Climbs On Kitchen Bench

Hmmm...shutting the door is the simplest option but dognamit, the irrational me wants to be able to leave the door open and not have a dog climbing on my benches.

I think deep down, you'd love to build an amazing booby trap....where something works when your doggie stands on his launch off spot....like a trapdoor opens up or a fire alarm sounds or Tiger Jack's Scat Mat gives off a charge (what's that?).

:thumbsup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zoe bench surfed as a pup, we tried lots of things to stop her but it got easier as she got bigger....

For us a squirty bottle filled with vinegar and water did the trick, we gave her a squirt when we caught her and she learnt pretty quick not to do it again....

Move the couch? :rofl:

Damn it, I'm not going to start redecorating because of Barkly!!

The baby gates were compromise enough.

I won't do it. I won't do it. I won't do it :laugh:

:rolleyes:

Ask someone else to do it. Someone who doesn't suffer from Couch Moving Phobia (which is incurable, I believe). :cool: :rofl::rofl:

It's the same thing you'd do for a toddler. Like move a stool away from near a stove.

I've found that managing dogs & managing toddlers are remarkably similar.

The couch only fits where it is (in an aesthetically pleasing way). Maybe if I bought a new couch, I could rearrange things...and a recliner, and a big LCD TV, and a media center, and...

Oh, come on Luke... why don't you just buy a whole new house??!! :thumbsup:

Can we have pics of barkly, benched :laugh: ?

You could always get him his own puter... then he wouldn't need to bench surf :thumbsup:

I'd have to setup motion detectors to fire a hidden camera!

Or... what about a stealth bomber?? :rolleyes:

This is fun. I think we are really nearly onto something.

Edited by dyzney

Are you in the room, when he jumps up on the bench? If not, you can use a motion sensor alarm... Stick it on the bench with some bluetack, set the alarm on the highest pitch it has...

I have used this method in the past, when I wanted to keep my dog off my couch... This alarm has an off switch, so you can leave it there, turned off, when you are in the kitchen.

OK - I've got 30m of fishing line, 2.5kg of blue tac, one red 8 liter bucket, a pile of old newspapers, 7 VB stubbies (5 empty, 2 full), 4 skyhooks, a left handed screw driver, a welding kit and a bucket of sparks, a 1989 Oxford English dictionary, 1 chicken breast fillet and a box of thumbtacks.

Oh and a motion detecting webcam.

Ideas?

OK - I've got 30m of fishing line, 2.5kg of blue tac, one red 8 liter bucket, a pile of old newspapers, 7 VB stubbies (5 empty, 2 full), 4 skyhooks, a left handed screw driver, a welding kit and a bucket of sparks, a 1989 Oxford English dictionary, 1 chicken breast fillet and a box of thumbtacks.

Ideas?

See. I knew it really wasn't just the dog. It's the urge to invent something mad but marvellous... because it works... behind all this.

Luke wants to build one of those systems where something sets off something which sets off something etc etc etc etc....until the last something turns the dog off getting onto the bench... in full flight.

But what to start with?

The pile of old newspapers near the bench, which topple over as the dog starts his jump. And that knocks over the 7 stubbies which makes a hell of a noise, so the dog steps backwards in fright.... onto the bluc tac which holds him there until he smells the chicken breast hidden in the bucket.

Which keeps the dog busy until....well, I've run out of ideas (but at least the dog is still not on the bench). It needs a master to complete this fail-safe system..

Damn! I haven't factored in the wretched couch. Maybe it could be suspended from the 4 skyhooks (if Luke doesn't mind sitting there with his feet long way off the floor). That's not really moving it...

Edited by mita

Ideas?

Ok now what you need to do is, hang the chicken breast fillet from the roof with the fishing line and skyhooks to entice your dog up and on to the bench so you can catch him in the act and effectively punish him, break the VB stubbies and stick them to the bench with bluetac (just like businesses do with glass bottles on top of there brick fences in areas such as redfern) this will no doubt be uncomfortable under your dogs feet.

When you dog jumps up and on to the bench you have to immediately run out of the next room banging the old newspapers against the bucket whilst you yell at you dog with a whole new bunch of swear words that you have learned from the oxford dictionary.

You should have created an appropriate tripod to hold the motion detecting camera in place to catch this priceless moment so you can post the video on dol, the left handed screw driver – bucket of sparks and thumbtacks are totally unnecessary and will no doubt offend many of the purely positive dog trainers who frequent dol.

There are many more great methods of dog training similar to this mentioned in the Koehler Method of Dog Training which I suggest you purchase and read.

Good luck and I look forward to the video.

I had a problem of my dog making herself comfortable on a couch - when I wasn't in the room. I put cellophane paper on the couch & the crackly noise that the cellophane made when she hopped on soon convinced her to stay off. Maybe this will keep your dog using the couch as a stepping stone.

Sorry I haven't been replying but I do appreciate all the ideas.

I tripped on a stubby and fell off the bench while attaching a skyhook and stuck my hand in the bucket of sparks so I'm typing with one hand.

My latest short term measure, a barricade of cardboard boxes, he ate. I'm hoping the cardboard will flush out the cellophane which he ate about 30 minutes ago.

Sorry I haven't been replying but I do appreciate all the ideas.

I tripped on a stubby and fell off the bench while attaching a skyhook and stuck my hand in the bucket of sparks so I'm typing with one hand.

My latest short term measure, a barricade of cardboard boxes, he ate. I'm hoping the cardboard will flush out the cellophane which he ate about 30 minutes ago.

Oowah, looks like you got caught in your own booby traps. That's always a worry.

How much fibre is in cardboard?? Guess you'll find out soon! :thumbsup: At least shredding and eating the boxes would have kept him off the couch for a while! Try plastic crates next time!

Well, he's smart.

He's put the cellophane back on the bench and the cardboard on the floor in front of the couch. Of course the cardboard and cellophane aren't quite in original condition.