Puncture To Top Of Foot

My Dobe boy has just limped up to me with a puncture wound to the top of his hind foot.

It is a hole about 2cm that is oozing and it must be very sore as he won't put the foot on the ground.

It wasn't there this morning so I presume he has stuck something into it in the last few hours. I am surprised that it is oozing & I am thinking that he must have been galloping around (as he does) and stuck a stick into it but it is strange to get an injury on top of the foot like that.

Any suggestions on how to treat it would be appreciated as I don't often have to do first aide??

My Dobe boy has just limped up to me with a puncture wound to the top of his hind foot.

It is a hole about 2cm that is oozing and it must be very sore as he won't put the foot on the ground.

It wasn't there this morning so I presume he has stuck something into it in the last few hours. I am surprised that it is oozing & I am thinking that he must have been galloping around (as he does) and stuck a stick into it but it is strange to get an injury on top of the foot like that.

Any suggestions on how to treat it would be appreciated as I don't often have to do first aide??

Are you sure its not something that has gone right through his foot between his pads. There might be an entry wound underneath.

Does it look big enough for a stitch.

I would bathe in dettol for starters and gently dry to get a better look at the wound. Make sure there is still nothing in there.

I had a look underneath as that was my first thought too but couldn't see anything.

He is such an oof and tends to just plough through things when he runs but it has me mystified as to how he could have injured himself in that place.

It looks like a bullet hole but I should think that was highly unlikely although we do live in a rural area.

I had a look underneath as that was my first thought too but couldn't see anything.

He is such an oof and tends to just plough through things when he runs but it has me mystified as to how he could have injured himself in that place.

It looks like a bullet hole but I should think that was highly unlikely although we do live in a rural area.

Have you got any wire fences that he may of put his foot under and then wrenched it up maybe some wire has gone through it.

How deep does the wound look?

No fence wires that I am aware of - I am very careful about that kind of thing around the dogs - but the wound is too big for a wire puncture I think.

All the area under the hole is now swollen and the hole is dripping clearish liquid on a continuous basis.

I would have thought it would have coagulated by now. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen a wound drip clearish liquid - have you?

It is obviously very painful as he won't put it on the ground.

I have felt all the associated bones and they seem OK.

I have sprayed it with Betadine as I don't have any dettol but he keeps licking it off. Yuk!

I guess all I can do is watch it and see how it is by tomorrow.

It sounds like the wound is infected, particularly if the dog is not bearing weight on the foot. You need anti-biotics for this type of injury. Puncture wounds are much more insidious than big gash type wounds. If the joint becomes infected you are in big trouble!

If there is a puncture the dog needs internal antibiotics, I think- betadine won't do it :thumbsup:

make up a quite salty solution with boiled and still warm (not hot.. but warmer than blood temp)

put it in a jar or contained which is narrow and deep enough to completely cover the foot.. and go a little way up the leg too.

insert wounded foot.. and keep it there for about 5 minutes.

Dry carefully.

This will at least get something into the tissues....

Edited by persephone

I would bathe the area (maybe with some warm salty water) and have a good look. Is the wound area swollen? Is the edges of the wound red? Is the foot hot to touch? Is the foot sore to touch - if it has been caught up then he might have yanked his foot and maybe even broken something or just badly bruised. Is there something in the wound?

Personally I would be off to the vet to get it checked.

Maybe look at putting the betadine and then covering the wound in a non-stick pad and some of that dressing that sticks to itself (cohesive dressing) - to help keep it clean.

Edited by Tilly

It's not a grass seed on its way out is it? The can leave an enormous hole behind them. I'd bathe it in salt water. Have you tried squeezing it to see if there's anything in there?

Beat me to it Miranda! I had a boy with a oozy hole suddenly appear above the toes on a front foot. Bathed it, had a poke around in it and found a grass seed on it's way out. Removed it with tweezers, sprayed some Debrasol (? sp) bathed daily and it came good.

Puncture wounds are much more insidious than big gash type wounds. If the joint becomes infected you are in big trouble!

This is what the vet told me when my dobe had a puncture in one of his legs, funnily enough at the same time he got a very large gash down the side and they were more concerned about the puncture because of the risk of infection near the joint.

I'd be off to the vet just to be safe.

Wounds such as this I would wash in warm salty water. Gets into all the areas. Sounds like an irritation causing infection like others have said maybe a grass seed.

If I am taking anything to the vet I do not put any betadine etc on it so the vet can get a clear look at the wound.

Hope all is well.

I would definately get it looked at as there is not much "meat" in the foot and the risk of injury to bone, nerves and tendons is high.

The clear discharge could be a serous discharge or - depending on how much- there is always the risk of it being joint fluid if a joint capsule has been opened. If that is the case it is a big problem. I would salt water it, a light spray of betadine and wrap it until you can get to a vet so there is not a danger of more foreign material being pushed into it.

Have you been to the Vet yet STITCH? Any news? Hope all is ok. I agree with others - I would have had him to the Vet too. Two CM's is a big wound and the fact that it is discharging would represent a big concern to me.