Flaxseed Or Omega Oils

Lemonlime

I am currently giving 4 dogs the Vets All Natural Flaxseed Oil and one 500ml bottle is lasting me 10 days IF im lucky. I just give roughly a slirp in each meal.

Is there a cheaper was to buy either Flaxseed oil or Omega oil, the brand doesnt matter. I found VAN the cheapest but this is turning out to be a very expensive exercise at about $25 a bottle depending on how cheap I can get it!

Thanks guys

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, boy - I hope someone comes up with a great idea here, I want to know the same!!

Failing that - I buy whole linseed (cheap @ $2 500g) from Coles; with each batch of dog food I make up (a week's worth, with one third going straight into the freezer, to keep it fresh for feeding at the end of the week) I grind a cupful up (I have a slender blender which does a good job, I put the seed into a clean, tall glass jar and process it with a cloth wrapped around the top to stop the seed flying out) and put that into the mix.

Linseed IS Flaxseed, although if anyone tells me different I am prepared to accept I may wrong :thumbsup:

Omega oils... *sigh* in a form that is environmentally friendly - yes please! Other than that, I feed cheap tinned sardines/mackeral or fresh sardines chopped through the mix...

Well Ness has convinced me to try Fish Oil capsules even though im sure I will regret it when the dogs spit them back at me like last time :thumbsup:

I found these http://epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=489...mg+Capsules+400

You get 400 capsules for $16.99 which is great.

I would still prefer an oil but after calling my pharmacy, I found out that the human and dog oil is priced the same.

Edited by bcgsd

You can buy linseed oil from animal produce stores & it is much cheaper than flax seed oil. Yes it is the same plant! Value Plus have raw linseed oil in a range of sizes, I can buy a litre bottle for about $14.

The danger of fish oil is that it is rich in vitamin A which can be easily overdosed.

I buy Thompsons Organic Flax Seed Oil capsules (1000mg).

Yes the bottle I have says Linseed Oil is Flax seed Oil and it is rich in Omega 3, 6 and 9.

I buy them from Oze Pharmacy (in store) 400 capsules for about $35. I cant find them on Oze's website but I found this site which has bottles of 200 for about $25. https://www.vitaminking.com.au/flaxseed-oil...on-limited.html

Cheaper if you can get to an Oze store their web site is http://ozepharmacy.com.au

Using the oils is very expensive for more than one dog and the flax seed has all the omega oils in one dose.

cheers

I get oils to add to my dogs diet from Greenpet.

They offer fast postage and very reasonable prices plus a small additional cost

for postage still makes it worth using them.

The flaxseed comes down to

$18 per litre if you buy 10 Litres

$22 per litre if you buy 5 Litres

$33 per litre if you only want 1 Litre

http://www.greenpet.com.au/pet-shop/cart.p...;category_id=76

I prefer the Omega Plus Oil as it gives a good blend of essential oils.

This company also has lots of other supplements and natural therapies and remedies as well.

I hope this helps.

Edited by tyra20007

My vet recommended me to try a product called "Performa 3".

It is a blend of Omega 3, 6 and 9.

You can buy it from any produce store for a bit less than $40.00 for 5 litres.

At $8.00 per litre, this is by far the cheapest product I have found for use with my 6 dogs.

It is made for use with horses, so dosage rates for dogs are not listed on the container.

My vet. recommended 10ml per day for our dogs, which are GSD's.

I began using it because I had a dog that I could not get a good coat on. This dog now has a wonderful coat. Because it is affordable, I can give it to all my dogs every day. People often remark on how nice my dogs' coats are.

As you have found, other products are very expensive if you have multiple dogs.

I would recommend you give this a try. I am more than happy with the results I have with my dogs.

Julie

I use this one, which has Omega 3, 6 and 9. it comes in a 200ml pump pack and also a liter bottle. ($10 & $40)

I shopped around quite a bit and found this was the cheaper alternative to supplying your dog with all of the appropriate oils.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=160306616845

It must tastes okay too, I just squirt it onto his food each day with no problems.

If you look at the link I posted, view the sellers other items because he also has some of the cheapest flea/worming products I have found online.

Edited by disorder

Well Ness has convinced me to try Fish Oil capsules even though im sure I will regret it when the dogs spit them back at me like last time :laugh:

Kei wont swallow the capsules either so I pierce them with one of those splinter picker needle things and squeeze the oil out into the food (dont try to cut them with the scissors though cos you get squirted in the face :laugh: )

I have seen the fish oil in liquid form at the chemist too which might be easier. From memory it's about $22 for a 250ml bottle.

I also get the Melrose brand flax seed oil from the chemist costing $10 for 250ml.

My vet recommended me to try a product called "Performa 3".

It is a blend of Omega 3, 6 and 9.

You can buy it from any produce store for a bit less than $40.00 for 5 litres.

At $8.00 per litre, this is by far the cheapest product I have found for use with my 6 dogs.

It is made for use with horses, so dosage rates for dogs are not listed on the container.

My vet. recommended 10ml per day for our dogs, which are GSD's.

I began using it because I had a dog that I could not get a good coat on. This dog now has a wonderful coat. Because it is affordable, I can give it to all my dogs every day. People often remark on how nice my dogs' coats are.

As you have found, other products are very expensive if you have multiple dogs.

I would recommend you give this a try. I am more than happy with the results I have with my dogs.

Julie

Thank you for your post - I have been able to source this close to home! What an excellent price! God damn I have been paying $33 of 500mls :laugh:

Omega oils... *sigh* in a form that is environmentally friendly - yes please! Other than that, I feed cheap tinned sardines/mackeral or fresh sardines chopped through the mix...

Not sure what you mean by environmentally friendly? Cenovis do an "eco fish oil" which from memory is meant to be environmentally friendly, in regards to fishing methods. It is also available at Chemist Warehouse, but more expensive than other fish oils.

Cenovis website - eco fish oil

Linky

I have been buying Hi Potency Flaxseed Oil capsules 1200mg 200 capsules from the health food shop - they are on special until the end of February?? usually $49.95 down to $14.95 :laugh: hence I brought a few tubs :laugh:

You might also want to have a look at Chemist Warehouse (no, I don't work for them!) - they sell 1000mg compared to 1200mg, but might be worth a look for prices.

link

Another Performa Oil user here :D . I think it is far superior to anything else. And I think I have tried almost everything :( !!

Value is not an issue for me, quality is, it just happens that horse products are often cheaper and better quality than products aimed at the pet market. Other than that Yes Linseed/Flaxseed oil is also good and priced well at stockfeed places.

I never found human capsules to be much chop, but thats not to say others dont benefit from it.

I have just started my guys on flaxseed oil about 2 weeks ago, (from the health food store and kept in the fridge) How long did it take for you guys using it to see an improvement in the coat? both of my guys have okay coats, but I am really trying to shine up a red coat on an Amstaff which apparently is impossible to do, but I'm determined to try!! The rest of their diet is Barf based, with greenpet supplements. Overall they are in good health but I want that shiney red coat before the specialty in April LOL if any one else has suggestions for a red staffy type coat I'm all ears LOL

Hi MellG - I had a yukky coat problem with my Dobe after she had puppies and I got the following advice off an Amstaff breeder/showie.

Meat (I used chicken- but whatever you normally give)

Sardines

VAM Paste (Horse/Produce stores)

Nutrigel.

I went from a dog with hardly any coat to a dog with a short coat, but very healthy and shiney within 2 weeks.

Edited by rommimum