Herding Ht

Had to decide between 2009 brags thread or Herding Ht, because I want to have the biggest brag about Izzi at yesterdays training sesion, lucky you I picked this one :) .

We had another training sesion yesterday to get ready for the trial in 2 weeks, I know it's only an instinct test but don't want to go in nervous & without a clue what to do. Izzi was the star, she worked great despite me not because of me, the instructor said she wanted Izzi for herself & that she's a natural caster. We started in a small yard just moving the sheep around then into the big yard doing PT work, we were going to leave Izzi on the long line for a while but her let off & she went straight out to cast & no matter where I walked Izzi kept the sheep behind me, the 6 & 12 position I think but correct me if I use the wrong words :), if you've kept reading this you will have guessed I'm soooo proud of my little girl :). Now for Pebbles, yeah sorry there's more :(, she did very well too & we did the same in the small yard then out, I have to watch & work more with her because she'll split the sheep & runs around a bit but she's getting a lot better. Pebbles even got to yard the sheep & considering it's her first time did very well & I've even started putting comands to actions, our home work this time is teaching "walk up". I've even improved from last time, the instructor didn't want to hit me :), Bill videoed us so I can watch & see what I need to fix, about me not the dog's. Now for a question, how do I find out what trails are on & where in Victoria, we'd probably go to any that aren't to far over the border. Oh & by the way I LOVE MY DOGS or did you already get that :).

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah! Sounds good! :thumbsup:

What comp are you going to??

Mine is next week, yikes. I am just doing an instinct test too.

I am on the Yahoo herding list, that has quite a lot of stuff advertised. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/vicherding/ Dog Vic also has trials listed.

Our's is on the 2nd of May at SACA Park, we're only doing sheep at the moment, I think Izzi would be ok on ducks but not sure about Pebbles. I'll have to get onto the Yahoo herding list, thanks for the link & good luck for next week, want to hear all about it with photo's or video :laugh:

Congratulations Dova. I don't know how far you want to travel over the border but there are training days at Landsborough (near Ararat, Vic) every two months. There are details in The Working Kelpie Council News Bulletin http://www.wkc.org.au/ Just go to the main page and scroll down to Advance notice of trials and training days.

There is also a yard dog trial being held at Gringegalgona near Coleraine on May 9 & 10.

Thanks for that 4Kelpies I'll have a look at that as soon as I've finished here, I've just been looking at the www.workingdogcentre.com site & I'm going to try to get to one of their schools, unfortunately this one is on the 2nd & 3rd of May, they sound great.

That's bad timing. The next training day at Landsborough is also on May 3. It sounds as though everyone has chosen that date. And then there will be weeks and weeks with nothing on offer.

I've heard that Ben and Lyn Page run good schools. Hopefully there will be another one before too long and it won't be the first weekend in July when the next Landsborough training day is being held.

Our trial was today and passed her HIC & 2 HTs! So HT title!! :p She was a good girl, she is much better at it then me, rofl. Only had one stuck in the corner moment and I ended up sending her around the other way which got her moving.

Lots of training needed before I do PT!

She really loves it! The weather was quite nasty but at the finish she was still trying to get in the pen with the sheep!!

Our trial was today and passed her HIC & 2 HTs! So HT title!! :) She was a good girl, she is much better at it then me, rofl. Only had one stuck in the corner moment and I ended up sending her around the other way which got her moving.

Lots of training needed before I do PT!

She really loves it! The weather was quite nasty but at the finish she was still trying to get in the pen with the sheep!!

WOOHOO, congrats JulesP :):walkdog::thumbsup: , all this talk about other peoples herding runs is making me jelouse & nervous, we've got our first trial next Saturday, only instinct but it's still our first time out. I'm having a lesson on Friday to try & calm the nerves a bit, the dog's will do fine but I don't want to stuff it up or them :love:, hope I can meet some DOL herding people some time.

Good luck for your trial Dova!

This was my first time at a herding trial too. I went to do 2 HIC tests and when I passed the first one ended up doing the 2 HTs as well. Was a bit of a shock to the system but I am glad I had a go.

There was a great atmosphere at the trial. Much nicer than any other sport I have competed in! - Dressage, horse showing and obedience. I also found it less restrictive rule wise! So easy for the handler to cause a fail in obedience (using a double signal, talking to dog etc).

Good luck for your trial Dova!

This was my first time at a herding trial too. I went to do 2 HIC tests and when I passed the first one ended up doing the 2 HTs as well. Was a bit of a shock to the system but I am glad I had a go.

There was a great atmosphere at the trial. Much nicer than any other sport I have competed in! - Dressage, horse showing and obedience. I also found it less restrictive rule wise! So easy for the handler to cause a fail in obedience (using a double signal, talking to dog etc).

Yep horse showing was the pits, I did it for years, until my stallion got his Opal award then I was out, didn't mind dressage but I'm looking forward to herding because it seems more like fun than competition. Hope you don't mind being bored to death hearing about it over & over if we pass, I'll be sooo excited.

Congratulations Jules. Now you'll be hooked and spend all your time driving to training and competitions. Do you have sheep of your own? You do realize don't you that they'll be the next expense? I know of a few people who lease paddocks to run a few sheep

I used to compete with horses too and didn't have problems with the atmosphere. I used to do eventing, where there's no point in being bitchy - you either get over the jumps or you don't. I must admit I really enjoy not having to clean gear before and after a competition, plait, spend heaps on petrol towing a float, need expensive equipment and clothes and most of all not falling off.

So what happens now that you have passed your early tests? I must admit I don't know much about herding.

One of my old horsey friends was at the comp too and we had a good chat about how glad we were not to be at a horse comp in that sort of weather! Not having to go home and fix soggy wet gear. Or unpack etc! The dogs are sooo much easier.

No I don't have sheep but could actually do with a couple for grass chomping! Have 4 acres. I would need to re-do the boundary fencing though.

The next level is PT Pre-Trial. Still pretty easy I guess compared to 'real' herding. Does involve going through gates and penning the sheep though. You need to get 2 passes with 2 different judges and then you move up to the trial level. Would like to have a go at this level.

Had a big change of plans for Saturday, still doing the trial "but wait there's more" :eek:, sorry had to chuck that in. We were originally just going to get up about 6am get everything done then head to Adelaide but now we'll have to get up at 4am & leave by 4.30 :eek: . The organisers were having problems getting sheep & then found some but had no transport so a friend rang me, I found a trailer & we're picking the sheep up before we go then taking them back after, whew I'm going to need the BIGGEST :scold:. How's that for a first time at a trial, I'm still way excited about it & don't mind lending a hand, we are such :eek: , :eek: if I ever believe that please hit me with some thing big & heavy. Let you know how it all goes in the next instalment of "Day's of our Dog's", god I'm getting worse think I better have a cuppa & nanna nap :D .

Had a big change of plans for Saturday, still doing the trial "but wait there's more" :) , sorry had to chuck that in. We were originally just going to get up about 6am get everything done then head to Adelaide but now we'll have to get up at 4am & leave by 4.30 :) . The organisers were having problems getting sheep & then found some but had no transport so a friend rang me, I found a trailer & we're picking the sheep up before we go then taking them back after, whew I'm going to need the BIGGEST :laugh: . How's that for a first time at a trial, I'm still way excited about it & don't mind lending a hand, we are such :p , :) if I ever believe that please hit me with some thing big & heavy. Let you know how it all goes in the next instalment of "Day's of our Dog's", god I'm getting worse think I better have a cuppa & nanna nap :) .

Oh you are a life saver!!! As 1 of the organisers you do not know how much we appreciate people like you with enthusiasm AND prepared to help out :laugh:

BTW - we have spoken on the phone a few times and I'll be there all weekend scribing for some and judging for others. My girls get a break this trial, I didn't feel either of them were quite ready for their next level even though I felt I could probably manage to get them around the course. I would rather wait until I am confident that they don't need me for anymore than basic directions of where to take the stock :p

No I don't have sheep but could actually do with a couple for grass chomping! Have 4 acres. I would need to re-do the boundary fencing though.

4 acres is enough Jules, go on you know you want to!! :wink:

You need to find someone with a larger flock that you can have 5 from and rotate them so they don't get too dog broke. I anted to do that with my parents 5 acres but they up and sold it for development. Darned incinsiderate I say!!! :laugh:

:laugh: , oops caught out, wasn't trying to make us sound like saints piper, but I am looking forward to being there & giving Pebbles & Izzi a go. Yeah damn parents are sooo selfish some times but what can ya do :laugh: See ya Saturday.