Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This may be a stupid question, but sure it is something that comes up often.

I am about to enter a show which falls on the birthday of my dog. He was born on the 9th June 2011, and this show is on 9th June 2012.. my question is - does he show in Puppy as he only turns 12months on the day and puppy is 6-12 months, or does he have to go up into Junior? Or do I get to decide where to place him?

I didn't realise I would ever have to worry about this! :p

This may be a stupid question, but sure it is something that comes up often.

I am about to enter a show which falls on the birthday of my dog. He was born on the 9th June 2011, and this show is on 9th June 2012.. my question is - does he show in Puppy as he only turns 12months on the day and puppy is 6-12 months, or does he have to go up into Junior? Or do I get to decide where to place him?

I didn't realise I would ever have to worry about this! :p

The age is the age as at the date of the show. So because he is 12 months on the day of the show, or 1 year old, he goes into Junior.

Can someone clarify the ettiquette of dogs around the ring?

We were at a specialty show over Easter to cheer on a friend and take photographs. So when it was time, we set up about 2m from the ring rope. My dog was lying on the ground in the deep grass, facing away from the ring chewing on a stick.

While we were watching - an exhibitor pointed at me, then gestured that I needed to move further away from the ring - mouthing "move the small dog". The exhibitor looked quite angry.

We moved back another 2m, Ziva then laid back down and kept chewing on the stick.

Some other exhibitors told me I shouldn't have moved, it was the exhibitor's job to keep the attention of their dog in the ring and my dog wasn't doing anything to draw attention to herself.

We've been at all breeds shows where I've seen plenty of dogs around the ring - so I wasn't sure on what the correct ettiquette is. Can anyone shed some light on this?

SC you were quite close to the ring, right where the dogs were moving back towards the judge and it was distracting a number of the dogs, not just the exhibitor in question. A couple of people wanted Ziva moved back.

Everyone has different opinions of what people should and shouldn't be doing. Personally I didn't find her an issue but other people did.

Generally if I'm taking photos close to the ring I don't bring the dog along but thats JMO

This may seem a silly question, but where do you sit when you are new and don't have your own shade? Is it necessary to bring a crate (I'm not sure Bella's will fit in the car with her), would it be worth getting a soft crate that can fold down smaller, or should I just bring something for her to lie on?

GH, no need for a crate if you keep her close to you and under control. you could also get a crate system from buntings. they call them compost bin cages but look the same as the panels you can buy. they fit in any car and you assemble as you'd like. let me know if you'd like further instructions.

GH, no need for a crate if you keep her close to you and under control. you could also get a crate system from buntings. they call them compost bin cages but look the same as the panels you can buy. they fit in any car and you assemble as you'd like. let me know if you'd like further instructions.

Would that be suitable for a GSD?

This may seem a silly question, but where do you sit when you are new and don't have your own shade? Is it necessary to bring a crate (I'm not sure Bella's will fit in the car with her), would it be worth getting a soft crate that can fold down smaller, or should I just bring something for her to lie on?

Omg! I was going to ask this exact same question! I checked out one of the local shows here yesterday and about 99% of the dogs were in crates (and with wheels!) and I thought it might just be the 'done' thing now...gee so so different to 20 or so years ago. :)

I use a crate for sheer convenience i often attend shows on my own and i take multiple dogs. If I need the ladies room at least i know they are safe, can't run off or get injured :) but they do regularly come out and just hang around on lead :D

Thanks emery, I hadn't thought of the possibility of needing the ladies! Luckily it won't be just Bella and I at our first couple so if I could have a friend hold on to her if need be. I'd like to have a crate at shows so she has a safe place to retreat to if she wants a break.

As for shade, I can't recall what it is like in SA but I can't remember there being that many trees on the grounds. If that is the case, it'd be a good idea to get a shade, or even start with a large umbrella although these aren't quite as easy to find these days. Back when I used to attend shows as a kid, it was a sea of yellow and red "PAL" umbrellas and now it's mostly Gazebos!

in WA the people who have gazebo's set up closer to the rings and the ones without set up under the shade of the trees. it works out very well this way although if you set up further back you do have to be aware of what is going on in the rings, because the gazebos can sometimes block the view!

As for crates, you can go without them if you have one dog or more than one person attending, but it's so much easier with a crate. The dogs are safe and out of the way, and probably a lot more relaxed.

It's held my adult borzoi. you buy to compost bin packs which gives you 8 panels. you would need to secure it down with pegs and i use zip ties to clip each panel together. you make a rectangular shape, so 2 panels on one side and one on the other with 2 overlapping panels on top. its not as secure as a proper crate but still pretty decent and cheap.

It's held my adult borzoi. you buy to compost bin packs which gives you 8 panels. you would need to secure it down with pegs and i use zip ties to clip each panel together. you make a rectangular shape, so 2 panels on one side and one on the other with 2 overlapping panels on top. its not as secure as a proper crate but still pretty decent and cheap.

Will have to check it out- it has to be strong enough to hold a very boisterous 8 month old pup! Lol

• Troy unpinned this topic