looking at about $120 for the 50mm 1.8 and about $550-600 for the 50mm 1.4 - the sigma 50mm 1.4 is about the same and comes with a nikon or a canon mount.

I'm not sure about the other brands. Last I heard, the nikon 50mm 1.4 was cheaper than the canon but it all depends on where you get it from.

I just paid $380pp for my sigma 50/1.4 second hand (barely used, as new) which I consider to be a bargain.

The canon 50/1.8 or "nifty 50" gives you good bang for your buck - as Shell mentioned you can pick one up for around $120.

I'm not a fan of the canon 50/1.4 -I don't think it's as nice as the sigma.

The canon 50 1.2 is gorgeous but will set you back about $1200.

Thanks Shell and Macka. ;) I have the Canon 450d and a learner. I just loved the pics in this thread.

The 1.2 is outside my price range thats for sure hubby would have kittens. I will keep this in mind and as I get more confident and learn more I just might have to have one of these.

If I was buying again knowing what I do now about the Canon 50 1.4 I wouldn't buy it again. Mine is faulty and it's having it's second stint in hospital. The first time they couldn't find the fault. Now it's only 2 months out of warranty they suddenly find it needs work and will cost me $374.63 to repair. ;) After another email from me they've decided to repair it free of charge, as a gesture of goodwill, they say. Yeah right. I think it's an obligation, I should be able to expect a $600 lens to last longer than this.

Next time it would be a toss up between the cheapie nifty fifty or the Sigma which has better bokeh.

• 4 weeks later...

just keeping this thread bumped - these were taken this morning with the 1.8

it's the only lens i can cope with at the beach as the others are too bulky to deal with when i have the dogs flying around!

-1429.jpg

-1418.jpg

hey - there's a toller up your bum :rofl:

-1411.jpg

Annie that first photo is just lovely, just makes me wish I was standing there too, I bet that's going on the next calendar.

Congrats dogs4eva on your new camera. Are you thrilled with it. I especially like your first 2 photos, beautiful expression on your lovely dog and I like the way he/she's isolated from the background.

Annie that first photo is just lovely, just makes me wish I was standing there too, I bet that's going on the next calendar.

thanks kirislin - he does a lot of standing in the sea after his big zoomie - it helps cool his aging "racing" toes which aren't real good. I try to stick to GSN dogs in the calendar, but I might put it on redbubble so I can buy a card :D

A few shots I took at my sisters wedding last weekend... I was in the bridal party as were my children so didnt have much time to take photos.. but I managed to snap a few quick ones..

First up, my beautiful kids

DSC05683.jpg

My kids and my cousins

DSC05706.jpg

My Son & my Mum

DSC05696.jpg

My daughter getting her hair done

DSC05645.jpg

Edited by lic_82

Those wedding pics are really nice lic!

Here's a photo I took of Spence yesterday. He was sitting in a sunbeam in the backyard. I like that his eyes are closed.

Great shot of Spence

Love your shots too Shell :(

A Herd of Whippets :thumbsup:

consisting of my 5 and I met up with another friend who has 3, one of which I bred, Muffin who is Kibahs daughter and Feathers sister.

4551716327_593207c77e_b.jpg

Stitch in foreground, then from L - R

Muffin, Penny, Tag, Puck, Tex, Feather and Kibah.

Hang about you lot.

4552389824_0c1fa007ae_b.jpg

Something I must get used to is trying a higher ISO and smaller f/stop so I could've got them all in focus.