Potty Mouth

wish_4_cockerspaniel

Its normal unfortunately, and you'll eventually get over the shock. I've never had a dog eat their own, but many people have. If possible, pick it up before they get a chance to eat it. I also heard

that if you give them pineapple, they won't eat it, someone else may confirm this for me. :D

Not every pup do's this and its certainly not desirable behaviour.I would look at the dog's diet,is the dog bored?how much space do's the dog have?

Yes Pineapple do's seem to work. This behaviour can also be learnt behaviour. Tony

Some dogs recycle- some don't.

Dogs see things very differently to us humans- remember, they sniff bums, and eat rotten meat, too :laugh:

often, what is fed to a pup has so much flavouring, etc that it still smells like food after being excreted :thumbsup:.

Check the diet, and make sure you pick up as often as possible.

Ensure the pup has plenty of good big bones and kongs to chew/eat.

And the one biggy - don't make a great big fuss about it. Pups just looooooooove attention, good or bad who cares.

Pineapple works because it helps with digestion of meat (mainly), so maybe he's a bit off colour or been fed something new he can't quite digest fully so thought 'why waste it'

Just another thing to think about, some of the poorer quality dog foods available have a lot of fillers and so a lot can go through undigested and this can sometimes be part of the reason this behaviour starts. So maybe look at what you are feeding as well as trying the pineapple.

Copraphagia is the technical term and it is extremely normal for some dogs to do this.

The act of copraphagia derives from their ancestors, not the wolf but their more recent ancestors, the village (or proto) dog who were scavengers and would consume faeces found around rubbish dumps in early human settlements.

You could give the pineapple a try but it is best to try and break the habit by not allowing him to practice it...remove all faeces as soon as you see it.

Some say a change of diet can work but I think once a poo eater, always a poo eater, albeit it subsides.

Guest belgian.blue

When I get dog #2 I will be feeding pineapple as Ivy is a sometimes poop eater.

Shame you can't feed pineapple to the cat!

I am attempting to remain vigilant and remove offending poo immediately! He likes the pineapple though - makes a nice treat for him whether it works or not! Thanks for all the advice.

Our dog wasnt a pup when we got home but we did notice that he was a poo eater. We had been told to feed him once a day but when this started the vet suggested feeding him twice a day. Since we did this he hasnt eaten it at all. We also installed a dog door at the same time so perhaps it was partly boredom as others suggested and the outdoors gave him something else to think about.

Our little monster just does it cause he can. He is selective though - it has to be fresh, and he generally won't eat his own (he has some standards) :)

They are fed a great diet, have lots of things to keep them occupied - he just likes to do it. He will rush straight out and wait for one of the others to go. It made him sick a couple of weeks ago though when one of them came down with something and did a less than desirable poo. He threw up for a good hour afterwards.

I have the pineapple in the cupboard ready to give it a go.