Old Dogs And Changing Their Living Conditions.

Hi all,

Just need some advice regarding a dog at my husband's work.

His name is Boafhead and was rescued as a rotti x when he was about 18 months old to be a guard dog back in 1996. Since then he has lived at my husbands work. My husband started working there about 3 years ago and when we first arrived he was not in good condition. But we made some changes to his diet and started taking him for walks and my husband also takes our dogs to work which seemed to make him better. Until the last couple of months I noticed he started losing weight.

Anyway our plan all along was eventually bring him home to our house and let him retire. We are finally in a situation where we are comfortable to do that but hadn't yet, but because of the cyclone warning we brought him to our house. Since he has been here he has gone off his food slightly and he looks like he is constantly trying to go to the toilet (wee) but not alot or nothing comes out. He is also been drinking alot of water. Also he has big lump in the gland behind his ear.

We are going to take him to the vet and realise it is not probably not going to be good news, but what I really wanted advice on is what do people think about the trying to wee all the time and whether it would be better for him to live at our home or stay at my husbands work for his final days.

Sorry if the post is a bit long but I wanted to tell people his history as we don't want to add to his health demise by stressing him out.

Thanks

Amanda.

I'm so glad for this poor boy that he has a proper home.

I've rescued old dogs from the pound, several were aged around 14. They have all settled in with me and my own dogs as if they've been here for years.

No matter what a dog's age, there is an adjustment period for the dog and you. For the dog, I find it's generally about 2 weeks.

Try giving him some Rescue Remedy in drop form, available from the chemist and harmless to dogs, you can give him a few drops every couple of hours. It's made to help with anxiety and I use it with every new dog I get (I've fostered over 50 in the last four years). Start up your routine and stick to it, try to resist the temptation initially of making up for all those previous years by taking the dog to many different places etc. Let them settle for 2 weeks and introduce new things gradually - this is best practice for dogs of any age.

As for his health issues, I'd certainly be worried. Every time I get a new dog, the vet is our first port of call. His symptoms sound like they need checking asap as if something can be done for a problem, it's always best done asap.

Thank you for having big hearts and I wish him many happy and healthy years in your loving home.

poor old darling :) here's trusting his health issues are treatable

Imo ,he should be where he is most comfortable ,& spend his twilight years knowing he is loved.

As has already been said ,he will ajust to the good life im sure ,given a couple of weeks .

Will your other dogs except him though?

Thanks guys for your responses. It does give me more confidence to keep him here. My dogs are fine with him as they both have been to my husbands work through the day over the last three years. They have shown signs that they are boss here, where as at work it was never an issue. But Boafhead doesn't care and just does his own thing.

I noticed last night the must have lost some control of his bladder but I have booked him into the vet on Thursday and hopefully I can find out how bad he is medically. On top of all this he is going slightly blind but he seems to be finding his way around ok for now. I think it is mainly night blindness.

his stress is probably more from the fact he is ill - I would keep him at home where he is more likely to get supervision, care and veterinary treatment then required. If he is very ill at least there is someone around and other dogs to keep him company in his final days.

yard dog or not why is the boss allowing a dog to deteriorate to that level? To not provide medical attention to an animal is an offence.

Poor boy. Keep him at home with you. Dogs know when they are in a good place.

Try and get a sample of his urine before you go to the vets so that they can test it for UTI.

I am fearing cancer when you say he has started losing weight and is a Rottie X.

Edited by puggy_puggy

Besides the peeing problem, Boafhead's behaviour has not really changed that much and I don't think at work they would notice him trying to pee all the time. I've only noticed it because at the moment I am at home all the time and I take more notice I think of dogs behaviour than most people. And when I said he has lost weight I made them cut back his food originally because he was a bit overweight and at the moment he is probably not even underweight but he has lost some lately, enough to notice anyway after not seeing him for a month or two. And I have only noticed the loss of bladder control as he is allowed inside until I go to bed and he has been leaving puddles on the floor.

I know he should of probably been taken to the vet earlier but I don't think they thought anything was wrong as I had to point out the peeing problem to my husband and he has always had is yearly check up.

Amanda.

Unfortunately we don't have any wolfies yet. They are definately going to be our next dog. At the moment we have a wolfie x, she has the attitude but she is about the size of a cattle dog.

In regards to Boafhead he is already a bit more settled and ate everything last night. Hopefully when we take him to the vet this afternoon the news isn't too bad.

Its very kind that you have taken this dog under your wing. I would suggest taking him to the vet, get him checked over and taking their advice on how Boafhead should spend his final days/month/years. Good on you and your husband for caring!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :laugh:

We took Boafhead to the vet this afternoon, and the vet checked him over and he said everything was related to old age. The lumps behind his head were just bone, :love: , which he said he has just loss some muscle mass, which is why it is more prominent now. He is going back next week to get his teeth done, and he also got a quaterzone injections to make him feel a bit better. As the vet said he probably doesn't have long but he is healthy enough.

I just have one more question, what do people do with dogs that have loss bladder control if you want them inside sometimes. As I have said before he is inside during the day, but he pretty much comes in and lays down, so I thought if I could get him something he can lay on that would be comfortable and that I could wash. Thanks for any suggestions.

Amanda.

:love: Good to hear it is only old age !

you can buy mats that are waterproof for dogs,just hose them off, or a fleecy blanket that washes & drys easily .

Hope he & you enjoy ,his twilight years,good on you for making them in a loving home :laugh:

Great news for you and the old fella.

Sounds like he has found a woonderful home to keep warm and get lots of loving!!

My old dog Sammy used to have slight urinary incontinance. She would dribble a little when sleeping. My vet gave us medication for it which stopped it immediately but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Maybe ask your vet during his next check up.

Otherwise I had plenty of covers for her bed which we changed frequently as she was an inside dog. We also had tiles so it wasn't a major drama.

Good luck with your new edition. He sounds like a gorgeous old man.

Medication might have been Stilboestral (sp). Know it's used for incontinent bitches, but is it effective for males?

If he tends to stay on his bed, either have a waterproof cover and several fleecy blankets that you can rotate whilst washing, or maybe use a cut down folded washable quilt instead of the bed. Bianca had a couple of episodes of weeing on my bed, so now I put a plastic sheet over her half of the bed, then an absorbant blanket of some sort, then my old doona cover over the top. She can't feel the plastic thru all the padding and I know that if she has an accident, my good doona won't get wet (but it hasn't happened since thank dogness).