Clicker Seminar

which one Ed or Molly (Sundy or Satdy :rofl:)

Ed is such a DUDE! I'm in love ... Anita did you drive or plane? wow I found it hard enough back to Geelong :rofl:

Saturday staffy! Another breed I don't usually pay much attention to but his beautiful froggy smile and energy won me over.

I drove, I wanted to have the car to get out to Endeavour Hills from Hotel Mum, which is in Viewbank. Plus OH was stimulated by Kevin last week and bought a sat nav with some of the money. We put Ozzy on it so driving was a good opportunity for me to giggle inanely at "go through the f***ing roundabout, second exit" about 30 times.

I think I'm a bit hardened to driving as we drive to Sydney and Melbourne each year for conformation specialities. One upside of not having a dog in the car is being able to pump up the stereo so I got home today by rocking to the oldies. Only problem is that it it tricky to keep to the speed limit while playing Judas Priest. :rofl:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nekhbet,

Thanks for the reponse. Maybe he needs a jock strap!!!

I am continuing my journal.

Does anyone remember my question, regarding her response to puppies picking up articles before the clicker trained retrieve? I admit her reply confused me.

Edited: Spelling.

Edited by Lablover

you mean picking up random items? I think I have a video of that!

she said it was fine to play with the dogs if you bring them random items BUT the actual items you will use in the trial you never play with ie - she attaches no drive to them. she will do specific work with dumbels etc but random items, toys you just play as you would with a pup. She also would never allow the dog to HAVE the competition items in the first place unless you are training.

Edited by Nekhbet

you mean picking up random items? I think I have a video of that!

she said it was fine to play with the dogs if you bring them random items BUT the actual items you will use in the trial you never play with ie - she attaches no drive to them. she will do specific work with dumbels etc but random items, toys you just play as you would with a pup. She also would never allow the dog to HAVE the competition items in the first place unless you are training.

OK, got it, she attaches no value. My dogs have no toys for example, but one particular lab if stressed will obsessively chase his food bowl. FOR HOURS!!! Interesting.

Thankyou.

Edited by Lablover

so how do they get the stress out LL? or is there no toys so they dont scuffle?

Not " they "THANK GOODNESS, one........he. This dog was sent to the US to see if he could make it, in their retriever games, but returned due to poor responses to pressure/correction/compulsion/negative reinforcement/punishment - whatever you want to call it LOL. I used to blame his stress levels to his American experiences, but in truth, he does have panic responses.

I used to nearly bite off my tongue, to stop frustration with him. Frankly as he has had problems, he has taught me....a lot. The bad dogs do teach more than the good!!!

Interesting, he has not picked up his food bowl once today. Significance???

Back to our normal program tomorrow. Retrieving training. Ummmm...maybe one more day pondering how to marry up clicker to retrieving requirements. Should be so easy LOL.

ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa gotcha on that one ... hmmm maybe the clicker is simply helping him channel his inner retriever? Enhance his inner peace?

meanwhile my mastiff's eyes are popping out of his head and he's behaving like an over grown staffy to get a click for something *sigh*

stay tuned for another episode of the mad house :laugh:

Tomorrow morning I will video him....as I am sure due to his past experiences, he will revert to his poorer than ideal behavior. I will retape through the day. Might be interesting.........though probably NOT to anyone else LOL.

actually was a bit of both, getting a tighter performance from what you have or starting things like the dumbell from scratch

She does a lot of shaping but the click always means end of exercise. She also chains a lot and wont NRM - move on, as soon as the dog makes a mistake she stops and starts the whole thing again from the start. She pretty much drills the dog they only get any type of reward when the sequence is correct (in a trained dog)

Also big on NO offlead work and minimising error in your training. Also not using anything but food/tug as reward never using say a dumbell as a prey item.

LL I find everything interesting particularly what you do with your dogs I think its amazing!

Edited by Nekhbet

which one Ed or Molly (Sundy or Satdy :wave:)

Ed is such a DUDE! I'm in love ... Anita did you drive or plane? wow I found it hard enough back to Geelong :rofl:

Saturday staffy! Another breed I don't usually pay much attention to but his beautiful froggy smile and energy won me over.

lol So we have a Satdy lover and a Sundy lover, thats good cos at least neither of them will get upset!

Anita, I didnt realise who you were while you were there, but I know now :laugh: Sorry!

actually was a bit of both, getting a tighter performance from what you have or starting things like the dumbell from scratch

She does a lot of shaping but the click always means end of exercise. She also chains a lot and wont NRM - move on, as soon as the dog makes a mistake she stops and starts the whole thing again from the start. She pretty much drills the dog they only get any type of reward when the sequence is correct (in a trained dog)

Also big on NO offlead work and minimising error in your training. Also not using anything but food/tug as reward never using say a dumbell as a prey item.

LL I find everything interesting particularly what you do with your dogs I think its amazing!

FWIW - she does NRM - but only once a dog knows the exercise.

The actual pre-prepared part of the seminar was basic clicker stuff - but the hands on sessions were tailored to each specific dog.

Some dogs were beginners to clickers and so those particular sessions focused on basic shaping skills.

Some dogs were more advanced so specific problems were addressed in Uta's particular style.

It is fun...apart from the problem dog who suffers from poor water entries (on hidden retrieves not marks). My journal has some ideas on that!!!

Anita, I didnt realise who you were while you were there, but I know now :laugh: Sorry!

Ditto from me. Wish you'd tapped me on the shoulder to let me know it was you. Unless you didn't know it was me. If you know what I mean :wave:.

So she doesn't use the clicker as an event marker? If she uses the click to signify the end of the exercise (like a release cue), then what does she use as a bridge (if any)?

Did she say why she chooses to use the click to signify the end and how does this differ (better) than using the click to mark the progressive or correct behaviours?

Sorry for the 20 questions....I wish I could've gone but there was no way I was going to get there.

So she doesn't use the clicker as an event marker? If she uses the click to signify the end of the exercise (like a release cue), then what does she use as a bridge (if any)?

Did she say why she chooses to use the click to signify the end and how does this differ (better) than using the click to mark the progressive or correct behaviours?

Sorry for the 20 questions....I wish I could've gone but there was no way I was going to get there.

It's both - it's a marker and release.

Some clicker trainers use the clicker purely as a marker and then follow up with a release command - for others it also means end of exercise.

For example - if she's training a sit - once the dog sits, she clicks - the dog is now free to move (to get it's reward for example).

She also uses a release command as well - just not when she's using the clicker - that's the impression I got.

Edited by Luke W

Ditto from me. Wish you'd tapped me on the shoulder to let me know it was you. Unless you didn't know it was me. If you know what I mean :wave:.

I didn't know it was you. Unless the person's name is their DOL identity or I recognise the dog I am not one for barrelling up to strangers and saying "Are you from DOL?!" :rofl:

I recognised Nekhbet because of her Dogue - hard to miss a Dogue! So I recognised LukeW once he had Barkly out but he always seemed to be busy!! Sorry shoemonster, I had no idea you were shoemonster! Erny was that you with the ridgie? I wondered but wasn't sure - for some reason I thought Mandala wasn't a ridgie, no idea why. It was only when I got back to this thread that I realised I'd been talking to lablover over the weekend too!

I figure as my name is my DOL identity I'm a safer bet to approach, but w/out a Saluki I'm probably hard to spot too.