Ideas For Experience

I need ideas on getting experience with dogs!

I contacted our local shelter, but they have a "full qualified trainer & behaviourist" but they're still going to see if they can offer me anything. They were worried our methods could clash but I'm happy to have their trainer instruct me on her methods and only perform those.

We only have one obedience club in our area, I'll contact them tomorrow. But does anyone have any other ideas on how I could obtain experience?

Edited by Just Midol

Volunteer at your local shelter or pound. This will give you good experience handling various different dogs, although you may not be actually training them.

The best experience is handle as many dogs as possible, with all types of personalities, problems and experience. Dog walking perhaps with the added bonus of a training session??

I don't know much about competitive dog events but I go to dressage competitions and pencil for the judge as a really good learning tool (pencilling is where you write down the judges comments as they watch the horse). While it's not hands-on experience it is a very good perspective to learn from other people's mistakes as well as their acheivements, particularly from a competitive standpoint it's really useful information. Fence-sitting at clinics is another really good way to pick up lots of cheap info and get an insight into how to handle different horses (or dogs as the case may be), you get to see a lot of behaviours you wouldn't see with your own animals and get a good perspective on the behaviour of both the animal and the handler. I find that I am able to get heaps of information just from watching others being taught, or being judged! Hope that helps :thumbsup:

I need ideas on getting experience with dogs!

I contacted our local shelter, but they have a "full qualified trainer & behaviourist" but they're still going to see if they can offer me anything. They were worried our methods could clash but I'm happy to have their trainer instruct me on her methods and only perform those.

We only have one obedience club in our area, I'll contact them tomorrow. But does anyone have any other ideas on how I could obtain experience?

lol if you were in vic

I'd be glad to have someone exercise/train two of mine that would benefit form outside time.

perhaps contact some breeders in your area?

Go to a show or a trial and find people that might need help in kennels etc.

Contact groomers and offer help. Same with doggy daycare places.

Contact vets that offer puppy preschool.

Become a volounteer obedience instructor at the club.

Edited by MonElite

The dog daycare I worked at was great for experience! Especially reading body language and seeing how dogs act in a group. Also did some prey drive work with the dogs that had good prey drive (there was a lovely Lab who would have been a great detector dog I think!).

Let's look at the choices, depending on your availabilty and their observer criteria.

(1) Guide dogs for the visually impaired.

(2) Customs.

(3) Police dogs and their wide range of requirements.

(4) Search and Rescue - Gotta to the SARDA!!!!!

(5) Retrieving/field trials

(6) Pound dogs.. rejects, for whatever reason.