Supercoat Question.

Guest english.ivy

I used to feed Tilba Supercoat puppy but switched over to Innova. It's expensive too & not always available or in date. The only reason I switched from SC was because I've heard bad things about beet pulp which seems to be in their whole range.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB, I am not sure why you would be asking about Supercoat :thumbsup: Your Belgian was raised from weaning on the best diet possible, ie BARF. There is lots of info available on BARF on DOL & I know your breeder will also help you to devise a diet which provides optimum nutrition for value for money :thumbsup:

my dally has supercoat special care, so hope they aren't stopping it :laugh: i was tols they were stopping only the puppy line.

he has had crystal "stones" removed after causing a blockage, so has to be on a low purine diet. :D

my dally has supercoat special care, so hope they aren't stopping it :D i was tols they were stopping only the puppy line.

he has had crystal "stones" removed after causing a blockage, so has to be on a low purine diet. :cool:

Sorry totally off topic but I had to reread your post.... I read he has to be on a low 'prune' diet :laugh: And I have new glasses!

Guest belgian.blue
BB, I am not sure why you would be asking about Supercoat :laugh: Your Belgian was raised from weaning on the best diet possible, ie BARF. There is lots of info available on BARF on DOL & I know your breeder will also help you to devise a diet which provides optimum nutrition for value for money ;)

my dog .. my diet choices :birthday:

met up with Ivys sister and her owner hasn't stuck with the breeders diet either .. what the breeder feeds you can only buy online and that doesn't suit Ivys owner.

Edited by belgian.blue

BB, I am not sure why you would be asking about Supercoat :( Your Belgian was raised from weaning on the best diet possible, ie BARF. There is lots of info available on BARF on DOL & I know your breeder will also help you to devise a diet which provides optimum nutrition for value for money :laugh:

my dog .. my diet choices :p

met up with Ivys sister and her owner hasn't stuck with the breeders diet either .. what the breeder feeds you can only buy online and that doesn't suit Ivys owner.

Actually that is not entirely true. I used to buy Dr Bruce’s from my local produce store and not online. I found out where to buy it by ringing them and they gave me a list of stockists to buy it from. I used it whenever I didn’t make up a veggie mix for my dogs for convenience.

I don’t buy it anymore as it was becoming too expensive so I make up my own mixture. I just suggested some of my puppy buyers use it as an alternative to mixing up their own vegetables as it is a big ask to feed raw when you are not used to it.

As you know my puppy packs encourage the feeding of raw but I do not insist upon it. What I do ask is if you aren’t going to feed raw then try to feed a premium dry with its first ingredient as meat.

The puppy buyer you are referring to in Melbourne fed her puppy raw for several weeks after her puppy arriving at her home until she adjusted to her new environment and then she slowly weaned her onto a super premium pet food (and not Supercoat) which she is now eating and thriving on. :eek: She asked me if the food she was going to feed her puppy was OK with me and I agreed that it would be. :o

Just thought that I’d clarify that to clear up any misunderstanding. :p

Cheerio

Maria

BB, I am not sure why you would be asking about Supercoat :laugh: Your Belgian was raised from weaning on the best diet possible, ie BARF. There is lots of info available on BARF on DOL & I know your breeder will also help you to devise a diet which provides optimum nutrition for value for money :eek:

my dog .. my diet choices :o

Actually BB, the best thing you can do for Ivy is to seek the support of your breeder, ask her the diet questions as she's probably seen the results of most foods & their effects on your breed.

And she's an awesome person :(

fifi

BB, I am not sure why you would be asking about Supercoat :laugh: Your Belgian was raised from weaning on the best diet possible, ie BARF. There is lots of info available on BARF on DOL & I know your breeder will also help you to devise a diet which provides optimum nutrition for value for money :p

my dog .. my diet choices :p

Actually BB, the best thing you can do for Ivy is to seek the support of your breeder, ask her the diet questions as she's probably seen the results of most foods & their effects on your breed.

And she's an awesome person :(

fifi

:eek: I have to agree with both points, fifi!

I have fed BARF for over 20 years now & would never go back to commercial food. My Midniara Belgian is four years of age, she is trim, fit & athletic with a a shiny coat & the pearliest white teeth you have ever seen :o

Guest belgian.blue
I have fed BARF for over 20 years now & would never go back to commercial food. My Midniara Belgian is four years of age, she is trim, fit & athletic with a a shiny coat & the pearliest white teeth you have ever seen

Sounds exactly like Ivy. She's in perfect condition :)

Barf doesn't suit my lifestyle right now. She isn't on an entire diet of kibble I can assure you of that (I don't agree on that at one bit).

Yep I know I can ask the breeder for diet help and Midinara knows I will ask if I need help :)

edit - she won't be fed supercoat. I was purely questioning people on the food. Going by her problems with salt I won't be chancing it.

Edited by belgian.blue

How come your buying Supercoat? In a thread just recently you told me to buy California natural coz it was the best stuff out :laugh: If your changing to Supercoat do it slowly coz it doesnt suit all dogs theres lots of fillers in it.When I tried it it gave my dogs the runs something cronic they did piles and piles of poop.I ended up chucking it out.

Cal Nat is still very good but its expensive and I now have to start watching what I spend.

The basic SC lines are full of fillers yes (and I wouldn't touch it) but if you look at the link, the special care lines are made without fillers for sensitive stomachs. They must be a new line?

That is why I want to get some asap while I have Cal Nat left so I can switch her over slowly ;) If she doesn't do well then I will go back to CN.

Oh right O I was a bit surprised coz you raved about cal nat and theres a hell of a difference between cal nat and supercrap.But yeah its expensive.

Guest belgian.blue
Oh right O I was a bit surprised coz you raved about cal nat and theres a hell of a difference between cal nat and supercrap.But yeah its expensive.

Yeah had a good think about it and sticking with Cal Nat .. which is selling well and Supercrap isn't.

Another question .. beet pulp; why do they add this to dry .. anyone know?

Yeah had a good think about it and sticking with Cal Nat .. which is selling well and Supercrap isn't.

Another question .. beet pulp; why do they add this to dry .. anyone know?

Ive tried all the cheap drys and none of them worked for my 2 mainly lots more poop and I had to feed them more and they didnt look as good in their coats.Someone said that beet pulp helps them to have solid poops but Im not sure about that.

Sounds exactly like Ivy. She's in perfect condition ;)

If you start feeding her supercoat or crap dry food that will soon change :mad

If money is an issue then you should really look into feeding a raw diet, it is a hell of a lot cheaper then premium dry food. I really don't see how it can't suit your lifestyle :laugh:

Edited by spotty.spot.spot

In research I did for some papers I wrote up (for a massage (?) course I part way completed) some time ago, I gathered information pertaining to food 'labels' and optimum percentage intake on certain minerals/proteins etc.

From my notes I see that the "optimum percentage intake of salt for dogs is 0.4% on a dry-matter basis". Reference source for this info was "Raw Meaty Bones" by Tom Lonsdale.

IMO, I think 1% is somewhat high and I think you could do better.

But as you say, sometimes finances get a bit thin.

What about raw feeding? Can prove cheaper all round.

Guest belgian.blue
If you start feeding her supercoat or crap dry food that will soon change ;)

Read my replies properly .. she won't be eating supercoat .. ever.

:laugh:

Edited by belgian.blue

I've been feeding both my dogs Supercoat Special Care Sensetive for a few months now. Jarrah's itchy skin and flaky coat has completely cleared, and both dogs do nice firm, regular, low-odour poos.

It works well for us, for multiple reasons (we are on a pretty tight budget at the moment), and we are happy with it for now.

But what suits one dog & owner won't suit another, of course.