Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Sorry it take me so long to reply (I wasnt being rude, I was on holiday! :) )

Anyway me and Pippa have done 3 shows now and have loved every moment of it! The first time we went in the ring I had no idea what I was doing, the ground was soaked and we just walked around like we were both aliens on another planet. But now lets just say our gear has increased, met some wonderful people and after not seeing Pippa for a month we went back in the ring on the day after I came back and got 2nd in Sweepstakes and our first BOB! :thumbsup:

She just seems to love it and has started to get very excited when i bring out the show lead for training! Shes being picky with food at the moment tho and changes her mind one day to the next as to what she likes so looks like im gonna have to start taking a platter with me for bait. lol!

Just want to say a huge THANK YOU for everyones tips and help.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im in my first show next w/end, pup will be 18 wks old. I need a bit of general advice on a couple of things.

We have been able to get to 2 show handling classes, first time he was great, let the lady touch him, trotted around, & Iwas even able to stack him for a short time.

The second week complete opposite he wouldnt let her anywhere near him, did not want to be touched at all, no idea why as she was gentle the previous week. He seems to have developed a dislike of being touched anywhere near his head, & I know that he hasnt been mishadled by anyone so hoping its teething and a stage he is going though. He was also dreadful to lead ( I used a soft martingale the first wk, changed to a slip collar & lead all in one the second wk cos I found the martingale difficult) he refused to move, then tryed to run off, then decided that he wanted to bark at the other dogs, then didnt want to know me at all which is really unusual for him, he is so attentive to me usually.

I have gone back to the soft martingale now which has seemed to fix the refusal to walk with me at all, he didnt like the other lead obviously!

I am doing a lot of hand feeding him now too, and click treating for letting me near his face. Hoping this helps.

Hopefully the judges will be understanding of our lack of manners for a while, is it better to go in more Open shows while he is little, a bit of a brat & Im so new to this? Because he wont be up for any points will the judge perhaps cut me a bit more slack, I dont want to get berated by a judge at a Championship show for him not being better behaved, or is there not a lot of difference?

Also is it a generally done thing to send a SSAE when I send my entry forms in even if its not stated in the shows details?

H MishB. Your boy is just a baby and judges are pretty good with babies. If you can get to more handling classes it will be beneficial to you and your dog there are some great trainers out here in wa if you are in perth. Helena at canine grounds tuesday nights, Delia at canine grounds on Thursday nights and a gentleman called Tony that does it from his house.

you are fine to enter Championship shows just let judge and steward know its your first show and they are normally very willing to give advice and take their time etc. I took a baby in a few weeks ago and she kangaroo jumped the whole way around the ring tried to get in the judges lap then her brother refused to walk and i had to walk around ring backwards ROFL gave everyone a laugh but pups enjoyed themselves and that is the maint hing.

Open shows are great for oyu and your pup to learn more and gain experience but we have more champ shows then open.

Pup may be teething hence shy around his/her head. i would suggest small training sessions with lots of praise and reward and don't stres if pup doesn't stand still you want them to have fun and you can keep working and praising for standing still, start with 5 seconds and work up :)

What breed are you showing and what show are you in, Next weekend i am in the utility dog club shows open and champ sun 6th. You are more than welcome to come sit with us if its that show and i can help you out if you need it.

Stacking is placing the feet in the correct position. Usually front legs straight down from the shoulder and the back feet out so the hocks are 90 degrees to the ground.

Many people teach their dogs to free-stack, which is simply the dog placing their feet themselves instead of the handler doing it.

H MishB. Your boy is just a baby and judges are pretty good with babies. If you can get to more handling classes it will be beneficial to you and your dog there are some great trainers out here in wa if you are in perth. Helena at canine grounds tuesday nights, Delia at canine grounds on Thursday nights and a gentleman called Tony that does it from his house.

you are fine to enter Championship shows just let judge and steward know its your first show and they are normally very willing to give advice and take their time etc. I took a baby in a few weeks ago and she kangaroo jumped the whole way around the ring tried to get in the judges lap then her brother refused to walk and i had to walk around ring backwards ROFL gave everyone a laugh but pups enjoyed themselves and that is the maint hing.

Open shows are great for oyu and your pup to learn more and gain experience but we have more champ shows then open.

Pup may be teething hence shy around his/her head. i would suggest small training sessions with lots of praise and reward and don't stres if pup doesn't stand still you want them to have fun and you can keep working and praising for standing still, start with 5 seconds and work up :)

What breed are you showing and what show are you in, Next weekend i am in the utility dog club shows open and champ sun 6th. You are more than welcome to come sit with us if its that show and i can help you out if you need it.

My pup is a Brittany, so we are in the gun dog ring. Im entered in the Gun Dog Show on Saturday. I have met the only other Brittany exhibitor already & I have arranged to sit with her, but thank you so much for your offer, thats so nice :)

It sounds like the baby puppy class can be quite entertaining at times, I was at the agility today for a look, a lovely lady said as long as he didnt bite the judge in the ring we'd be all good. He was a perfect little angel down there this afternoon, he is so unpredictable at the moment! So different to my older dog when he was a pup, he went through the usual forget everything at 7/8 mths but didnt have all this moodiness that I remember.

I have gone done to Jenn (Wolfproud) for 2 handling classes so far, she is lovely.

She does them on Thurs nights at the cawa too, during school term is a bit difficult to get there tho, its a 40-45 min drive & kids need to be in bed a bit earlier. I get there when my hubby is home, he works away a fair bit, so its a juggling act.I will go along to as many as I can, I have learnt heaps already.

I am able to get to her class again this week and Im doing short fun trainng sessions with him like suggested, so we will get there eventually. My eldest son has seen that there are childrens handling classes and wants to do them he told me today too!So after I learn, I guess I will be going with him lol

My pup is a Brittany, so we are in the gun dog ring. Im entered in the Gun Dog Show on Saturday. I have met the only other Brittany exhibitor already & I have arranged to sit with her, but thank you so much for your offer, thats so nice :)

It sounds like the baby puppy class can be quite entertaining at times, I was at the agility today for a look, a lovely lady said as long as he didnt bite the judge in the ring we'd be all good. He was a perfect little angel down there this afternoon, he is so unpredictable at the moment! So different to my older dog when he was a pup, he went through the usual forget everything at 7/8 mths but didnt have all this moodiness that I remember.

I have gone done to Jenn (Wolfproud) for 2 handling classes so far, she is lovely.

She does them on Thurs nights at the cawa too, during school term is a bit difficult to get there tho, its a 40-45 min drive & kids need to be in bed a bit earlier. I get there when my hubby is home, he works away a fair bit, so its a juggling act.I will go along to as many as I can, I have learnt heaps already.

I am able to get to her class again this week and Im doing short fun trainng sessions with him like suggested, so we will get there eventually. My eldest son has seen that there are childrens handling classes and wants to do them he told me today too!So after I learn, I guess I will be going with him lol

Oh yes baby puppy class is so much fun :) Always good for a giggle. I understand the travelling to get there it takes me 30 mins or more depending on traffic and my hubby works away as well so with three kids it is hard :)

The other brittany exhbitor if its who i am thinking it is is lovely and she will be very helpful :)

Good luck on saturday and just remember to have fun :D

MishB your other question was answered well by Emery, but just to answer your other question, you dont have to send a SSAE unless it's stated, in WA. Most of the shows you just pick up your numbers before the show starts.

OKay thanks, what time on Saturday are you getting there & how do I figure out where to set up my stuff? I was thinking I would get there about 8am so I have time to find where the ring is, put my crate up and get puppys early morning crazies out of the way, I would think I am first in the ring with a baby Brit?

Do you know if it is in the undercover area or outside? I guess I will soon find out when I get there lol.

Oh yes baby puppy class is so much fun :) Always good for a giggle. I understand the travelling to get there it takes me 30 mins or more depending on traffic and my hubby works away as well so with three kids it is hard :)

The other brittany exhbitor if its who i am thinking it is is lovely and she will be very helpful :)

Good luck on saturday and just remember to have fun :D

Thx Emery, yes she is lovely. Im pretty organised now, just got to figure out what Im wearing! I think I need a new top (any excuse will do). I dont know if the hubby & kids are coming, he is home this weekend but Im not sure if I want the distraction of watching the kids at my first show? Have to think about that, trying to keep it as low key as I can. First show is probably nerve wracking for most people I would think.

MishB your other question was answered well by Emery, but just to answer your other question, you dont have to send a SSAE unless it's stated, in WA. Most of the shows you just pick up your numbers before the show starts.

OKay thanks, what time on Saturday are you getting there & how do I figure out where to set up my stuff? I was thinking I would get there about 8am so I have time to find where the ring is, put my crate up and get puppys early morning crazies out of the way, I would think I am first in the ring with a baby Brit?

Do you know if it is in the undercover area or outside? I guess I will soon find out when I get there lol.

8am is a good time to get there i try get there an hour before show to allow set up and relax and i have an R breed very rarely we are at the beginning lol.

when you pull in the gates there is a billboard it will have the ring numbers on it and the layout. so i might have up the top 1 2 3 which means opposite side near canteen closest to canteen ring 1 then ring 2 then ring 3 bottom of board is office side same rule applies first is closest to office and then each consecutive ring. (think i got the top and bottom bit right i haven't been to a show in ages lol)

Look for your ring if lost go to office and ask they normally all to willing to point out your ring. You need to set up 2m from the ring to allow a pathway and esure there is a 1m walkway between multiple gazebos.

Remember to collect numbers if they haven't been sent to you and have a great day

yes i have to take one of mine on sunday my 9month old the other two are being babysat at the grandparents otherwise i am on constant watch alert :D

8am is a good time to get there i try get there an hour before show to allow set up and relax and i have an R breed very rarely we are at the beginning lol.

when you pull in the gates there is a billboard it will have the ring numbers on it and the layout. so i might have up the top 1 2 3 which means opposite side near canteen closest to canteen ring 1 then ring 2 then ring 3 bottom of board is office side same rule applies first is closest to office and then each consecutive ring. (think i got the top and bottom bit right i haven't been to a show in ages lol)

Look for your ring if lost go to office and ask they normally all to willing to point out your ring. You need to set up 2m from the ring to allow a pathway and esure there is a 1m walkway between multiple gazebos.

Remember to collect numbers if they haven't been sent to you and have a great day

yes i have to take one of mine on sunday my 9month old the other two are being babysat at the grandparents otherwise i am on constant watch alert :D

Thx I did wonder what the billboard meant :doh:

I know what you mean about being on constant watch alert with the kids too, just cant turn it off if they are there :)

Edited by MishB

MishB I have to pick a dog up at 8am so I'll likely be there around 8.30am. I like to be there from the start to watch/support friends :) I recall that they would try their hardest to have it outside but given the weather today it might be too wet to show on the grass so my guess is undercover. RallyValley usually gets there pretty early to ensure she's settled before the show starts, so make sure you look for her or wait around for her and set up with us.

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow :)

MishB I have to pick a dog up at 8am so I'll likely be there around 8.30am. I like to be there from the start to watch/support friends :) I recall that they would try their hardest to have it outside but given the weather today it might be too wet to show on the grass so my guess is undercover. RallyValley usually gets there pretty early to ensure she's settled before the show starts, so make sure you look for her or wait around for her and set up with us.

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow :)

Yep its bucketing down here ATM although Im NOR, but my guess would be that we will be undercover.

I bought a new top yesterday(slight shopping addiction, any excuse will do) Im a PT so Lorna Jane,adidas,nike are pretty much all thats in my wardrobe except the odd girls night out type thing. So I am now the proud owner of dress pants & top, I havent felt so 'office dressed' in years lol. I am glad that ppl do generally wear flat shoes tho, I cant walk in heels at all, let alone walk a dog in them!

Im thinking at this point only me & Jackson coming along(my eldest son, he's 12 & wants to show dogs himself). That way I wont need to worry about how bored hubby will be, as well as keeping an eye on my younger son (he is 9, & not that keen on the dog show thing).

Obi was a little star at the handling class last night :) so Im no where near as worryed as I was after the last time when he chucked a paddy the entire time. He must have been having a crappy day cos he hasnt behaved anywhere near that horribly since. He was a silly little boy but he was happy & generally did the right thing so Im really pleased.

Im a bit nervous but also excited about actually getting to finally get in the ring, it feels like Ive been waiting for ages for the day, is that weird? And Im happy to be finally meeting some of you in person.

So over and out til tommorrow :thumbsup:

Hi, I have a quick question.. I want to enter my adult bitch in an upcoming show but I don't know which class to enter her in. Should I enter her into 10 or 11?

Australian Bred 10 For dogs aged six months or over whelped in Australia. (A State and/or Territory may reserve the right to exclude all, or any, of the recognised Australian Breeds).

Open 11 For dogs aged six months or over and of a breed or variety recognised by the ANKC.

It will be my first show with her so I'm kind of confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

Hi, I have a quick question.. I want to enter my adult bitch in an upcoming show but I don't know which class to enter her in. Should I enter her into 10 or 11?

Australian Bred 10 For dogs aged six months or over whelped in Australia. (A State and/or Territory may reserve the right to exclude all, or any, of the recognised Australian Breeds).

Open 11 For dogs aged six months or over and of a breed or variety recognised by the ANKC.

It will be my first show with her so I'm kind of confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

What breed?

Basically both classes mean that the dog has to be six months or over to be eligible (with no upper age limit) but if she wasn't born in Australia she cannot be shown in Australian Bred.

Other than that, really is your choice but be aware that for a new exhibitor in some breeds, the competition in Open can be pretty solid.

She is a shetland sheepdog.. I've been told it's probably not the best breed to start showing with competition-wise but I didn't buy her to show her, I just realised she was on the main register about 6 months after I got her and decided to try showing as a hobby. She was born and bred in Australia so I guess I will enter her in 10 to start with since 11 seems to be a bit more intimidating atm. Thanks for your advice ELLZ! Very much appreciated. :D

She is a shetland sheepdog.. I've been told it's probably not the best breed to start showing with competition-wise but I didn't buy her to show her, I just realised she was on the main register about 6 months after I got her and decided to try showing as a hobby. She was born and bred in Australia so I guess I will enter her in 10 to start with since 11 seems to be a bit more intimidating atm. Thanks for your advice ELLZ! Very much appreciated. :D

How old is she? There might be other classes that may be a better option.

• Troy unpinned this topic