Preventing Resource Guarding

What steps does everyone here take to prevent resource guarding of food?

Not from other dogs, but from humans. The obedience club that I'm looking at volunteering with recommends students/clients/whatevers that you should take the dogs food off them very often.

I disagree with such an approach, I feel it might work with many dogs but I believe it can make guarding even worse in some dogs.

This is actually one of their pointers on establishing leadership. Funnily enough, being a huge supporter of dominance and pack rank theories I disagree with almost everything they have listed in that section but it's their club. Actually, tbh, I disagree with most of the ways they teach behaviours as well but I must do what they say.

Taking their food often equates to teasing and you'd likely end up bitten, I would think.

I have not really thought about preventing resource guarding but I do strive to be a good leader to the pack and I know I can take food out of their mouths if I want/need to. We have an elderly Lhasa Apso and Benson occasionally takes her treats, and I very smartly take it out of his mouth and give it back to her. Sometimes to the point of reaching into his throat to grab it before he swallows it.

He lets me do it, I'm sure he's not happy about it but he's never growled at me, just looked disappointed that he didn't get to finish the treat.

So.....my theory (and I could be way off the mark), is that as a good pack leader, you *could* take the food if you wanted to, but it doesn't mean you have to do it. Therefore you don't have to "prevent" resource guarding so much as gain your dogs absolute trust and respect as his leader.

Apparently the "new" theory with resource guarding is not to remove food, but frequently approach the dog whilst eating and place something of either greater value in their bowl. This is meant for the dogs to see approach=yummy stuff, so if they do get approached whilst eating, they are less likely to guard as they are expecting something good.

I threw away the bowl. Zig gets most of his food through training or, if one of us are too tired, he gets it in a treat cube. Originally it was purely for training purposes and to tire him out mentally but it has had a dual effect. I never take food off him unless it's necessary (and I can reach into his mouth without a second thought). If I had to take his beloved chicken frame from him (or something equally high value) I would ask him to 'give' - a lot of our games are based on 'give' so this is pretty automatic and he knows he gets the toy/food back (or something better) as a reward for giving. He works hard for his food and deserves to be left in peace to eat it :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I used the method described earlier, adding something yummy to the bowl and also divided the same amount of food over four bowls and this slowed her down. She couldn't guard all four. My pup was not at the stage of biting she would be tense over her bowl and rush her eating when aproached and given a pat.

This really did slow her down and she is no longer tense over her food and I now take things away when I need/want to. In fact my daughter complains now she is so slow and the last of the 3 to finish. :D

Worked for us.

My club advises to put something yummier in the bowl. I wouldn't do that is the dog was actually growling at the time though.

Can't say what I did the last time one of my dogs growled at me in regards to food but it wasn't very positive :D :)

The TOT and NILF stuff tends to put a stop to any of that sort of behavior I find.

Edited by JulesP

Apparently the "new" theory with resource guarding is not to remove food, but frequently approach the dog whilst eating and place something of either greater value in their bowl. This is meant for the dogs to see approach=yummy stuff, so if they do get approached whilst eating, they are less likely to guard as they are expecting something good.

I used this method with my goldie who was food aggressive as a pup. Worked wonders. When I take away half eaten bones, I give them yummy treats instead. I also handfeed them every once in a while, pet them while they are eating. Don't have any food aggression issues at all.

I have not actively worked to do anything to prevent it as, in my opinion, if my pooch sees me as the leader/pack leader then resource guarding shouldn't even become an issue.

I am really strict with her not entering doorways before me or unless invited, not jumping on the couches unless I invite her to, her walking beside or behind me and the pram, and all that sort of jazz. She is an amazing pup and extremely well behaved. We have also taught a strict "leave it" command so that if she is eating at any time I can tell her to leave it and she will sit and look to me, I can take her food if necessary but I really don't need to and don't do it a lot.

I quite like the idea of adding better things in to their bowl theory. Will keep that in mind if ever needed though I hope it won't be lol.

I have not actively worked to do anything to prevent it as, in my opinion, if my pooch sees me as the leader/pack leader then resource guarding shouldn't even become an issue.

That is true, if you are seen as leader then it shouldn't be an issue.

However, when new dogs come to into the house then these leadership issues are still being established.

In our situation, new pup with 2 adult dogs who are also incredibly well behaved. Pup came from being fed with all the other pups and it was get what you can. She needed to learn to slow down and realise you can eat and not watch over your shoulder that another dog is not coming to get some.

We now have a 7 month old that is the slowest of the 3 and even eats sitting down occasionally. She will not eat until given the command, this is the same with my 11 and 8 children also. ( we make them wait because watching the dribble performance is very funny)

We worked on it early so it did not become major and she knew what was expected.

The TOT and NILF stuff tends to put a stop to any of that sort of behavior I find.

Yep this is all I've done, worked to make sure the dogs learn that food is a resource I control. I let them eat in peace, too.

I have never used the technique of taking food from them each meal time or generally harassing them, and my dogs have no problem relinquishing food to me.

I have also heard of the technique where if the dog has something, you say 'give' and 'trade' what they have with a more high value treat.

Yep this is all I've done, worked to make sure the dogs learn that food is a resource I control. I let them eat in peace, too.

I have never used the technique of taking food from them each meal time or generally harassing them, and my dogs have no problem relinquishing food to me.

I have also heard of the technique where if the dog has something, you say 'give' and 'trade' what they have with a more high value treat.

Meant to ask earlier, can some explain TOT and NILF please.

ta