Cordless Trimmers/clippers

I am after something to do greyhound whiskers and skirts for the show ring. What would the groomers here recommend? I notice there are some Wahl ones on eBay but not sure which would be the better one.

:rolleyes: Woi you trim dem whiskers for Rebanne? :) That rotten PPS has got to you hasn't she.

:wink:

I am after something to do greyhound whiskers and skirts for the show ring. What would the groomers here recommend? I notice there are some Wahl ones on eBay but not sure which would be the better one.

:) Woi you trim dem whiskers for Rebanne? :( That rotten PPS has got to you hasn't she.

:wink:

I know, I know :rolleyes: Not sure that I can blame PPS, I first did it for the Royal last year, but maybe some of her rantings talk did sink in. I confess I couldn't believe how much difference trimming the skirt makes, I really like that look, so I tried the whiskers off as well and it's okay.

I know I sound really really dumb :rolleyes: but .... Do you just trim the whiskers or cut them off all together and should I be doing this??? And as a greyhound is short coated how do you trim the skirt??

Sorry but you've really got me intriged and I'm wondering whether I should be doing something similar with my girl :)

I know I sound really really dumb :rolleyes: but .... Do you just trim the whiskers or cut them off all together and should I be doing this??? And as a greyhound is short coated how do you trim the skirt??

Sorry but you've really got me intriged and I'm wondering whether I should be doing something similar with my girl :)

I'm no expert but lots of people told me I should cut the whiskers off. I resisted for the 1st two years then did cut them off. I don't think it made much difference personally. But trimming the skirt, in my eyes did. The line looked so much cleaner. I call that flap of skin from the hind leg to the belly the skirt. I call the furnishing down the hind legs the petticoat. I quite likely am using the wrong words but oh well :( Apparently I should also trim the petticoats as there is the odd hair that sticks out a smidge but I haven't been that game yet.

[ I'm no expert but lots of people told me I should cut the whiskers off. I resisted for the 1st two years then did cut them off. I don't think it made much difference personally. But trimming the skirt, in my eyes did. The line looked so much cleaner. I call that flap of skin from the hind leg to the belly the skirt. I call the furnishing down the hind legs the petticoat. I quite likely am using the wrong words but oh well :rolleyes: Apparently I should also trim the petticoats as there is the odd hair that sticks out a smidge but I haven't been that game yet.

Thanks Rebanne, I will have to look at the other dogs at the Hound Club this weekend.

And yes I call it the skirt too :)

I've got the little Wahl pocket pro, but only use them for the tuck and tails, I use whisker whackers from Lea ( pm her ) to do the whiskers. I find that clippers take hair off the face and I think they bring on grey hairs quickly.

I've got the Sheer Magic clippers and they are going well. Have used them on the border collies, horses and Birman cats! Would buy another pair.

I did buy one of the Sheer Magic clippers and as they don't even work when plugged in, let alone hold any sort of charge I'm afraid I am not impressed. They are being returned on the weekend to the place I bought them from.

I've got the little Wahl pocket pro, but only use them for the tuck and tails, I use whisker whackers from Lea ( pm her ) to do the whiskers. I find that clippers take hair off the face and I think they bring on grey hairs quickly.

Well I did wonder about the whiskers and giving too close a shave, I've only used scissors up till now. Except for a quick go the other day. I might stick with the scissors until I can see a whisker whacker up close, some people like them, some don't. I like the look of the pocket pro. I've only used clippers once on the tuck/skirt but it was so much easier to do them then using the scissors.

Well I did wonder about the whiskers and giving too close a shave, I've only used scissors up till now. Except for a quick go the other day. I might stick with the scissors until I can see a whisker whacker up close, some people like them, some don't. I like the look of the pocket pro. I've only used clippers once on the tuck/skirt but it was so much easier to do them then using the scissors.

Dare you to try a clothing lint remover. :thumbsup:

What IS a whisker whacker??

I do mine (and the dogs) with the clippers I bought from Colin for $100 with a #10 blade. I think a finer blade would be better, but haven't got around to that yet.

Funny how it's different for hound breeds that are from the same family.

I asked the question about taking whiskers off on a large international Saluki list once and was overwhelmed with replies saying "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THOSE WHISKERS, SALUKI PEOPLE DO NOT TAKE WHISKERS OFF"

I wonder sometimes if other hound judges think we are being lazy or messy, but sod it, the whiskers stay on ;)

as there are so few greyhounds around I don't have many people to ask or compare things with. ;) I was going by the whippet people and what they did. Hmm her next show is in a fortnight, might let them grow back, would be easier. But I still want something to do the skirt bit.

I would just go for a cheap pair of clippers from a pet store, no need to spend out dollars on a set that are able to do more then you need (it would be like buying a 4x4 to only drive to the corner shop).

Your dog should be glad she isn't a schnauzer, we pull out the whiskers!

I would just go for a cheap pair of clippers from a pet store, no need to spend out dollars on a set that are able to do more then you need (it would be like buying a 4x4 to only drive to the corner shop).

Your dog should be glad she isn't a schnauzer, we pull out the whiskers!

Buy a quality pair of clippers and they will perform well and last for years. Buy Chinese made no name clippers and they will end up in the bottom drawer and never used. A few years ago they sold the Dr Harry specials (made in China), they are total rubbish and you cannot get parts or blades.

I've still got my £20 pair that were bought in the 80's and still in working condition, just not powerful enough for daily use in the shop - handy for nervous 1st time pups though. What about a hair dressers supply shop?

I have a pair of Moser Arco cordless and they are great. It is an adjustable blade from #9 to #40 and I have done my standrad poodle pups f,f & t with them for about 6 months and not needed to replace the blade yet.

Can't remember how much they were, something like $150 I think.

They are light, quiet and don't heat up real quick. Yep I love them :laugh: