Indestructible Chew Toys

toby'smum

I am glad to have read this post, I am getting a black male lab the first weeknd in June and I am worried about what toys to get him, surely the stuffed toys with squeeky things in cant be too safe as they could choke on the squeek bit if they get to it?

After having multiple soft squeaky toys shredded I bought the tuffie octopus which is still a squeaker but is a lot harder for her to rip apart - evidence is that we still have it and there are no holes!

Tuffie Octopus

ETA: Sorry just read that your dog demolished your tuffie - do you know what rating it was on the "tuff" scale?

I bought the one with eight legs for small to medium dogs but she still hasn't managed to get in and pull out the squeakers but I know there is one that is designed for bigger dogs that has five legs.

The octopus is the only 'soft' toy that we have now, the other toys we have are more treat based toys such as kongs, buster cube, busy buddy bone and the home alone.

Edited by Adele

.... maybe...

while he is indoors like that- it can be used as a learning time.. how to sit/lie quietly without constantly chewing :scold:

It can also be a time when he has his feet/ears/mouth check, and a massage.. leaving him relaxed and more inclined to just rest....he doesn't 'have' to chew all day and night....

After having multiple soft squeaky toys shredded I bought the tuffie octopus which is still a squeaker but is a lot harder for her to rip apart - evidence is that we still have it and there are no holes!

Tuffie Octopus

ETA: Sorry just read that your dog demolished your tuffie - do you know what rating it was on the "tuff" scale?

I bought the one with eight legs for small to medium dogs but she still hasn't managed to get in and pull out the squeakers but I know there is one that is designed for bigger dogs that has five legs.

The octopus is the only 'soft' toy that we have now, the other toys we have are more treat based toys such as kongs, buster cube, busy buddy bone and the home alone.

It was the 'Rumble Ring' and the Tuffie scale was 9!

.... maybe...

while he is indoors like that- it can be used as a learning time.. how to sit/lie quietly without constantly chewing :scold:

It can also be a time when he has his feet/ears/mouth check, and a massage.. leaving him relaxed and more inclined to just rest....he doesn't 'have' to chew all day and night....

Yes, maybe you're right - he doesn't have to chew night and day. The massage idea is a good one, although I'm not sure if my creaking joints will tolerate sitting on the floor in the evening! Toby is now weighing 23+kg and previous massages have resulted in him clambering on top of me and getting a bit excited (his testosterone levels are increasing as he hasn't been desexed yet!!)

Maybe I'll have to spend more time wearing him out during the day.......

Can definitely recommend an aussie toy - especially the one that is hung up and has treats in it. Not only is it tough, but provides hours of fun for a dog that is motivated by food. Considering yours is a lab, would definitely give the aussie home alone toy, two thumbs up. :hug::hug:

Tilly likes to destroy toys too, so I have to be more selective with what I buy now.

I bought the toy pictured below from Kmart for about $10 and she loves it and hasn't been able to eat her way through it. I've also seen them at Woolworths.

Would your lab be able to destroy a toy like that?

post-6954-1241000713_thumb.jpg

I would not recommend this one, my ridgie got her foot stuck in this one & could not get it off herself. :laugh:

I was really disappointed in the Tuffie toys as well. My girl had one of the large rings, rating of 9, and it lasted 20 hours (including overnight LOL). I gave another ring (rating of 10) to a friend who owns a boy i bred and it lasted 20 minutes. Should have flushed $70 down the toilet LOL

Not industructable, but last awhile and very cheap . . .

I sometimes give my puppies cheap paint rollers. They love the texture, and the shape is great for throwing or mouthy games. You can put a rope through them, or p'nut butter inside for variety.

My beagle is really destructive too. She chews up anything plastic/rubber, but the only toys she hasn't been able to completely destroy at the "Bad Cuz" squeaky balls and the rubber Leo toys. They have some small parts missing and plenty of teeth marks, but they're still in working order!

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1071

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1214

If I smear peanut butter etc on the inside of the traditional kong won't that just frustrate him as he won't actually get anything out?

I have a little lab, she's still only young but I give her a "puppy kong" with peanut butter and dried dog food and she loves it and even when its empty she now associates the kong with good stuff and will chew on it. I don't find she gets frustrated at all. infact its like a game to her. I also try make it fun by using it as a fetch toy. I know of german shepards to chew the black "extreme" kong XL which are still intact. dicount department stores tend to be a bit cheaper than pet shops because they can be rather expensive toys.

Or I also make what i call the "ghetto kong". i get a plastic soft drink bottle (i use a 600ml for my pup but would use a 1.25L for an older dog) and cut the end where the ring is off so she cant chew on that and add a few bits of food and my pup will spend ages trying to get the food out and loves the sound it makes when she chews it. they don't last heaps long but REALLY cheap (10c if you live in SA!)

Another thing i find useful, BONES! plus its good for their teeth and nutrition!

These are just a few examples from my own experience but I guess all dogs are different. good luck and all the best! :cheer:

Edited by black sooty

The tuffy's are tough, but are certainly not indestructible. If a dog wants to rip it to bits, then they will.

Riley has a Mega ring (10 on the tuff scale) and its been going for 8 months. He just put a hole in the first layer of material last week. He still plays with it every day though.

I have given him tuffy's which are 7 and 8's before and they didn't last a day. Saying that though, Ive had great feedback from customers who have purchased the same tuffys and have had great success with them.

I sell the tuffy's and think they are a awesome product, however Ill be honest with people when asked and will say yes, some dogs will rip them to bits, but at the same time, they are still a hell of a lot tougher than your average soft toy.

Every dog is different, some will rip them up, others wont.

Im also fans of the kongs with frozen peanut butter inside, and solid rubber balls also work well for big chewers.

Wagsalot - just for information sake the thing I found interesting with the two tuffies I have is that they seemed to actually encourage the dog to kill them whereas normal standard soft toys get played with and not killed.

Wagsalot - just for information sake the thing I found interesting with the two tuffies I have is that they seemed to actually encourage the dog to kill them whereas normal standard soft toys get played with and not killed.

I found the opposite with Riley. Once he realised it wasn't so easy to rip to shreads, he stopped trying to rip it apart as much and played with it more.

We play tug with the ring with him, and fetch. He'll run around and grab it, chew on it for a bit, shake it around, chew a bit more then chucks it and races after it etc. It gets used as a play toy more than a chew toy now which is what we wanted.

Taken from the tuffy website

These toys are designed for play and are NOT a bone. The toy should not be ingested. Toys are meant for you and your pet to enjoy together, do not allow your pet to play with this toy unsupervised.

As I said every dog is different - you just need to work out what works best for you dog and go with it.