Bone Recommendation

Guest Pandii

Guest Pandii

Hello

I am after some recommendations for Dante ( rotti) in the bone are, her teeth are looking a bit yuck and I want some good bones to help clean them but dont want anything fatty as she is watching her weight

Thanks

Hi Pandii, saw your name and thought I'd pop in to see what you were chatting about. I suggest you go to the butcher and get some large knuckle bones. If they have some meat left on them all the better. They are big enough that Dante can't scoff them all at once and she will have the most wonderful time knawing on them.

Let's know how you go. :thumbsup:

Guest Pandii

Thank, I have found a great dog food place that does roo tails

Will get some knuckles as well, is this what I ask for??

I don't know that roo tails will last long with Dante and they can be expensive. I bought some Kangaroo Jerky (the meat which is cut in strips and dried) yesterday - it was quite expensive and even with my little dogs, it didn't last long.

Yes. Ask the butcher to show them to you and they look like the classic cartoon bone :thumbsup: with a big knob on either end and the straight bit in the middle. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Bone.jpg.doc

Edited by _Cynthia_

I wouldn't be giving a dog the size of a Rottweiler a knuckle bone. They have a lot of jaw power and those sorts of bones are from the long weight bearing parts of the animal so are extremely dense - put the two together and broken teeth are a big possibility

With my Staffords, who are also of the strong jaw persuasion LOL I find "fiddly" bones like the roo tail suggested are better - they have to work their jaws in and around the protrubant parts of the bones and this give them a whole-mouth workout. Lamb necks (whole, not chops) and ox tail (again, whole - not ready for the slow cooker) are the same sort of thing. Mine get chicken carcases virtually every day and these have the same effect - for a one off thing a couple isn't going to do much, but perhaps you would like to consider making them a permanent part of the diet. Some you might need to trim for the weight regime, most are OK.

I find that beef briskit bones are the best for teeth cleaning as they can be totally consumed

and allow the dog to chew on them even with their back teeth. I have two Dobermanns

(one is 7yrs old & one nearly 3) and their teeth are immaculate - I just took mine to vets for

check up & he commented that both their teeth were perfect.

I Personally avoid the large marrow bones like the knuckles as they can damage the teeth

because they are so hard and actually unchewable.

To really get the teeth healthy bones need to be incorporated into the diet daily. Some other

bones that are good are lamb necks/ lamb briskit / lamb breast flaps & even chicken frames whole.

If you can ask your butcher for Lamb Chine bones they are fantastic and very low in fat.

If you are worried about weight then feed bones and reduce some of the other food that you are

feeding, give the bones for breakfast - all the bones I have suggested are completely consumed

& therefore won't get buried and hidden for later - also discourages digging holes to hide them.

I also would avoid any bones or meat that is sold at the pet shop as they are not human grade meat

and may contain parasites - especially kangaroo.

The best way to help keep weight down is increase exercise - a good walk morning and evening

or an extra long walk once a day will help with weight and to keep the joints healthy.

I hope this helps

Beef brisket bones?

Your dog will be able to consume the whole thing, meat and bone included.

Lamb flaps are also good but obviously much fattier :eek:

eat: Tyra beat me to it :thumbsup:

Edited by SecretKei

Guest Pandii

thanks for the info

I have toruble feeding bones daily as I have 2 food aggressive dogs and it takes alot of supervision to keep the peace, I often feed most weekends as I am home to supervise

She does have excersise daily but has hip rpblems so excersise is at its maxium, she walks and swims daily, she is just a dog who only has to smell food and she pputs on weight.

She has chicken frames, but no chewing is involved even if they are frozen so they dont work.

A good knuckle/marrow bone will keep her happy

Kangeroo tails are ok, she has had then before but they only last a short while, how long would she have to chew on them to be of help to her teeth

Will be talking to the butcher, there are lots of good ideas here, thanks guys

I didn't think of the hardness of knuckly bones being a danger to teeth. I can just see in mind's eye dogs munching and scraping and twisting the bone this way and that and having a great time.

Roo tails might be a way to go for mine if they are loo fat. (Pancreatitis in the dog family :thumbsup: .)

I Personally avoid the large marrow bones like the knuckles as they can damage the teeth

because they are so hard and actually unchewable.

I totally agree.

Dogs should be able to consume the whole bone not just the meat.

Lamb flabs (lamb ribs) are a favourite here. Lots of crucnching and teeth cleaning occurs with them.

Reduce your dogs other food if they recieve a big bone.

Agree with the comments on the marrow/knuckle bones. They are weightbearing bones and very hard ( they have to hold up a heavy beef steer!) While they are marginally ok whole as the dogs can concentrate on the softer ends, they should never be cut up to expose hard artificial surfaces. Too many dogs break teeth on these hard bones.

For teeth cleaning they are not much use anyway as what you want is something that will 'brush' the teeth. To do this they need to be able to sink their teeth into the meat/bone up to the gumline (this is what will abrade the gunk off). This is why they call appropriate bones raw MEATY bones. It is the sinking of the teeth into the meat and softer bone etc that cleans teeth best. Meaty roo tails will be good. Beef brisket is excellent. Whole lamb necks are good (look around for leaner ones or cut the outer layer of fat off) and lamb flaps. Also pork hocks or trotters. The bigger the piece the better as this will require the dog to work more.

To help reduce the impact on weight gain, feed them instead of other food - eg replace the chicken or other things in the meal with these. A lamb neck or a piece of brisket can be fed AS the meal rather than in additon to. To stop fighting, feeding dogs in crates can help. Meaty bones like this can take a bit longer to eat, but should be eaten in their entirety. Usually take no longer than 15 minutes, or 1/2 hour if it is a big piece.

I don't know that roo tails will last long with Dante and they can be expensive. I bought some Kangaroo Jerky (the meat which is cut in strips and dried) yesterday - it was quite expensive and even with my little dogs, it didn't last long.

Yes. Ask the butcher to show them to you and they look like the classic cartoon bone :p with a big knob on either end and the straight bit in the middle. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Roo tails are a great teeth cleaner and are not expensive at all.

Knuckle bones/marrow bones can do more harm than good,many dogs break their teeth on them.

I give my labs chuck bones. They are sections of a cows spinal column and with a sharp filleting knife you can cut them into individual vertebrae (if you are willing to go to the effort it is better than the butcher sawing them up). They are big enough not to be swallowed whole but are not as hard as weight bearing bones. They have almost not fat on them and no marrow and a good butcher will leave a decent amount of meat on them. Because they are an irregular shape the teeth get a good scraping. They cleaned up my labs teeth in a couple of weeks.

Yes. Ask the butcher to show them to you and they look like the classic cartoon bone :thumbsup: with a big knob on either end and the straight bit in the middle. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Roo tails are a great teeth cleaner and are not expensive at all.

Knuckle bones/marrow bones can do more harm than good,many dogs break their teeth on them.

Can roo tails be purchased at the butchers? and do they have a lot of meat on them? I am looking for some bones that does not have much meat on them but is safe to chew and consume.

Can roo tails be purchased at the butchers? and do they have a lot of meat on them? I am looking for some bones that does not have much meat on them but is safe to chew and consume.

I've never seen them at a butchers,usually only at petfood shops.They can have a fair amount of meat on them,depending on the size.

Lamb necks should do the job,most good butchers sell them.