Fish Oil

Tiggy

Do most people feed the human fish oil capsules/liquids or buy the dog products? I think the human products are cheaper. I was looking at buying a fish oil liquid from the health food store but it had lemon/lime flavour which I thought the dogs might not like.

I have used Fish Oil tablets for the last couple of months and have found it very help for for Tiffany and Millie's itchies. This with their diet of raw and Quit-Itch and finally I have some sort of control.

I use one tablet of 1000mg human grade Fish Oil from Chemist Warehouse. Cheaper there than a chemist but do look around.

I did a bit of searching today & found 1000mg capsules (200)@ priceline ,thier own brand ,very reasonable @ $10.00,but now i am wondering ,how many a day for a 15kilo cocker ?i thought 1 a day ?

If the dogs diet is suffient in all ways then the one a day would suffice.

My boy gets 2 x 1000mg a day and he also has flaxseed oil on cottage cheese every second day for health too.

That is a good price for them, might have to go and check it out tomorrow.

:o Thanx for replies ,I tried mine with them whole last nite ,they all thouht it was a treat !!!!!some tossed then around a bit first ,but ate them in the end :)

anyone looking @ priceline , They are on special atm ,best price I could come up with ,so wanted to share this .

I use Melrose flaxseed oil - just a drizzle over breakfast every second day

I prefer flaxseed oil to fish oil as well. Since I've been giving them flaxseed oil my female has had no recurrence of the odd skin infections she used to get on her back. They were all on fish oil for years, but the flaxseed oil seems to be better for them - my male Neo's coat is magnificent this year, after a winter on flaxseed oil.

I give them the capsules of oil, since mine are big dogs I just use the suggested human dosage.

What's the dosage for dogs? I have two Staffords about 20kg.

I use half the human dose for Pele (28kg).

I've heard that you can't overdose the dog in the same way that you can't overdose yourself on those capsules (apparently your body can get rid of any excess). I take 6 a day myself (preventative measure because rheumatoid arthritis runs in my family) and I give Zero a few too. He's 33kgs atm (he's been overweight since i got him so i'm hoping his joints haven't been affected) and usually i give him 3 or 4.