Salmon Heads

huski

I also freeze whitebait into some ice and give it to him on a hot day - he goes absolutely nuts for them!

Mine all go nuts for frozen whitebait too. Lilly sticks her whole head into the bucket of water to catch any that have sunk to the bottom.

My aim was to keep them cool during the day and encourage them to drink lots of water, but the iceblocks rarely last any longer than 10 mins!

:rofl: My dogs must be weird - I gave them a salmon head the other day and they didn't eat it... dont' know whether it was because they had difficulty but they did look at me as if to say "what IS that thing looking at me"!?!?! :laugh::rofl:

Have frozen it and will try it again... otherwise I might try the whitebait/ mackerel!!!!

Edited by leopuppy04

my dogs ADORE fish but there's no decent fishmongers around my way, only Woolies :thumbsup: Oh, and one at Dora Crk but you never know when he's going to be in! So the substitute is tinned and they'll eat anything that comes their way! They had sardines last night and Sunny tipped the table over in excitement!

The first time I gave my dogs raw fish (it was mullet) they weren't too eager but they did eat it.

Now I give them frozen fish (most often salmon heads). They love them and eat them as eagerly as they eat their usual raw meaty bones.

Guest belgian.blue

Mum is going to the fish van today for our dinner so I've requested she ask about whiting/mackerel for Ivy.

Hopefully she gets some.

My brother works at a fish co-op and said they usually chuck the salmon heads away, so he now saves them for my doggies. He just sent mum down with a coles bag full of heads and assorted pieces for the pooches.

So yep, my guys love salmon. Harry has no problems with a whole head, but they tend to be too much in one hit for Lola (and she takes aaages to get that puggy mouth through them), so she gets the fins and spines.

Zero loves his fresh sadines! They're about $3 a kilo at my local fish shop so very cheap.

I also freeze whitebait into some ice and give it to him on a hot day - he goes absolutely nuts for them!

This sounds like a great idea - fish popsicles :laugh:

I've found the tins at both coles and wollies at chermside and toombul/nundah huski!

Got some from coles Chermside today in fact, also pink and red salmon.

Well I found one tin of mackeral at woolies yesterday! It was the woolies home brand (from Nundah!). I shared it between all four animals (including the cat). I gave it to Micha and Daisy with their chicken wings. All the animals loved it and responded really well to it, no runny poos or upset tummies today so I might try buying a tin a week. I put sardines in my BARF mix but the dogs don't have it every day and I think the extra fish will be good for them.

I will also keep my eye out for whole fresh sardines from the fish monger, will let you guys know how the dogs go if I find any :thumbsup:

Kat I've never given the dogs tinned salmon, but we eat it ourselves quite often :rofl::laugh: It always seems more expensive than mackeral or sardines?

Edited by huski

I have been reading this thread and both my two and the cats get Tuna, Salmon, Mackerel and Kippers in the can but would love to try some Salmon Heads and raw fish but first I have to ask a really silly question :):laugh:

Do they eat the eyes in the Salmon Head :rolleyes:

I have been reading this thread and both my two and the cats get Tuna, Salmon, Mackerel and Kippers in the can but would love to try some Salmon Heads and raw fish but first I have to ask a really silly question :rofl::rofl:

Do they eat the eyes in the Salmon Head :)

Yes they do, they eat everything with both the salmon heads and whole fish :rolleyes: the eyes only bother us humans. One of my labs dropped one of his salmon head on the lawn and it fell neck down with the head facing up and my boy was licking the salmon's lips, it looked like he was kissing the salmon, so funny, wish I had a camera at the ready :laugh:

Wow - I didn't realise that some fish that I thought were oily really aren't - opps :rolleyes: From this website most to least oily!

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/20...slifestagechart

What's an oily fish?

We've compiled a list to help you differentiate between types of oily and non-oily fish.

Oily / fatty fish

Salmon

Trout

Mackerel

Herring

Sardines

Pilchards

Kipper

Eel

Whitebait

Tuna (fresh only)

Anchovies

Swordfish

Bloater

Cacha

Carp

Hilsa

Jack fish

Katla

Orange roughy

Pangas

Sprats

White / non-oily fish

Cod

Haddock

Plaice

Coley

Whiting

Lemon sole

Skate

Halibut

Rock Salmon/Dogfish

Ayr

Catfish

Dover sole

Flounder

Flying fish

Hake

Hoki

John Dory

Kalabasu

Ling

Monkfish

Parrot fish

Pollack

Pomfret

Red and grey mullet

Red fish

Red Snapper

Rohu

Sea bass

Sea bream

Shark

Tilapia

Turbot

Tinned tuna

Marlin

• 1 month later...

We get the tinned Makerel in oil. I've always fed the whole contents including the oil, but sometimes I wonder if the oil is good for them or not. Does anyone know? I avoid feeding fat to my dog, but I am hoping the oil with the Makerel is good oil.