Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

I've got a neuter class question....

Cleo is desexed now, but I still want to dabble in showing (and catch up with my mentor!) is the neuter class the ONLY class I can enter now? (eg is Aust bred excluded) Just want to clarify =]

And does the dog/bitch that wins the neuter class get points towards a title?

Just thought I'd ask while I was in the show ring section. Thanks =]

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cleo is desexed now, but I still want to dabble in showing (and catch up with my mentor!) is the neuter class the ONLY class I can enter now? (eg is Aust bred excluded) Just want to clarify =]

Neuters can only compete in the classes offered for Neuters at shows and in SOME states in Australia, Neuter points are offered. Not all.

Neuters can only compete in the classes offered for Neuters at shows and in SOME states in Australia, Neuter points are offered. Not all.

Thank you. Luckily, even though im in a fairly regional part of NSW, a few shows nearby are hosting neuter classes! Just for that Im grateful (I can show for fun and NOT worry about seasons!) I don't really care about points, they would just be a nice bonus.

Bella got her first CC today. :)

I took it home and realised her name has been spelled incorrectly (even after I'd corrected the misspelling in the catalogue). Do I need to contact someone to get it fixed up?

Congratulations!! Obi got one too, even though he was the only dog in his breed there it was still a bit exciting :laugh:

Bella got her first CC today. :)

I took it home and realised her name has been spelled incorrectly (even after I'd corrected the misspelling in the catalogue). Do I need to contact someone to get it fixed up?

Congratulations!! Obi got one too, even though he was the only dog in his breed there it was still a bit exciting :laugh:

Even being the only one it's still a thrill getting those first points!

Hi, I'm new to showing. I live in Albury so to go to shows, I'm going to have to travel a lot. Since shows start in the morning, I won't be able to drive down the day of the show for shows in Melbourne or Sydney.

Something occured to me. Where are you supposed to stay with your dog? Are there dog hotels around? Do you just sleep in your car? I can't imagine that'd be great fun for the dog.

I know it's a newbie question with a probably very obvious answer but I can't figure it out. Help?

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to showing. I live in Albury so to go to shows, I'm going to have to travel a lot. Since shows start in the morning, I won't be able to drive down the day of the show for shows in Melbourne or Sydney.

Something occured to me. Where are you supposed to stay with your dog? Are there dog hotels around? Do you just sleep in your car? I can't imagine that'd be great fun for the dog.

I know it's a newbie question with a probably very obvious answer but I can't figure it out. Help?

Thanks

Some motels accept dogs, as do caravan parks etc. Many people camp. Some stay with friends.

There are heaps of country shows too where you won't have to travel as much - Albury, Wodonga, Corowa, Wang, Benalla, Shepp, Yarrawonga, Wagga, Junee and lots more in that general area :) We never used to travel to Melbourne for showing when we lived up there, unless it was to specialities (although we are also happy to only have a couple of shows a month, we don't look to show every weekend).

This is probably a silly question but how do I enter a show in another state?

I live in WA but my family live in Canberra and Melbourne, so when I go home for a visit which is a couple of times a year, I wouldnt mind entering a show while Im there.

How do I find out what is on while Im over there?

Would I enter the same class as I would if it were here? are shows run the same way in each state?

Yep they are run the same way. It depends on where you enter the show but some states have all the schedules online so you can view to see what you can enter. You can use the same entry form you use for our shows (I think) and the same class you would enter here.

I without reading properly have entered Gus into the GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY WINTER INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW.....this was not a good idea was it?

Someone give me an honest opinion if i should just not show up on the day.. hahah are these shows the deep end of the show spectrum.. it sounds all fancy and top of the range show dog like.

I without reading properly have entered Gus into the GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY WINTER INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW.....this was not a good idea was it?

Someone give me an honest opinion if i should just not show up on the day.. hahah are these shows the deep end of the show spectrum.. it sounds all fancy and top of the range show dog like.

it's just a show like any other. Even the Royals are still just dog shows. You might pay more in entry fees as the prizes might be better and someone has to pay to get those international judges here :D

it's just a show like any other. Even the Royals are still just dog shows. You might pay more in entry fees as the prizes might be better and someone has to pay to get those international judges here :D

I just dont want to offend anyone..... hopefully the international German judge has a funny bone, because his going to need it for his puppy class!

I just dont want to offend anyone..... hopefully the international German judge has a funny bone, because his going to need it for his puppy class!

this dog showing stuff is supposed to be fun! Of course you will offend someone, it's a given. You won't know why or what or how but who cares? Sure there will be some sour person tut tutting if Gus is less then perfect, but no doubt they would be like that even if Gus is perfect! If it wasn't you it would be someone else. Don't worry about what other people might be thinking/doing/saying. You and Gus go have some fun!

this dog showing stuff is supposed to be fun! Of course you will offend someone, it's a given. You won't know why or what or how but who cares? Sure there will be some sour person tut tutting if Gus is less then perfect, but no doubt they would be like that even if Gus is perfect! If it wasn't you it would be someone else. Don't worry about what other people might be thinking/doing/saying. You and Gus go have some fun!

Go on TCM! Have some fun! If I lived anywhere near a major showing area (hello 6 hours driving to Hillsborough, the closest major show area) I would do it! I probably also wouldn't have a desexed bitch because showing wouldn't be a 3 or 4 times a year occasion.

Enjoy yourself! And don't stress too much over Gus' dally behaviour...Cleo got her brains at about 10-11 months :) she is a pleasure to stack and work with now!

Rebanne: absolutely love what you have said, I need to remember this a bit more!! Thanks!

Thankyou SO MUCH for explaining this, I have sent multiple e-mails to dogs victoria in order to try and understand it and get the usual "no reply" from them

From ANKC regulations.

Classes for Exhibit at a Show

General Classes (6/95)

Name No. Description

Baby Puppy 1 For dogs aged three and under six months.

Minor Puppy 2 For dogs aged six and under nine months.

Puppy 3 For dogs aged six and under twelve months.

Junior 4 For dogs aged nine and under eighteen months.

Intermediate 5 For dogs aged eighteen and under thirty-six months.

Novice 6 For dogs six months of age or over which have not won a First Prize at any Open Parade, Open Show or Championship Show (subject to Member Body Rules). Baby puppy and Local classes excepted. (For the purpose of classifications (6) and (6A) First Prizes won up to and including the day before the date of entry close in a Show only shall be taken into account but such restriction shall not apply in the case of a Special Prize for which more than one win is required).

Graduate 7 For dogs six months of age or over which have not won a Challenge Certificate up to and including the day before the date of entry close.

Limit 8 For dogs over twelve months of age which are not Champions, or have not gained sufficient points to qualify as a Champion up to and including the day before the date of entry close.

State Bred 9 For dogs six months of age or over whelped in the State or Territory in which it is exhibited.

Australian Bred 10 For dogs aged six months or over whelped in Australia. (A State and/or Territory may reserve the right to exclude all, or any, of the recognised Australian Breeds).

Open 11 For dogs aged six months or over and of a breed or variety recognised by the ANKC.

Puppy Neuter 15 For neuter dogs and bitches aged six and under twelve months. (5/01)

Junior Neuter 16 For neuter dogs and bitches aged nine and under eighteen months. (5/01)

Intermediate Neuter 17 For neuter dogs and bitches aged eighteen and under thirty-six months. (5/01)

Open Neuter 18 For neuter dogs and bitches aged six months or over. (5/01)

• 3 months later...

No, you can only enter one class per dog :)

What about those who enter puppy bitch and Australian bred? Also you can do puppy sweepstakes or baby puppy sweepstakes and the open show and the champ show all on one day - it is alot though and much running around :laugh:

• Troy unpinned this topic