Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

This question has probably been answered a hundred times already but I havent come across the answer in my travels here so I will ask again.

What is the sweepstakes class? The show I am looking at has a baby puppy sweepstakes class.

My puppy will be 5 mths old so he is in the baby class, is the baby sweepstakes on after all of the baby classes are done? Im not sure if I enter it or not?

Or is it for the winners of the babys in each breed or group?

Also when Im filling in my entry forms:

On the form itself it states Entered in Breed Class No.. do I write baby or a number 1 here?

He goes up to Minor Puppy when he is 6 mths old counted by calendar mths is this right? So if his birthday is 19th Dec 2011, he will be in minor puppy after 19th June 2012?

Do I need to write what group or does the show sec put them in their groups? I think they would do that but Im not sure if I need to write the number anywhere, it doesnt have a spot to write it.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All...

Im a newbie to the world of dog showing and my Chow Chow has her first show this weekend coming. Lets just say im very nervous! ARGH!!!! But excited :D

Shes a very socialable puppy and thinks every dog just wants to play with her. The problem im having with training is getting her to stand. As soon as she sees the treat she sits. Guess that was my fault for training her to sit initially and she learnt that in the first week we got her. Im working with her on the stand and we've got it to about 30 seconds maybe longer sometimes but i dont think i'll be able to get her standing for the whole time by Saturday. Any tips?

Probably by now you have had 100 tips re stacking your dog, but the best one I got was to practice by standing her across 2 chairs placed in front of each other, so I put her back legs on one chair and front legs on other and left little gap between the 2 padded seats, dangled a bit of juicy morsel in front of nose hey presto standing beautifully and with repeated short practices she "got it" quickly then we transitioned to table top which for some dogs is very intimidating, I don't think your breed has to do table top I think is a ground stack for judge to examine. but in our case with small breed we had to practice table and also ground, we are now to stage where I can get her to stack nicely after completing a circle, we practiced using a rolled up couple towels with tape to hold them in a roll and I had her stand over these once she got idea I removed the "padding" and it had imprinted on her so when I click my fingers and say stand she does :thumbsup: Oh and she is only 16weeks old :)

Good luck

Thats a great tip, although I am a tiny bit scared my puppy will fall of the chairs he is such a wriggler, everthing is so exciting for him at the moment.

This question has probably been answered a hundred times already but I havent come across the answer in my travels here so I will ask again.

What is the sweepstakes class? The show I am looking at has a baby puppy sweepstakes class.

My puppy will be 5 mths old so he is in the baby class, is the baby sweepstakes on after all of the baby classes are done? Im not sure if I enter it or not?

Or is it for the winners of the babys in each breed or group?

Also when Im filling in my entry forms:

On the form itself it states Entered in Breed Class No.. do I write baby or a number 1 here?

He goes up to Minor Puppy when he is 6 mths old counted by calendar mths is this right? So if his birthday is 19th Dec 2011, he will be in minor puppy after 19th June 2012?

Do I need to write what group or does the show sec put them in their groups? I think they would do that but Im not sure if I need to write the number anywhere, it doesnt have a spot to write it.

I haven't done a sweepstakes but I have watched them - sweepstakes is all entries (in this case babies) of all breeds in together, so not split by breed or group. The show schedules here usually say what time they are on, it is often before the rest of the show starts so you may need to get there first thing. Some people like to do them as they are extra experience for the puppy, some people don't because they think the pups get too tired, it's up to you and might depend on how big a show it is you are going to and how mature your baby is. Spweepstakes are optional, you need to decide to enter and pay the extra fee. I can only say they look like fun.

For your other questions - you write the number of the class. You don't need to write the group number on the entry form, just the breed. And you are correct with your calcuation of age, but I think they go into minor on the day they turn 6 months, so he would be minor on 19 June. Long time since I had a baby but thinbk that is right.

Can anyone help me with entry for Brace Classes?

Cost of the entry for "special classes" is $7.00. i want to enter brace class with two of the dogs I'm entering in regular classes. is the cost of the Brace Class per dog ($14.00) or one single entry for the actual class ($7)?

MishB the sweepstakes is just before the Gundog group unfortunately being first in the Gundog ring you will have to rush over for breed class and sweepstakes can be long if there are lots of pups in.

I think if you are feeling a bit nervous leave the sweepstake class this time and then you and Obi won't be tired out for breed class :)

Cost of the entry for "special classes" is $7.00. i want to enter brace class with two of the dogs I'm entering in regular classes. is the cost of the Brace Class per dog ($14.00) or one single entry for the actual class ($7)?

I would think just $7. I have recently entered a breeders class and the cost was $10 for the entry not $10 per dog.

I would think just $7. I have recently entered a breeders class and the cost was $10 for the entry not $10 per dog.

Yep, one class, one entry fee. As Rebanne said, if you enter a breeders class or sire/dam progeny you only pay one entry fee regardless of how many dogs you have in your team.

MishB the sweepstakes is just before the Gundog group unfortunately being first in the Gundog ring you will have to rush over for breed class and sweepstakes can be long if there are lots of pups in.

I think if you are feeling a bit nervous leave the sweepstake class this time and then you and Obi won't be tired out for breed class :)

Thx Rally Valley I will give the sweepstakes class a miss :)

Yay, Im sooo excited my crate arrived yesterday!!!!!! Now to start crate training Obi so he doesnt freak out when he is in it for our show!

Edited by MishB

Im freaking out a little bit, Its Gus's first show on Saturday,

1 - His a muddy mess and I cant get his white parts white, any suggestion?

2 - Every time we have a training session his mucking up big time!!! not standing properly or deciding he wants to look around everywhere or just sit :cry:

3 - I recieved something in the mail telling me to collect my numbers on the day, do shows run to some kind of schedule, it says judging commences 9:30am what time should I get there??

4 - HELP IM STRESSING!! hahah :(

Thinking of showing your baby puppy?.

Grooming:

Talk to the breeder of your puppy about which products to use.

Read breed specific forums and FB groups

Talk to the breeder of you puppy

Talk to other people in the breed

Talk to the breeder of your puppy.

Before entering a show:

Go to at least a couple of shows with the breeder of your puppy if possible

Talk to exhibitors of your breed at shows

Go to show training if possible

Once you have entered the show:

Bath your dog the day before the show or when your breeder suggests you bath your puppy

Get to the show early so you have time to get set up and get you and your puppy ready

Have fun with your puppy

Show your puppy in the ring

Don't worry if your puppy will not stack for longer than a few seconds. Look around you, must of the other babies aren't either.

Have fun with your puppy

Go home with the best puppy in the world no matter what happened in the ring.

Repeat as long as you and your puppy are having fun.

Oh yes. Talk to the breeder of you puppy.

As far as sweepstakes are concerned for your first couple of shows I wouldn't bother entering until. You feel comfortable with breed judging. :)

Two last things

And

Have fun with your puppy!

Hope this helps ease some of the nerves of those new to the show ring :)

Edited by Keshwar

Grooming:

Before entering a show:

Bath your dog the day before the show or when your breeder suggests you bath your puppy

Get to the show early so you have time to get set up and get you and your puppy ready

Have fun with your puppy

Don't worry if your puppy will not stack for longer than a few seconds. Look around you, must of the other babies aren't either.

Have fun with your puppy

As far as sweepstakes are concerned for your first couple of shows I wouldn't bother entering until. You feel comfortable with breed judging. :)

Two last things

And

Lol my breeder does not show... but I have got in contact with someone else who is very familiar with my pup, his lines, the breed and the show ring sooo big plus for me

I have been attending show training for about 2 months... :) also fun.

Why im stressed.,... PUP HAS DECIDED HE DOESNT WANT TO STACK ANYMORE!!! lol I hope this changes on the day haha...

Grooming:

Before entering a show:

Have fun with your puppy

Have fun with your puppy

Two last things

And

Lol my breeder does not show... but I have got in contact with someone else who is very familiar with my pup, his lines, the breed and the show ring sooo big plus for me

I have been attending show training for about 2 months... :) also fun.

Why im stressed.,... PUP HAS DECIDED HE DOESNT WANT TO STACK ANYMORE!!! lol I hope this changes on the day haha...

Re-read the bit about if your puppy won't stack! :)

And relax! With baby puppies it's all about having fun and getting them and you used to the ring.

Just go to the show and have fun with your pup. :thumbsup:

Hi - I'm entering my and my puppies first show and am a little confused exactly what I should put on the entry form. I know that there have been similar questions but nothing that has given me the exact answer.

The entry form looks like this:

Entered in Breed Class Nos. - Is this where I put 6 for Utility?

Entered in Special Class No - Is this where I put 1A for Baby Puppy Bitch?

Also the show which I am entering has 3-6 months Sweepstakes do I put that in

Entered in Special Class No??

Thanks Merlin

Edited by merlin086

Hi - I'm entering my and my puppies first show and am a little confused exactly what I should put on the entry form. I know that there have been similar questions but nothing that has given me the exact answer.

The entry form looks like this:

Entered in Breed Class Nos. - Is this where I put 6 for Utility?

Entered in Special Class No - Is this where I put 1A for Baby Puppy Bitch?

Also the show which I am entering has 3-6 months Sweepstakes do I put that in

Entered in Special Class No??

Thanks Merlin

No, the Breed Class No is where you put 1A for Baby Puppy Bitch. You only use the Special Class No section if you are entering at say, a Specialty Show, which may offer classes for Best Headed, Best Gaited etc.

I haven't entered a sweepies class for a loooong time but we used to have to provide one entry form per class entered so unless the rules have changed, if you are entering 3 - 6 S/S you need to fill out another entry form.

You don't need to worry about referring to the Utility Group anywhere because the show secretary will be able to ascertain that by what breed you write on the top of the form.

Can someone clarify the ettiquette of dogs around the ring?

We were at a specialty show over Easter to cheer on a friend and take photographs. So when it was time, we set up about 2m from the ring rope. My dog was lying on the ground in the deep grass, facing away from the ring chewing on a stick.

While we were watching - an exhibitor pointed at me, then gestured that I needed to move further away from the ring - mouthing "move the small dog". The exhibitor looked quite angry.

We moved back another 2m, Ziva then laid back down and kept chewing on the stick.

Some other exhibitors told me I shouldn't have moved, it was the exhibitor's job to keep the attention of their dog in the ring and my dog wasn't doing anything to draw attention to herself.

We've been at all breeds shows where I've seen plenty of dogs around the ring - so I wasn't sure on what the correct ettiquette is. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Don't worry about it stonecutter. As you say in all breeds you often have dogs camped right on the ringside. My greyhounds might have thought Ziva was a rabbit but that would have got them up on their toes and looking very alert :D

I personally wanted to throttle the kids playing in the empty ring next to ours while we were in for Puppy in Show. No way I would have let my kids do it. They certainly did distract my boy but thankfully it made no difference to the judge.

• Troy unpinned this topic