Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

hi everyone i'm new to the forum and new to be showing, i show my own dog and am in a wheelchair at our very first show my puppy decided he was tired and climbed up onto my knee halfway round the ring i'm pleased we had a very understanding judge

Awwwww

Awesome!! good luck next time :) I think this forum is great just to hear about other peoples little hiccups also ;) We are not alone!

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We were "excused" in our first show and my boy was only 4.5 months old....he wiggled away from the judge twice when he 'lorded' over him and pushed on his shoulders too hard.......no one had ever seen such a debarcle in 25 years of showing.....anyway...it was not a nice first time and it has been hard recovering from it.

Deisel's Mate, when you say you were "excused" do you mean you were asked to leave the ring? I'm just trying to understand what a baby puppy could do that would be so bad it would be "excused" from the ring?

We were "excused" in our first show and my boy was only 4.5 months old....he wiggled away from the judge twice when he 'lorded' over him and pushed on his shoulders too hard.......no one had ever seen such a debarcle in 25 years of showing.....anyway...it was not a nice first time and it has been hard recovering from it.

Deisel's Mate, when you say you were "excused" do you mean you were asked to leave the ring? I'm just trying to understand what a baby puppy could do that would be so bad it would be "excused" from the ring?

how embarrassing ....yes after being told off we were asked to leave the ring......all my pup did was shake his head when he felt the pressure oh his back, and the judge didn't even let me settle pup or myself before 'lunging' down on his shoulders and head again...so of course pup shook his head again.....the judge got cross at us and said "you'll have to leave"

Also...We were the only ones in the ring...the judge just asked us to come in and stack up "because pups have no idea what they are doing"......

Edited by Diesel's Mate

That sounds very harsh Diesel's Mate! Are you entered in the Marion Kennel Club shows on 23rd and 24th? We'll be there then (only our second time out, first was today) so come find us in ring 6 :)

I will be there! It will be my 4th time out as I have our 3rd show next weekend......GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: I will venture over if our times don't clash as I am in ring 4.....hopefully we can share good stories ;)

question for you guys. When my bitch was in the line up she kept moving (moving forward). If she does this again should I do a little u-turn and come around and stand her again. Or maybe if i think she is going to move I should be crouching down? (she tends to move less if im down close to her) im not sure.

question for you guys. When my bitch was in the line up she kept moving (moving forward). If she does this again should I do a little u-turn and come around and stand her again. Or maybe if i think she is going to move I should be crouching down? (she tends to move less if im down close to her) im not sure.

Practice at home and use a command like 'wait' once she is standing. Only reward when she's not creeping forward, reward her quickly to begin with and keep working up to longer periods of 'non-creeping'!

If she does it in the ring, do a little u-turn, but practice will help you not need to do that so often :)

That sounds very harsh Diesel's Mate! Are you entered in the Marion Kennel Club shows on 23rd and 24th? We'll be there then (only our second time out, first was today) so come find us in ring 6 :)

I will be there! It will be my 4th time out as I have our 3rd show next weekend......GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: I will venture over if our times don't clash as I am in ring 4.....hopefully we can share good stories ;)

Ohh cool, our times won't clash as we are the third breed in after Akitas and Alaskan Malamutes, and I assume you'd be near the end of your group :thumbsup: Come and say hi, I'll keep my eye out!

Ohh cool, our times won't clash as we are the third breed in after Akitas and Alaskan Malamutes, and I assume you'd be near the end of your group :thumbsup: Come and say hi, I'll keep my eye out!

Awesome!...seeya there :):thumbsup:

Practice at home and use a command like 'wait' once she is standing. Only reward when she's not creeping forward, reward her quickly to begin with and keep working up to longer periods of 'non-creeping'!

If she does it in the ring, do a little u-turn, but practice will help you not need to do that so often :)

Thanks for that Aziah

Hi whiskedaway, pixie and rally.....Sorry I didn't get back sooner.....mayhem at work....

I am now very aware of what is involved in having a show dog and I really need to get to work training him and getting him to let me stack him.....we are slowly getting there but I need to ring the trainer my breeder suggested (I am currently letting the team down but always take in the hints and tips offered)

Now he is going slightly pigeon toed (just a growth stage) and I have no idea how to stack him....I almost want to pack it all in....but I find it quite fun. We are currently standing still with legs even and he stands still while checking teeth, but he is 6 months now and we are falling very behind........

Whisked away....what ring are you in?......it is easy to spot me......white face, shaking legs, and a Ridgeback that is pulling my arm out.....just look for the person with no idea..... hahahaha

I will be at the Gawler Show at SACA park on Sunday 17th July......

Hey! :) I will be at the Gawler shows tomorrow and also both days for Marion. I will have Holly (red merle Aussie Shepherd with the blue eyes) and Ruby (Irish Terrier), both are pretty distinctive if you want to come say hi. :)

Cassie - can't wait to see your baby!

Sooooooooo, today in the GAWLER show in adelaide.......Group 4 Hounds Leo won Best Minor Puppy in Group! :D :D :D

Then I completly lost it and mis handled him for Best Minor Puppy in show....but all in all the judfges were LOVELY and it was a great experience...

thanks for all the info everyone :)

Edited by Diesel's Mate

Sooooooooo, today in the GAWLER show in adelaide.......Group 4 Hounds Leo won Best Minor Puppy in Group! :D :D :D

Then I completly lost it and mis handled him for Best Minor Puppy in show....but all in all the judfges were LOVELY and it was a great experience...

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Thanks Ellie!! :thumbsup:

Congratulations! I can't believe I stood next to you and didn't realise who it was! :laugh:

Hopefully next weekend is nicer weather.

hahahaha, well these things happen....I didn't either....at least we smiled at each other!

Next weekend better be nicer....my feet are still cold and wet! ;)

Ohh my gosh congrats!!! :thumbsup: Well done :D

• Troy unpinned this topic