Professional Grooming

stargazer

Hello all,

first time using this forum (or any forum), so forgive me if I muck it up. I have 3 beautiful Shih Tzu girls. I really enjoy the grooming and would like to find out about doing a professional grooming course. Can anyone advise me the best ways to go about this? Thanks for any help given :)

I have learned off a job training provider "If you don't get a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree from doing a course, it's not worth wasting your money on". OK then, pity I'd already started the "Animal Care" course through Thomson Education Direct before I was told that (It's only Statement of Attainment). On saying that, I hope you can learn from my mistakes... Check out this site for courses. When I enquired a while back, they were pretty darn cheap, especially compared to Thomson Education Direct (who have raised their prices at LEAST $100/course within the last year) :) Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.petcarecourses.com

Hope it helps. If you can find someone in your area who owns a grooming salon, ask to do volunteer work there before you start out. It's not all fun and games working with animals. If they like you, they might even let you do a traineeship with them.

-WithEverythingIAm

:laugh: I agree with what NicoleL and witheverythingiam have just said...

If you're really keen though you might want to look at taking up a franchise with Aussie Pooch Mobile. They offer a comprehensive traineeship and you get all the equipment you need to launch your own little business!

Other places you could check out are Jims Dog Wash [and yes - this is the same company that has the lawn mowing/landscaping franchises!]

Box Hill Tafe also run two day grooming courses for the ones who are really interested in learning all you need to know about how to groom your pooch at home. Course costs $285 and their number is 03 92869490.

There are also a handful of grooming courses you can do via correspondence but like witheverythingiam has said - if its not accredited - its a waste of money [unless of course you wanna do it to attain skills and knowledge etc etc..].

I do know that the fellow who runs the Box Hill Tafe course is working on developing a nationally accredited course - Certificate IV in Training and Animal Services which would fulfill a need to train professional groomers and create an industry standard like what they have in countries like the the US of A.

Good luck and hope this helps.. :laugh:

It cost you minimum of $20.000 to buy into APM depending on wether you buy an eccisting area or a new area and yes I feel it is worth it. We go to your house, was the dog, clip the nails if nessecary, wash the dog in enviromently friendly products specially develloped for APM, clean ears and eyes partial blow dry, deodorant, brush, treat, optional aroma therapie, full blow dry (depending on your area, down south it is included in the prize) and medicated shampoos.

Every fransise cost that much to buy into. I think hydrodog is even more expensive. APM has a proven system that works now for 14 yrs and is the first francise in this area (grooming) and also the largest in

Australia maybe even in the world.

We dont clip and the good thing is that we can predict how long a job takes while if you clip you can't. What means that you can wash up to 25-30 dogs a day, depending on dogs, travel time ect.

Forgot to add,

In the prize is following included:

fully equiped trailer

compulsery training,

uniform

if you buy a new area $700 p/w garanteed income for 10 wks incl. up to $3000 for advertising

your own exclusive area

For more info contact Mark Walham on 1300 369369 He is more than happy to have a talk and send you some free info. This way you can make up yourself wether it is worth it.

Sorry all to butt in

Dali-love I can predict almost exactly how long it will take to bath, dry, clip, cut nails, pluckears and do anal glands as soon as I see a dog.

I personaly would not pay for a mobile dog wash as they do not have a very good reputation and you make a lot more money in a shop if you are willing to learn all aspects (ie clipping) but this cannot be done overnight or with a 2day course.

Sorry all to butt in

Dali-love I can predict almost exactly how long it will take to bath, dry, clip, cut nails, pluckears and do anal glands as soon as I see a dog.

The problem starts if you make a phone booking in where you can't see the dog.

I know a there are a lot of hopeless mobile groomers out there. We call them backyarders. you see them coming out in spring and hybernate over winter. There are only very few really proffesionals. APM is one of them (and I think the best :thumbsup: ), Hydrodog and James are others. Even within these organisations you have "rotten apples" therefor at APM you get a check every year to see wether you are still up to scratch.

No offence but you also have rotten groomers working in salons. I love my job and am glad to hear you love yours :D

• 1 year later...

Hi Thumbsup,

I have recently heard that Doggy Dooz in Seddon are offering 2 different courses, one is a simple 3 hour course where you take your dog and the Instructor teaches you to groom your own dog, you receive a DIY dog grooming DVD and have your dog groomed or you can do the 2nd course which is a 5 day course (or longer if you require extra time). The beauty of this course is it is one on one, not in a class room and the instructor spends the day with you going through different breeds,equipment etc. You also get the dvd with this course. The website is www.doggydooz.com.au

Goodluck.

Germ

groomed and

Hello all,

first time using this forum (or any forum), so forgive me if I muck it up. I have 3 beautiful Shih Tzu girls. I really enjoy the grooming and would like to find out about doing a professional grooming course. Can anyone advise me the best ways to go about this? Thanks for any help given :)

I just thought I'd add that grooming dogs can be a backbreaking, frustrating, thankless job at times, just because you enjoy grooming your own dogs don't assume that you will enjoy grooming other people's. You will have to groom some absolute nightmares, some dogs will be matted to the skin, covered in sores and fleas and some dogs will attempt to bite you (and some may succeed). I have seen dogs that were actually flyblown and I've seen a cocker spaniel that was so matted that it was unable to defecate due to the hair blocking its anus.

Also remember that you are dealing with members of the public some of whom have little or no idea of how to treat and care for their dogs and have little interest in learning. If you've got a reasonably strong stomach and enjoy trying to get through to ignorant pet owners who don't want to know then it's probably an ideal job for you, if not then I would think again.

Of course a lot of the dogs and owners are fine and if you get a regular clientele happening it's much easier, but please be aware that it's not the easiest job in the world and if you truly love dogs it can also be extremely upsetting.

I groom my own long coated dogs but there is no way that I'd want to do professional grooming and deal with other people's neglect which sometimes amounts to cruelty.

I rang some franchises to get some prices. Before they would even GIVE me ANY prices, they asked me 101 questions, some being personal and unresonable to be asked. And then they just said 'sorry there are none in your area, so I cant help you'......

:shhh: Miranda

Grooming is a great job if you have good regular clients, who actually look after their dogs.

I have done a few shockers in my time, some are flea riddled and matted to the skin. Usually this is only due to a naive client, and you must be prepared to give advice on regular flea control, teach them how to brush and care for their dog correctly.

I have also been badly bitten on a couple of occasions. :(

My advice would be to start out in a grooming parlour and learn the ropes there before buying into a franchise. Good luck. :)

Roxiekda, Your poms are absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by schnauzer

It cost you minimum of $20.000 to buy into APM depending on wether you buy an eccisting area or a new area and yes I feel it is worth it. We go to your house, was the dog, clip the nails if nessecary, wash the dog in enviromently friendly products specially develloped for APM, clean ears and eyes partial blow dry, deodorant, brush, treat, optional aroma therapie, full blow dry (depending on your area, down south it is included in the prize) and medicated shampoos.

Every fransise cost that much to buy into. I think hydrodog is even more expensive. APM has a proven system that works now for 14 yrs and is the first francise in this area (grooming) and also the largest in

Australia maybe even in the world.

We dont clip and the good thing is that we can predict how long a job takes while if you clip you can't. What means that you can wash up to 25-30 dogs a day, depending on dogs, travel time ect.

Its a bit more than 20 grand here in sydney for a new area, even more for an established one. (the way to go tho i feel, if you can, as you have a good list of clients/goodwill to start off with). The income guarantee for the first 10 weeks is good tho. Work hard on the marketing and by the end you will be making that amount, which is the idea.

At the last franchise expo i went to (last year) hydrodog was about the same as an APM. They also have these awesome trailers now shaped like a dog, although i am a bit dubious of the size of the tub. Good grooming setup tho. And enclosed trailer, so i guess you could get air con to deal with humidity. Not sure a giant breed would fit in - however i stand to be corrected.

Yes, the APM system works well, i have been an APM franchisee for over 5 years and i love it.

We dont do clipping, tho do other general grooming - brushing out, coat stripping, face/feet trimming, nails, etc.

Stargazer, sounds like you would be more into the grooming side of it. Why not, if a franchise is too exy, set up somethign and work from home? I know there are a few home groomers around my area, and they seem to do quite well. If it takes off as you want it to, then you could move up to a salon. If i was going into full grooming, i wouldnt do it mobile - the weather is too much of a factor. I know how hard it is to blow dry a dog completely dry on a rainy or even a humid day - pretty much impossible.

Dali, 25-30 dogs a day - wow, if you're doing that then kudos to you! I'd be absolutely buggered doing that 5-6 days a week! How do you manage? i average about half hour per dog, some take longer, and some are less. But add in drive time, thats a pretty good average. 30 dogs would be a 15 hour day! Mark and Chris must LOVE you!!!

I adore my job, very flexible hours, great clients, and i play with doggies all day. Very rewarding too, when you start off with a dog terrified of the bath, and after a few baths they start getting used to it and even enjoying it. The owners love that i treat their pups as i would my own.

Anyway, getting back to OP topic, Stargazer, if you are going to go it alone, then i would recommend doing some 'voluntary' work experience at a salon but not in the area you want to work - they will see you as competition. Find somewhere where your client areas wont clash, tell them what you want to do, and see what happens. You will get a good idea of what is required to start up. IF you choose to go with a franchise, read the contract then read it again. OF course a franchise would be more expensive to set up, however you have the advantage of a proven system (depending on who you choose) and great support, national advertising etc.

Good luck with it.

The Australian School of Pet care

- both DIY/Prof. grooming course ph: 08 9301 1559

[email protected]

Also visit www.thomsoneducationdirect.com.au

There's a grooming correspondence course (learn at home)

I was doing a course through the aust school of petcare, but didnt think it was worth it so gave it up half way through - thinking of it..no one actually ever called to see how I was going.

Thomson education is good for starting off - Ive done SOA in animal care and am during the pet obedience one now through them. Great learning materials and enjoyable to do. They also have good tutors that are able to help you through the course.