Can Bones Cause Diarrohea?

Hi, I have a 12 month old toy poodle who last night was going to the toilet with runny stools. Yesterday I gave her a raw lamb neck for the first time as a friend told me the chicken neck I was giving her everyday was not good enough to clean her teeth and to prevent decay. Is this true? And could the lamb be the problem? I would appreciate some feedback as I am a first time dog owner. She never usually goes to the toilet in the middle of the night and jsut sleeps beside my bed all night.

Any sudden change in diet can cause diarrhoea. Maybe she had a bit too much? Lamb is very fatty.

A lot of people on DOL recommend giving the whole chicken frame to the dog. I can't help with the chicken necks vs lamb necks in terms of keeping teeth clean because my dogs won't eat chicken necks and lamb is too fatty for them.

Don't worry too much, but just keep an eye on her and if it continues, off to the vet.

Thanks everyone, that info was really good. I've heard of chicken frames being good but do you think I could give her a whole one as she is very little and seems to have a fairly small appetite. Do brisket bones look really fatty too? i think I asked the butcher for some a few months ago and it looked like one half of the photo was covered in a white fatty skin?? meat?? I didn't end up giving it to her.

Edited by Gailb

Any sudden change in diet can cause diarrhoea. Maybe she had a bit too much? Lamb is very fatty.

A lot of people on DOL recommend giving the whole chicken frame to the dog. I can't help with the chicken necks vs lamb necks in terms of keeping teeth clean because my dogs won't eat chicken necks and lamb is too fatty for them.

Don't worry too much, but just keep an eye on her and if it continues, off to the vet.

Hi Cynthia, As she is only a tiny poodle do you think a whole chicken frame would be ok? Or would I have to monitor her eating it then take it away.

After having a few tummy episodes with various bones, I usually stick to chicken frames :thumbsup: The only reason I don't use chicken necks are because they swallow them whole :laugh:

You're right, Missy doesn't swallow the necks whole but she finishes one in under 2 minutes i reckon. That's why my friend said she was not getting the benefit of cleaning her teeth from the necks. Do you think the chicken frame would be too big for a toy poodle??

Thanks everyone, that info was really good. I've heard of chicken frames being good but do you think I could give her a whole one as she is very little and seems to have a fairly small appetite. Do brisket bones look really fatty too? i think I asked the butcher for some a few months ago and it looked like one half of the photo was covered in a white fatty skin?? meat?? I didn't end up giving it to her.

If the whole frame is too big you can just use a meat cleaver to cut it in half or even quarters and feed her a bit eack day :thumbsup:

Otherwise try chicken wings or thighs.

The lamb neck might have been a bit rich and fatty for her if she's never had it before. You might have to introduce the lamb slowly a little bit at a time and see if that solve's the problem. Lamb flaps are good and you can cut them up into smaller pieces and just feed one or 2 ribs at a time.

And if the bones look to fatty just cut it off first.

Use kitchen scissors to cut the frame into quarters or halves if you think it's too big. Wings are fattier than frames generally, I think it is the skin - I'm just changing my girl back to frames as she was getting a bit podgy on wings for brekky. Bit of a pest b/c the frames take up more room in the freezer.

I was also finding that her stools are a bit soft - she usually goes two or three times on a walk, the first time they were formed, but the second (and third if done) were runny. Hopefully the change will help that too.

I would be careful with the wings due to the fat around them, the fat is right under the skin so to reduce the fat content, you need to skin whatever part you give her as opposed to chicken frames which are just that: the frames when all the meat has been taken off.

Re the frames and their size: what Greytdog and SecretKei have said.

How is she today? Hope she is better .

Edited by _Cynthia_

If the whole frame is too big you can just use a meat cleaver to cut it in half or even quarters and feed her a bit eack day :laugh:

Otherwise try chicken wings or thighs.

The lamb neck might have been a bit rich and fatty for her if she's never had it before. You might have to introduce the lamb slowly a little bit at a time and see if that solve's the problem. Lamb flaps are good and you can cut them up into smaller pieces and just feed one or 2 ribs at a time.

And if the bones look to fatty just cut it off first.

Ditto this advice. I clobber chicken frames with a meat clever for lots of small dogs in the boarding kennel . . . removing globs of fat and skin first. This generally results in very firm poohs, rarely soft/runny ones.