Sardines Every Other Day?

Guest Willow

they love them, i usually buy a HEAP of cans every few months, checkout chics must think i have a problem :)

:laugh: :cool: Yes I always have to tell the checkout lady that they are for my dogs.

Perhaps this is a really dumb question but do you remove the bones before you give sardines to your dogs?

Um you would have a hard time trying to get the bones out as they are very soft and squishy.

i feed "sardines" all the time but if you research these tinned "sardines" you will find they are not sardines but other fish, forget what it is usually is but sardine is what there called becasue of how there packed and sold in tins.

Ohh the ones I feed sure as hell look and smell like sardines.

My dogs get a whole tin each about twice a week, dumped on their kibble. They love their little fishies.

Same here too - I get the no name ones from Woolworths and they come in packs of 3 - works out quite reasonable.

Guest Willow

Goodness me 4pups!!! I htink you need to let us in on what else you are doing !!! Obviously whatever it is it's working!!!

Edited by Willow

Sardines are the best choice in canned fish because of the Omega-3s they supply, and because they don’t have the heavy load of contaminants carried by larger fish. I give my dog Brunswik brand, sardines in water without salt or flavour added. Sardines in olive oil are good too, but the extra calories they add must be considered in the total diet. Any of you notice that your dog(s) have beautiful shiny coat from feeding sardines?

My dogs get a whole tin each about twice a week, dumped on their kibble. They love their little fishies.

Same here too - I get the no name ones from Woolworths and they come in packs of 3 - works out quite reasonable.

I feed these ones. I buy a whole box at a time. Very economical.

Me too, I also buy the woolies brand tins of mackeral.

Yes, I get them, too, although I don't feed it too often. Generally when there's no sardines left. I also get the sardine in oil when there's no springwater ones left but I ditch the oil since it's just vege oil and run water through it instead.

Yes, I get them, too, although I don't feed it too often. Generally when there's no sardines left. I also get the sardine in oil when there's no springwater ones left but I ditch the oil since it's just vege oil and run water through it instead.

I've only ever seen the vegie oil ones. I normally pour the oil over Cherry's and Shandi's dried food (Cherry gets a tin of sardines once a week or so too).

Edited by huski

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up canned sardines in springwater from Woolworths last week. However, on reading the ingredients, I noticed it contains salt. Is that ok for dogs?

I picked up canned sardines in springwater from Woolworths last week. However, on reading the ingredients, I noticed it contains salt. Is that ok for dogs?

There's salt in everything, mostly naturally occurring. If it doesn't say 'added salt' then I think labelling is such that it's naturally occurring.