Clipping A Dog

Ravyk

I have a bitza terrier [staffy X pitbull X maltese X silky] and I want to clip her, well at least thin out her hair because of the heat.

DSC04314.jpg

DSC05892.jpg

she has a double coat [a long white and grey coat with a short reddy brown underneath] and im a little worried that it wont grow back if i cut it too short

what would the best length to cut it too be? or should i just thin it? and if i was to thin it, would i thin out her undercoat or the long coat?

and what would the best equipment be to clip her with? [i want to do it myself mainly b/c i cant afford a trip to the groomers at the moment =/ ]

Edited by Ravyk

Guest PixieOfWrath

Personally I wouldn't clip it at all. The coat works as insulation against the heat as well as the cold and you could actually make her hotter by taking it off. She doesn't have a huge thick coat anyway :thumbsup:

I wouldn't clip it either. Get an undercoat rake such as an Oster or Mars Coat King and strip out some of her undercoat to make her cooler, but her coat acts as insulation from the heat as well as the cold.

Plus, if you clip her off, it might grow back quite fluffy at first and wouldn't suit her at all. She's an odd mix of breeds, but my goodness, she's a cute little tacker!

The coat works as insulation against the heat as well as the cold and you could actually make her hotter by taking it off

It's been interesting reading a few comments during this excessive heat about owners saying their dogs aren't coping due to their coat, yet they are the ones who sprout their 'fully insulated' theory.

To the OP, the dog is a cross breed so chances are the coat isn't that great anyway. Personally I would take it all off if you feel she is suffering as I believe that a dog does feel relief without their coat regardless of breed.

However, by the looks of her a good Coat King then probably a Furminator could do the trick of thinning it out without worrying too much about regrowth.

Edited by Clyde

Guest PixieOfWrath

Yer, well, I'm not one of those :thumbsup:

Ravyk - it really was just my personal opinion, I'm not saying don't clip her off at all under any circumstances, only that if she was my dog, I wouldn't :p

Edited by PixieOfWrath

To the OP, the dog is a cross breed so chances are the coat isn't that great anyway. Personally I would take it all off if you feel she is suffering as I believe that a dog does feel relief without their coat regardless of breed.

:p normally her coat is quite nice and silky [from the silky terrier], but shes been finding secret burr caches all over the yard and rolling in the dust everytime i brush or wash her :thumbsup: [hence she looks so 'neglected' in the second shot]

i dont want to clip it right off because its a nice looking coat and i know sometimes it doesnt grow back properly

To the OP, the dog is a cross breed so chances are the coat isn't that great anyway. .

:mad normally her coat is quite nice and silky

:) Sorry I can be tactless sometimes. I meant in 'groomers terms'. I like the scruffy woofas, but the coat is terrible to work with.

I had a sheltie (Double coat) and he had been clipped before he came to me, probably several times, and his coat was awful. several groomers told me that clipping a double coated dog, always led to problems later down the track, unless you continued to clip. Having said that, I know of sevveral people, who clip just hte belly of the dog, and recon that the dog is cooler (I'm contemplating going that way)

for my dogs, I have one of those clam shell things with some water in it, they get in it to cool down. then lie stretched out on the concrete (Indeed seam to prefer to do this than come inside into the cooling) you just have to watch that they don't get all wet, and then come inside LOL.

Rayvk, personally id do a bit of both. Ive got a few mixed that look like yours and they get a bit of thining and clipping. The only time your going to run into problems wiht clipping is if you shave into her undercoat. Sometimes and I repeat sometimes it makes it fluffier but something alot of people have to remamber that with cross breeds not all of them have the same coat designs as purebreds. from what ive seen more crosses have a terrible time with the heat depending on the cross where are the purebred of the crosses cope better.

But getting a mars coat king you can thin out the undercoat which will help and if your dog is getting into the burrs and bindis then get a pair of thining scissors and scissor off a bit of length from around the areas that she is getting prickles caught in her. That is if you want to keep the scuffy look. Ive got a few that i gt asked to clip off and their coats have never grown back badly or differently.

Where in Adelaide are you anyway? Might be able to get you a good price of a mars and scissors if you wanted...

The otherthing thing is that in your OP you said you cant really afford a groomer atm. I charge $50 for a dog like yours which is less than it will cost you just for the mars coat king and that providing you get the right sized one first go. If you like pm me and id be mor that happy to help.

Ravyk, her coat looks like it perhaps could be stripped in places... When I eventually meet you, I can give it a feel and let you know.

A coat king might work well enough, but her coat looks thin in places, anyway.

I doubt she'll feel better in the heat with less hair. Her belly looks quite thin in coat, anyway.

The coat works as insulation against the heat as well as the cold and you could actually make her hotter by taking it off

It's been interesting reading a few comments during this excessive heat about owners saying their dogs aren't coping due to their coat, yet they are the ones who sprout their 'fully insulated' theory.

With arctic breeds like the sibe, mal, sammy, lappy etc, they actually can't regulate their body temperature without the coat because they're so well furred and their body is built to be like that. Taking it off is not a good option, but neither is leaving them out in the sun on a hot day without a huge amount of cool water that they can dig themselves into.

With a dog like the OP's I personally would strip the coat with something like a coat king and if the dog still appears to be suffering, clip it. Hope you find a workable solution!