Aborting Pups

Kyra

I was wondering what the latest puppies can be aborted?

My friends mix breed has started showing she's pregnant, the dog hasn't got out of the yard and she has no other dogs so she has no idea how it happened. She doesn't want more pups in the world so thought i'd ask here. Thanks

Has she been checked out by a vet - it's possible she is having a phantom - mine all phantom, increased weight, nesting and produce milk.

Tell her to get the bitch checked out and discuss it with the vet.

Edited by Andisa

When did she start her season? I would hope that someone that has an entire female would know this.

I would desex at the same time as aborting.

Why hasn't she taken her to the vets yet?

Edited by puggy_puggy

I have no idea when she was in season.. I got a call from her today asking whether she sounds pregnant :rofl:

I told her to take the dog to the vet to get checked. She just said her tummy looks like a barrel and she's eating like a horse.

As others have said, it could be a phantom - I'd be straight off to the vet for a check-up. If it turns out that she is indeed pregnant, I think desexing would be the best option. Alizin (the abortion injection) can be used up to 45 days post-mating but in late-term abortions it's effectiveness is reduced to around 95%.

For someone who "doesn't want more pups in the world" one would think she would have had her dog desexed at 6 months old! That is surely not responsible dog ownership!

I have a Dobermann bitch who has a phantom after every season and even has produced milk - so hopefully it could just be a phantom.

Either way the dog should be taken to the vet and booked in asap for desexing - if she is pregnant they will sort that out during the surgery.

When I adopted my girl from the pound she went to get desexed and when they opened her up she was already pregnant :thumbsup: believed to be in the first trimester so they continued with the desexing and aborted at the same time. Made the surgery more intense and bit longer recovery but other than that all went well. It makes it easier to have 1 surgery and all fixed.

She just said her tummy looks like a barrel and she's eating like a horse.

So did Chloe's last year - she actually looked pregnant her belly was so swollen (but she's desexed), and she was ravenous 24/7 - she was diagnosed with Cushings disease.

She needs to see a vet.

For someone who "doesn't want more pups in the world" one would think she would have had her dog desexed at 6 months old! That is surely not responsible dog ownership!

this annoys me, many many people can have entire animals and not have puppies, i know many entire bitches and dogs who have fantastic owners and have never had a puppy. My dog was 3 when desexed and i never had a problem with him and he was only desexed for health reasons otherwise he wouldnt have been done!

I agree with the rest, vet trip, it could be puppies, it could be something else!

So did Chloe's last year - she actually looked pregnant her belly was so swollen (but she's desexed), and she was ravenous 24/7 - she was diagnosed with Cushings disease.

She needs to see a vet.

Aw crap :)

Friend took her to the vet after work yesterday and she is in fact pregnant. The dog was bought as an English Mastiff but turns out she has a bit of rottie in her.

She is getting desexed. :cheer: Still a mystery as to how it happened.

Allizin will allow up to 45 days. Obviously you want to do it sooner than later because the bitch will abort and can pass the foetuses. It is two injections 24 hours apart.

Otherwise desexing like others have said. It is a more complicated and intensive surgery and will cost more and maybe be a longer recovery time. Personallyl, I would like a really good vet who you trust to do a desexing while pregnant.

this annoys me, many many people can have entire animals and not have puppies, i know many entire bitches and dogs who have fantastic owners and have never had a puppy. My dog was 3 when desexed and i never had a problem with him and he was only desexed for health reasons otherwise he wouldnt have been done!

I agree with the rest, vet trip, it could be puppies, it could be something else!

I myself have 2 Dobermanns that are entire - but they are both Australian Champion Show Dogs and will be bred from and used for stud.

If a dog is just a pet and is not a pedigree purebred dog then it should not be kept entire for any longer than 6 months or you will be asking for the problems you friend is now facing. There are enough backyard breeders out there breeding yet more mutts that are not of high quality or are in the puppy mill "designer dog" fad that abounds at the moment. Responsible dog owners do desex their dogs so that they are more social and make better pets.

Get over your annoyance - because nothing annoys me more than fools who own entire male mutts that make excuses for their dogs aggression (or use the dog to compensate for their own small appendages LOL) or who have bitches that end up pregnant to an unknown male and therefore put the bitch in jeopardy as they have no idea what will happen when they are whelped. Breeding a dog is something that only good breeders should persue - BYB annoy the hell out of me as they do not care about health testing or genetics nor the fact that finding worthy homes for puppies is no easy task.

Also keeping dogs entire and not breeding them can cause many health issues in the future and is not recommended by vets.

Also keeping dogs entire and not breeding them can cause many health issues in the future and is not recommended by vets.

Is it the "not breeding" that causes the entire dogs to have health issues? I hadn't heard that.

Edited by Erny

Is it the "not breeding" that causes the entire dogs to have health issues? I hadn't heard that.

i think that with bitches they can have more problems if the keep going into heat but are never bred. i can't remember what the condition is called though, sorry.

i don't think males have the same issue.

I was talking to a vet at work, and for females, it goes something like this

First season: small increase in chance of pyometra, other hormonal related problems

Second season: larger increase in chance of pyometra, other hormonal related problems

Third season: same chance as getting pyometra, other hormonal problems as if the female were entire her full life.

Dont ask me for references, just going off what my vet said. Im not too sure about an entire bitch who gets bred having less problems than an entire bitch that doesnt get bred.