Full-on Scary Puppy

devonrexcatz

Hi everyone

I have only posted one reply on this forum but have read every topic with interest. So now it's my turn to ask for advice.

I have a 6 month old male (now desexed) Dachshund puppy named Justin. I have had him since he was 6 weeks old. He is the second Dachie I've owned: my last boy died over a year ago aged 14.

The most worrisome problem with Justin is that he insists on biting everything (including us), and baring his teeth; he's become frightening at times and has jumped up to my 2 year old grandson's face and nipped at him a few times. He even has a go at me occasionally. When he does this I put him on his lead and say NO! I think it's becoming a bit of a joke with Justin; he doesn't seem to be perturbed at all. I know my grandson has caused Justin grief at times being a 2 year old, but we have tried, and am still teaching him, that pets are to be treated with respect and kindness. It seems to be a battle of wills between the two of them at times.

Justin also becomes fanatical when I am out of his sight so much so that he howls and barks till he can see me again. If he is outside in the sun and he knows I am inside he is fine, but if I leave the house to go shopping or go to work, he carries on. If I show him the citronella collar he stops barking but I don't leave it on him when I leave the house. I am told he cries and barks when I'm away. He used to be in my room behind a baby barrier during the day for certain periods so he could see me but started ripping my things to bits; 2 1st edition antique books, my clock and my sheets from the bed to name a few things. He has many play toys and I interact with him A LOT. I came home one day from shopping and he had pulled the whole outside screen door off its hinges; he has ripped the screen to shreds. He jumps on the furniture and terrorises the cats when inside so now when he is inside, which is quite regularly, I put him on a lead with his bed close by. When I arrive home he is so excited he pees himself. He loves walks and gets many of them although he has stitches from being desexed and can not walk for another few days. I only work casually so we are together for long periods each day.

I am at desperation point. I live with my daughter and my grandson plus 4 indoor cats. Justin has a sweet nature most of the time but I feel he wants total control over us. He sleeps under my bed at night in a non-chewable bed and is a perfect angel then but when the sun rises and the family gets up Justin becomes a Hyde dog. My daughter says I am too soft with him but I don't think I am. I watch the Dog Whisperer and have spent hours on the internet researching these problems. Do we need the input of a dog trainer for Justin? My last Dachie was nothing like this but then my grandson wasn't in the equation then either. Any ideas?

Thankyou

Belinda :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin is the boss...........and it seems you are in need of urgent professional help.

If you tell us whereabouts you are (city/town) - someone will probably recommend you a trainer who can come to your home, see how things are, and give you one-on-one help ,and strategies for you to implement.

Agree with the above. Justin has established himself as the boss of the household and dislikes you (the underling) "daring" to leave his sight or confining him where he doesn't want to be...

Get a trainer to come to your house and look at the issues, but at his age it really shouldn't be too difficult to change his view of the world. Good luck!

I agree with what everyone has said.

He sees himself as pack leader and you have been relegated to follower and this is something you have inadvertantly allowed to happen.

For a start, he should not be allowed on furniture or the bed (presuming you have been allowing this) and stopped from say, walking through the door before you, or forging ahead, as these are all priviledges accorded to the pack leader (in a dogs mind).

Also, he should be stopped from coming in contact with children or made to sit away from them and not interact - and this must be enforced.

He should be taken to dog training classes so that he learns to follow and not lead and you can get some help.

This problem if not addressed will only escalate - time for some serious tough love - not cruelty, but you need to teach him his correct place in your family and the correct behaviour you expect from him!!

You say you feel that he has total control and by the sound of it he does - but you can just as easily take control back from him and the thing is, he will be a happier dog if you do.

Leader Up!!!! :)

Edited by STITCH

Thanks for the input everyone.

We live at Forest Lake in Brisbane, 4078.

To answer Stitch, Justin is definitely not allowed on furniture or on my bed...he sleeps under my bed though. He wants to get onto the furniture because he knows it's not allowed, I'm sure. He attacks the cats because he knows it's not allowed. It's a continual pattern and I can just see him waiting for us to chastise him.

It's a funny thing that we were so tuned in to getting a new puppy and had had so many strategies in place to have him as an amiable and lovable member of our family. We knew about pack leaders and how NOT to let the family dog become one. I just don't know where we went wrong. I do apply "tough love" when needed but he just smirks at me I'm sure.

Thankyou

Belinda

He wants to get onto the furniture because he knows it's not allowed, I'm sure. He attacks the cats because he knows it's not allowed. It's a continual pattern and I can just see him waiting for us to chastise him.

:laugh:

i doubt whether a 6 mth old pup has all these thoughts running thru his head.

he is doing all these things, because he has not learnt the rules!

Whatever methods you are using haven't been taken on board by him- hence the need for a professional's help .

You are right- you have set patterns.. and as he is still a youngster, new ones shouldn't be too difficult to install! :)

Chastising doesn't work- as you have found out....and it's hard work .

Setting rules, and working on perfecting the dog's understanding of them is a better use of energy in the long run :vomit:

He wants to get onto the furniture because he knows it's not allowed, I'm sure. He attacks the cats because he knows it's not allowed. It's a continual pattern and I can just see him waiting for us to chastise him.

:laugh:

i doubt whether a 6 mth old pup has all these thoughts running thru his head.

he is doing all these things, because he has not learnt the rules!

Whatever methods you are using haven't been taken on board by him- hence the need for a professional's help .

You are right- you have set patterns.. and as he is still a youngster, new ones shouldn't be too difficult to install! :)

Chastising doesn't work- as you have found out....and it's hard work .

Setting rules, and working on perfecting the dog's understanding of them is a better use of energy in the long run :vomit:

I agree...when I wrote that I thought surely he is not all that knowing, but believe me, he 'appears' to know.

Thanks for reassuring me that new behaviours can be learned. I certainly want this to happen before my daughter says Justin has to go.

If you are looking for a trainer in Brissy I would recommend Jane Harper, I am not sure if she travels but if she doesn't (I think she's on the north side) then I am sure she knows someone to recommend to you. I can PM her contact details if you are interested.

Agree with the other posters. You need professional help and now. Don't call Bark Busters.. go with someone recommended here.

Dachshunds are terriers... quick to react, quick to chase and not renowned for their tolerance of children. In addition to getting profesisonal help you need to ensure that Justin is never put in a position where he needs to defend himself from your grandson.

He should be supervised or separated from him.. always.

If you are looking for a trainer in Brissy I would recommend Jane Harper, I am not sure if she travels but if she doesn't (I think she's on the north side) then I am sure she knows someone to recommend to you. I can PM her contact details if you are interested.

Hi Seita

Thankyou for your support. I have responded to a member who takes her pup to classes near to me so I may try Justin there. She has been having success with this group so it is promising. There is also a book which has been recommended so I'll get stuck into that for an insight into my pup's thinking. Regardless, I would be grateful to have Jane Harper's contact details...

Kind Regards

I can recommend Wagtails for either some group training or one on one training. they are at Sumner Park which would be handy for you. Tabitha is excellent. They are at: http://www.wagtails.com.au/

cheers

taffydog

Thankyou taffydog...wow, I am so overwhelmed by all the support form so many kind people.

I will check out the website. Yes Sumner Park is close and my younger daughter lives there!

Cheers

Sounds like little Justin - great name btw :D - is a bit of a handful. Our dachie is also a very strong willed girl who would definitely turn into a monster if she ever gained the upper hand. Good luck with the trainer.

:) I would love to see pics of him. Is he a smooth or long coat, standard or mini? We have a black and tan standard (smooth). Great little dogs.

Sounds like little Justin - great name btw :( - is a bit of a handful. Our dachie is also a very strong willed girl who would definitely turn into a monster if she ever gained the upper hand. Good luck with the trainer.

:banghead: I would love to see pics of him. Is he a smooth or long coat, standard or mini? We have a black and tan standard (smooth). Great little dogs.

Hi there lizandel

Thankyou re: his name. When I told my daughter I was calling our new puppy Justin she just about had a fit but after 6 months we couldn't see him as anyone else.

Yes I know all about those strong-willed Dachie natures as my last one was very much so; but not like Justin; Brandon was a gentle dog; although he did not like children I feel that this was his only vice (oh plus he was lousy to walk on the lead). But Justin is just an utter ratbag when he wants to be...

Justin is a standard short-haired black and tan. He is a beautiful boy; there is no doubt about it. Strange, I have tried to post photos of him onto this site before without success but I will give it another go today. I think my pics have been too large.

Cheers

Belinda :laugh:

I have a 6 month old male (now desexed) Dachshund puppy named Justin. I have had him since he was 6 weeks old.

You never taught your puppy bite inhibition - he was taken away from his litter WAY too early and now you see why it is better to leave them to learn about biting and manners from other dogs. Wrong breed for early separation.

crack down on him, get tough and take away the treats.

You need to get him used to handling, bite inhibition, manners and respect. Time for boot camp on this dog. Not only have you over babied him but he does not get the right punishment to fit the crime -

he's become frightening at times and has jumped up to my 2 year old grandson's face and nipped at him a few times. He even has a go at me occasionally. When he does this I put him on his lead and say NO! I think it's becoming a bit of a joke with Justin;

If your grandson went and punched another child in the face would you simply go 'no' .... As soon as he makes his move to bite grab him by the scruff swiftly, hold him and GRRRR NO as loud as you can. Hold him until he submits and calms down JUST like his mother would of between 5-8 weeks of age - and he will squeal, wriggle, scream, fuss, sook but you have had children and you should know what a tantrum looks like :banghead: dogs will throw tantrums as good as the most spoiled toddler and that is how your dog is behaving. You keep hold until that tantrum is over and then ignore him for a while. Its now your job to teach him to become a dog.

Teach him it is BEYOND unacceptable to even think about this behavior or he will become another one of those dogs at the vet that 'just bit the child and we dont know why'

get a realistic trainer that will teach the dog right from wrong not treat it within an inch of its life. Manners are an intrinsic part of the dogs life and real leadership doesnt require a pocket full of treats at all times. There are things that are just never ever done by a dog.

Edited by Nekhbet

Nekbet:

If your grandson went and punched another child in the face would you simply go 'no' .... As soon as he makes his move to bite grab him by the scruff swiftly, hold him and GRRRR NO as loud as you can. Hold him until he submits and calms down JUST like his mother would of between 5-8 weeks of age - and he will squeal, wriggle, scream, fuss, sook but you have had children and you should know what a tantrum looks like dogs will throw tantrums as good as the most spoiled toddler and that is how your dog is behaving. You keep hold until that tantrum is over and then ignore him for a while. Its now your job to teach him to become a dog.

I don't think the OP should try this before getting one on one professional help. If she is scared of the dog at times NOW, one good bite could really create problems. Unless you are really committed and know what you're doing, I think a bite could happen.

Get a qualified professional in and in the meantime, act to PREVENT bites. Its way easier and far less dangerous.

its not easy to get bitten when holding by the scruff especially if the dog has a collar on. You can sit and sip a cup of tea while said ratbag throws a tantrum :banghead: but anyway ... up to the OP what they are comfortable with

I just hope any trainer that comes in teaches bite inhibition

Edited by Nekhbet

Please please be very careful how you deal with this. I had problems with a young pup and got poor advice - esp from a recommended behaviourist, so I offer you this from my own hindsight.

Remember your pup is the equivalent of a 5 yr old child and has all the inherent difficulties experienced at that age.

If you got your pup through a breeder, please contact the breeder. He/she will have considerable experience withthe breed and probably with dogs of the same temperament (esp if they are selling such young pups). I got the best advice from my breeder.

6 weeks is really young so it has missed out on some critical development and you may need to compensate. Like any child, the pup needs guidance as well as routine and boundries (and lots of hugs).

If you get a behaviourist make sure they have experience with pups - and if they start talking about adult dogs or recommending adult techniques - RUN!!! You can do long term damage, please dont use techniques designed for dealing with problem adult dogs.

Has your pup got somewhere 'safe' to go? Small children and small pups are not a good combination. So give the pup somewhere safe where he can go if he starts feeling 'threatened' where your grandson cannot get to him. That gives him another way to deal with his fear besides biting. But you will need to teach him to go there instead of biting.

Sounds like your pup is suffering from seperation anxiety - this is really common, you just need to give him something to occupy him like a kong.

Most of all dont forget the hugs and praise. Its easy to forget they need to know when they are doing the right thing so they can learn. Heaps of praise and affection will make him always want to do the right thing. He probably wants to even now but he needs your help to learn the right way.

Stick with it - it is worth it and this phase wont last long.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Edited by *caro