Ahhh The Joys Of Ud....

Guest PixieOfWrath
Pixie for what it's worth I would always say sit in that situation the points don't bother me and sometimes you only have to say it the first time. I would rather lose a qualifying score (and I have done) than have the dog repeat the wrong behaviour, but that's just me.

That's exactly the thing - once Holly had gotten away with it the first time with me saying nothing, she did it another three or four times in the ring thinking it wasn't a problem. Next time I will be bloody telling her to sit if she doesn't do it automatically!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading, reading lol. I am struggling with when to enter the first trial too. I did a run through on Sunday after no training all Xmas and Poppy went really well. Passed all her CCD stuff and did some novice stuff too. I had a different judge too which normally freaks me out and it wasn't until I was finished that I realised I was much better. Was a really, really good handler too which normally flips me out.

I don't think I want to enter until I am 100% confident. Am about 80% at the moment. Mainly because I know I get so nervous. Poppy is only 13 months so there is no hurry.

Am about to start agility with her though so hope that doesn't muck the obedience up. Have already noticed that she wants to heal a little bit out after the agility circle work I have been doing.

LP have you umm had a bit of a taste of the new metal articles?? Sounds like there is something about the taste that he doesn't like. They weren't hot either were they on the day he mucked it up? Was cooler yesterday.

Pixie for what it's worth I would always say sit in that situation the points don't bother me and sometimes you only have to say it the first time. I would rather lose a qualifying score (and I have done) than have the dog repeat the wrong behaviour, but that's just me.

That's exactly the thing - once Holly had gotten away with it the first time with me saying nothing, she did it another three or four times in the ring thinking it wasn't a problem. Next time I will be bloody telling her to sit if she doesn't do it automatically!

I agree, I will also give a second command (or verbal in the case of a sit) if my dog misses a position in the trial ring, as I am then much more likely to get the position on the first go next time. Local judges here will let you know that you will lose points etc. but don't seem to mind, however sometimes judges from other states will really come down on you for doing it and really don't like it.

LP, isn't UD fun :rofl: Although I didn't trial Flynn much in UD, he did manage to get a negative score for an exerise once! :cheer: I'm just starting scent work with Rogan now, and just when I think he's got it he brings me back down to earth :rofl:

Ptolomy.... the steps before it went pearshaped?!

*Bring out mat

*Place articles on mat

*scent article

*Place scented article down

*send dog to find it

*dog finds it, spits it out, searches again, finds it, spits it out, searches again....looks at me for an answer...

*sigh*

Did it this morning with 3 metals and presto - I *know* how to do that!

Repeat with some woods and leathers..... no problems mum...

last night was the new set - which have now been airing almost since the last time I posted about article trobles....

this morning was with an old set.....

Hey Ptolomy why are you shaking your head?!?!!? We dont' all have really really good red dogs unfortunately :laugh:

Hey I have completed all the UD exercises and scored 0 in each one - Blaize bless her :cheer: What do they say Rooster one day, feather duster the next :rofl:

Interesting that Leo had issues with a new set of articles. I take it that you have trained scent in many different locations? A couple of things you can try - add a few perfume lids/soap/dirty socks you know smelly things - to your bag of articles - then place them out and send him to find the scented article. The dog actually has to work really hard at ignoring the strongly scented things. It seems to improve their confidence when you remove the smelly things.

You can also try doing some heelwork and then sending him for an article, then doing a directed retrieve to a food bowl and then doing an article, then sending him to the box and then another article, then a COP and then another article. You don't always have to send him from the same spot either. The dogs seem to enjoy the variety and once again it helps with confidence. :rofl:

While we are here .......have you started combining exercises yet? so seekback and a box, scent and a COP?

LP have you umm had a bit of a taste of the new metal articles?? Sounds like there is something about the taste that he doesn't like. They weren't hot either were they on the day he mucked it up? Was cooler yesterday.

Hey Jules - that's excellent that you were more relaxed this time round :rofl::rofl: I thought you were going to the GD seminar :cheer:

He seemed fine with picking it up at other times... but you could be right - who knows.... maybe he's just demented :rofl:

I agree, I will also give a second command (or verbal in the case of a sit) if my dog misses a position in the trial ring, as I am then much more likely to get the position on the first go next time. Local judges here will let you know that you will lose points etc. but don't seem to mind, however sometimes judges from other states will really come down on you for doing it and really don't like it.

LP, isn't UD fun :rofl: Although I didn't trial Flynn much in UD, he did manage to get a negative score for an exerise once! :rofl: I'm just starting scent work with Rogan now, and just when I think he's got it he brings me back down to earth :laugh:

Pixie - it might be an idea before you start in the ring to ask the judge what their rules are as it will change per judge - some judges will take points off, others will not. No harm in asking. Some if you don't re-command will ask you to anyway :cheer:. I think it's up to you and what suits you best for your training!

LOL FHRP - UD is fun dont' get me wrong, but gee it's frustrating sometimes!

Hey I have completed all the UD exercises and scored 0 in each one - Blaize bless her :cheer: What do they say Rooster one day, feather duster the next :cheers:

Interesting that Leo had issues with a new set of articles. I take it that you have trained scent in many different locations? A couple of things you can try - add a few perfume lids/soap/dirty socks you know smelly things - to your bag of articles - then place them out and send him to find the scented article. The dog actually has to work really hard at ignoring the strongly scented things. It seems to improve their confidence when you remove the smelly things.

You can also try doing some heelwork and then sending him for an article, then doing a directed retrieve to a food bowl and then doing an article, then sending him to the box and then another article, then a COP and then another article. You don't always have to send him from the same spot either. The dogs seem to enjoy the variety and once again it helps with confidence. :cheer:

While we are here .......have you started combining exercises yet? so seekback and a box, scent and a COP?

Awesome suggestions Ptolomy - thank you! I have done scent in a vareity of locations, but haven't exhausted this yet. Usually new locations hasn't phased him to date - but hey, anything can happen :). I love the idea of mixing it up too. Why didn't I think of that :laugh:.... I have started combining exercises, but not at the level of a full routine yet, just 2-3 exercises at a time... which of course he loves! I just wish that once he got it he would stay there and not fall down again.

Obedience is scary :rofl:

Yup whitty - run away, far away and save yourself!!!

Actually maybe I'll ask here - if you are in the ring and on a halt, your dog doesn't sit, do you lose MORE points if you say "sit" to make them do it, than if you said nothing and left them standing there?

Pixie - If my dog missed a position in the ring - the first time I would give it the benefit of the doubt - possibly my fault didn't give the right cues etc - if they missed the same position again :rofl: then bugger the points - I would definitely be giving a verbal - sit, good girl....... :rofl:

I audited on the Foundation day LP! :rofl: Was very good. How were the days that you went to?? Got to say that I am starting to lean more towards agility now...... Starting prep with Poppy on Sunday at some ungodly hour!!!

:thumbsup: Ptolomy!!!! You are EVIL!!!

Nothing willl break, nothing will break, nothing will break!

All these obedience people are suckers for punishment I'm leaving :smurf:

Did some 'yummy metal article' training last night which went well - he's a silly duffa :shrug: