Nikon D60?

Purpley

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its $1200, but I am sure its cheaper elsewhere. Only just started looking.

If you search for it on google you can find some at about $700.

And I am sure I saw something the other day in junk mail that had it at about $1000 with two lenses.

Edited by Evolving

Its $1200, but I am sure its cheaper elsewhere. Only just started looking.

Depending on what type of 18-200 lens it is - eta: i.e. how fast, it could be a really good deal.

Have you looked up any reviews? Here's one from DPReview

Edited by ruffdiamond

I would say any of those D60-D90 are GREAT cameras. Easy to use and start off on. I absolutely love Nikon and think it's a great and never change. But I have found Canon to be a bit cheaper on price with lenses and cameras. Not sure why this is as both seem equally good. So I would def do some research into Canon as well. Good luck.

I bought a D60 just before christmas. It cost $1049 came with twin vr lenses. I am pleased with it so much faster than my point and shoot The only problem I have is I have to learn to use it properly instead of using auto all the time I am so enjoying it.

Under my Christmas tree was a d90 with the 55-200mm & 18-55mm lens kit. It is my first real camera....I love it. I am now saving for the 18-300mm lens as I am fussed with changing lenses also.... I have played with a eos450 and 50d, but liked the feel of the nikon. I recommend hands on and for me it was that personal preference that made my mind up. Both camera makes are great...I agree you could do a better price on the d60.

Wow, in terms of value, it's definitely worth getting - that lens stand alone would be at least $1100. eta: and it's a good lens too, pretty compact, if bulk or size is a concern for when carrying around.

Have you been in the shops to get a feel of the camera? In terms of camera quality and abilities, it definitely won't be lacking, so pretty much comes down to how you like it in your hand.

Edited by ruffdiamond

I have been told that the D40 is better even though it's an older model. I've also heard some really good reviews of the Pentax K200D which is similarly priced.

Check out these pages for info on the camera

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/

They are doing the D60 single lens kit for $649.95 & the twin lens kit for $849.95 at Teds Camera Warehouse.

Edited by ILuvAmstaffs

I bought a D60 just before christmas. It cost $1049 came with twin vr lenses. I am pleased with it so much faster than my point and shoot The only problem I have is I have to learn to use it properly instead of using auto all the time I am so enjoying it.

I got the same for around that same pirce. And ditto on the learning how to use it! ;)

I'd go with the D60 over the D40 for a number of reasons - including the Nikon AF lens compatability.

However, if you are only going to get one lens and have the dSLR, why are you getting the dSLR? The whole purpose is to get multiple lenses for different activities.

Although, if it is your first dSLR and you are going to increase your lens count, then the D60 with this lens is the best way to go!

BTW I have a D80 - which is another step up and quite reasonable - you can get it with the 18-200 for the same sort of price, and the improvements are well worth it. The D90 is another step up, but for the price different IMO isn't worth it!

Cameras are often pretty much the same, the important thing you need to look at is if it has the functions you want and it feels the best in your hands. Different people prefer different feels of body.

Good luck, and welcome to the confusing world of dSLR!

Andrew

I'd go with the D60 over the D40 for a number of reasons - including the Nikon AF lens compatability.

However, if you are only going to get one lens and have the dSLR, why are you getting the dSLR? The whole purpose is to get multiple lenses for different activities. ...

Not sure this is right Andrew - my understanding is that neither the D40 nor D60 will auto-focus with AF lenses. (But you can use them on either and only use manual focus). Neither the D40, D40x nor D60 have a focus motor: they use the motor in the lens to auto-focus - that is why they are low price for a Nikon.

So for auto-focus with both of them, you need an AF-S lens (not just an AF). It is a slight drawback although there are plenty of lenses in both Nikon and Sigma ranges with the AF-S feature - the focus motor is in the lens.

And for "why get a DSLR" if you do not intend to change lenses: there is a very good reason. All point-and-shoot cameras have severe shutter-lag. DSLR cameras do not. So for precise action shots, a DSLR is a necessity: you can get used to a point/shoot, predict the lag through practice and compensate, but they are no-where as accurate.

Not sure this is right Andrew - my understanding is that neither the D40 nor D60 will auto-focus with AF lenses. (But you can use them on either and only use manual focus). Neither the D40, D40x nor D60 have a focus motor: they use the motor in the lens to auto-focus - that is why they are low price for a Nikon.

I have heard the same which is why the person I was talking to recommended the Pentax K200D as another option.